Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Public Beta Zwei

Just upgraded yesterday, like what I've heard so far, and noticed something that may be an issue:

- Turning the physical knob on the front for Out 1 caused some digital artifact sound, sort of like when tweaking parameters or moving an expression pedal at high CPU levels. The patch I was on was only around 70-80% CPU utilization, not moving any expression pedals, just turning the Out 1 knob without actually playing anything. I did have MFC-101 plugged in, and AxeEdit was connected (but not making any changes on it). The artifacts I heard are similar to clicks and pops, some type of discontinuity, but not like the abruptness of an audio buffer underflow.

Whatever you did Cliff, my chugga chugga Angle is back to awesome again!!! Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Question for Cliff if he sees this...

With regard to the Rectos, in the past I believe you said putting the supply sag around 2 to 4 simulates Diode Rectifier, and around 6 simulates Tube Tracking. Since there have been quite a few improvements to poweramp modeling in quantum, does this still apply?

thanks!

Just upgraded yesterday, like what I've heard so far, and noticed something that may be an issue:

- Turning the physical knob on the front for Out 1 caused some digital artifact sound, sort of like when tweaking parameters or moving an expression pedal at high CPU levels. The patch I was on was only around 70-80% CPU utilization, not moving any expression pedals, just turning the Out 1 knob without actually playing anything. I did have MFC-101 plugged in, and AxeEdit was connected (but not making any changes on it). The artifacts I heard are similar to clicks and pops, some type of discontinuity, but not like the abruptness of an audio buffer underflow.

Are you sure it's not just normal (pg 15 in the manual)? Remember, they aren't simple resistive pots...

RR

Dang it! There was a run on the hyperbole bank and they're all out of superlatives. Now I just don't know what I can use to pay for this!

It's just so.... :D
I've probably commented on my lack of experience and shoddy playing skills, having never heard the vast majority of modeled amps and effects in real life, etc. Occasional gushing for the genius at work here and sincere thanks for the pursuit of perfection are about I'll I can come up with. ;-) With that said, the improvements in sound are real and noticeable even to my relatively untrained ear. My AC30 U2 presets that I'm most familiar with have really started to sound great with very little tweaking on my end. My wife has even commented on how good it's sounding and my playing has only improved marginally. Immensely satisfied with my XL and Fractal!

Had a second round with the new beta, with a more familiar guitar. I'm really liking the low, mid and high gain sounds. I didn't have time to experiment with the cleans but some really nice things going on with the others.

Don't know if this is a smart thing to do or not.

I was messing around with the "Null" mic and "Proximity" controls in the cab block. I found that if I set the Proximity Frequency to match the Low Resonance frequency in the Speaker tab of the Amp block, and set Proximity at about 2 or 3, depending on the cab; there's lots of resonant cabiness on palm mutes / high gain. In fact lots of weighty feel to the notes all over the fingerboard. Might be too much low end in a mix. Don't know yet.

Obviously not using any or very little bass in the B/M/T controls on the amp block.

Stupid? Probably. Just sharing my latest stupid experiment.

Yeah! so knock of the lolly gagin around the forum dude ;)

On serious note... Thanks for giving me what I've been looking for the last 45 years, and that on a silver platter! Great times for guitarists!

I know, I'm slacking off.

Cliff, I know at last count you had two helicopters and a Ferrari with a big "Fractal" sign on the grill made of diamonds and seats wrapped in rare white tiger fur but other than that, any new purchases lately?

:)

On a serious note, love this latest firmware!! I know a lot of us talk about "amp in the room" sound and how it is hard to capture that "depth" of hearing a real tube amp in an environment. I don't understand a lot of how you do your magic but seems like each update captures more of that.

I was talking with a friend at work and we were talking about the difference between technology now versus in the past. The first LINE 6 POD was huge to guitarists because it captured tones we had not heard before. The cool thing now is that you guys are capturing "feel" and when that is combined with the tones, it just sounds so great. Like we have said many times on this forum, for a lot of these tones to really be authentic, it is about gathering ALL of the parts of an amp.

Thanks to everyone at Fractal for your hard work all these years. Probably saved my marriage and my back since I no longer bring tube amps into the house on a monthly basis. :)

• Change “Thru” bypass mode so that effect input is muted. This prevents, for example, delays from creating echoes when engaged.

Isn't this what "Mute FX In" is for? I can see how this could solve certain problems. But it also seems it could cause others for presets written using the current Thru behavior. Having the level set to unity with the input muted is a great idea though. Perhaps a new mode instead of a replacement, considering how fundamental this parameter is?

Last edited:
Isn't this what "Mute FX In" is for? I can see how this could solve certain problems. But it also seems it could cause others for presets written using the current Thru behavior. Having the level set to unity with the input muted is a great idea though. Perhaps a new mode instead of a replacement, considering how fundamental this parameter is?

No, Mute FX In mutes only the effect input while preserving the wet signal. If you can provide an example of how the change impacts existing presets we will gladly create a new mode. As of yet the change has not impacted any presets we have tested.

Back
Top Bottom