Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Public Beta

With these new measurement based preamp tube types, the door is open for virtual preamp tube rollling. Anyone have some good NOS tubes to send to Cliff for parameterization? :)

Thanks. I've been exploring both the Carol Ann cleans lately. Great amps!
they are for sure… gorgeous amps..

the reason for this stereo cab choice is that my riffing tone uses a pair of amps
the TV works nice with the 5153Red on one side, and the AX works nice with the HerbertCh3 on the other..
in my soloing scene [which is just the 5153Red panned centre] and the clean scene [the Turcana Clean panned centre] I do nothing with the cabs.. just like with my live rig, the pair of 4x12 cabs just stay as they are..

lil' thing to note..
in the cab page I like to turn the motor drive up to around 3 or 4..
make the cabs sound like they're actually doing something for a living
I don't know exactly what 'stuff' it's doing to the tone.. I just know that it's good stuff if used in moderation..

The beta sounds really good. touch sensitivity and pinch harmonics are more noticeable, amp distortion is more raw/complex? but very nice

Seems to have a little less bounce than v2? or maybe its just a little different? more controlled?

Thanks Cliff for the EF86 tube. I have been trying to obtain the sound of the early AC15 and AC30-4 both of which used this preamp tube.
It's really great to get those sounds with the drive less than 3 on those "Class A" models. Thanks so much.

I might also add that the early AC15's had a "Bright Cap" value of 250pf (as per the published schematics) which helps suppress the slightly "darker" nature of the EF86.
Lastly, I'm not sure if the Preamp Hardness should default to 5.6. Having owned a custom built AC30 with an EF86 channel, it always seemed to me to have quite a long "slope" for the "break-up" to show full saturation. Maybe I should experiment with the "Harmonics" parameter!
Thanks Cliff and the team.

The beta sounds really good. touch sensitivity and pinch harmonics are more noticeable, amp distortion is more raw/complex? but very nice

Seems to have a little less bounce than v2? or maybe its just a little different? more controlled?
Yeah maybe less bounce and a little stiff on high gain? I'll try again. I usually have to go back and forth a few times from old to new firmware to get a feel for it.

Yeah maybe less bounce and a little stiff on high gain? I'll try again. I usually have to go back and forth a few times from old to new firmware to get a feel for it.

I'm not sure about bounce. My preset I was working in was a Euro Red Modern. Without resetting the amp block it seemed there was just slightly less gain after the update, but I think just a bit more warmth, richness and accurate boogie-esqueness (excuse the fact that mesa boogie was my only tube amp). Of course, resetting the amp block makes it hard to make any comparison, and I did not have a virgin "default amp parameter" preset.To approximate the same sound I raised the drive by about 1.5. I could be imagining things of course.

So I wonder, has anyone A-B'd the default parameters and found any specific change in recto type amps in 2.01?

That has been fixed.

Awesome!

I found one thing that wasn't mentioned, too: a new mic in the cabinet block called "invert." Not familiar with that brand. ;-) Seriously, not sure how I'd use that, but it is there. Could be cool with enough delay.

But...the new preamp tubes are very cool! Got an '86 in there now, but you guys should really try out the two new 12AX7 variants in there. Both are really great!

And using some of the new features I was able to get rid of an issue I was having with the Hot Cat model on lower gain settings, where the treble distortion was pretty unpleasant. Able to dial in everything from ice pick in the forehead all the way down to smoove.

Thanks, FAS! Very substantial improvements here.

I'm really liking this new beta; I like it better than the 2.0., if it can be believed. Of course, I have had extra time to practice lately, and have a nice new pick with a dash of "liquid skin" on it. It could just be that.

Going to have to try reinstalling on my Axe... 2.01 is resulting in about 9 out of 10 amps/patches being nearly inaudible, while then then 1 out of 10 is super loud. These things can happen I suppose....

Try rebooting, and see if that helps. I had that problem, too, for a moment, and restarted, and then things were fine.

Back
Top Bottom