Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Firmware Release

Really very interesting! I am going to the deep web (youtube) right away to delve into and better grasp how the pre and power amp influences tone. I used to "know" this stuff, but really I never think I was very much in the actual know, as opposed to the "everyone knows" group.

That way, when the 2.02 beta comes out I can make a committed decision. Lol, when have I ever decided NOT to use Cliff's firmware. But at least this way I can say (with a prayer of being believed) I am no follower. Now, I don't mean cathode follower. Still a lot more to learn about cathode followers, but I say don't trust 'em with your modeled belief systems. And don't be indecisive. But do try authentic, fresh made waffles.

Last edited:
Before reverting I felt like my picking was reacting weird with my strings. not as smooth. I was struggling more. Reverted and it seems better. Or, I'm crazy!

Last edited:
After lots of critical listening and comparing I agree. 2.02 is in beta test right now and uses the preamp modeling of 2.00 with the power amp modeling of 2.01 (which I feel is markedly better).

This is why I love you man, I know in your heart you always want the best, and am So Grateful you found the things I and some others were hearing, thank you so much!!

After lots of critical listening and comparing I agree. 2.02 is in beta test right now and uses the preamp modeling of 2.00 with the power amp modeling of 2.01 (which I feel is markedly better).
Absolutely love FAS dedication to high end quality and service.
Again: my best toy, worthing every cent !

:tearsofjoy: "Please modify my amb, but don´t change sound and feeling!" :tearsofjoy:
Why you go one step back on the coming FW? Thats what the AxeFx need:
the feeling of a real Amp/Cab.
The AxeFx sounds very very .... good - thats ChampionsLeague.
But the feeling is not the same as a real Amp/Cab. I miss the dynamik
of my Tweed Deluxe. I can´t feel the hard work of my Marshall-Head, when
I play chords. The upchuck of Poweramp/Cab cause the combination have
a torture to create the sound.
I don´t know, how I should describe this feeling?!
FW2.01 is IMO the right way!!

I agree with your statement; however, "what sounds good" is a subjective goal while "closer to the sound of the modeled amp" is an objective goal. As far as I know, FAS has always aimed to nail the sound of the modeled amp as accurately as possIble.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at; I'm not sure if reverting to the 2.00 preamps is using a less accurate but better sounding preamp tube model, and how that fits in with Cliff's grand scheme of making this as accurate as possible. The 2.01 release notes clearly state that the preamp tube models are hyper-accurate, so I was a little confused. I'm all for what sounds best, myself, and don't like sweating the minutia when my Axe is literally blowing my brains out with good tone :)

You forum people are lunatics...and I mean that in the nicest possible way. I am totally enamored my XL+, but this insane screaming for the next release 5 min after the last one is just crazy. What more do you people want? Doesn't it already do enough? ;)

RR

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at; I'm not sure if reverting to the 2.00 preamps is using a less accurate but better sounding preamp tube model, and how that fits in with Cliff's grand scheme of making this as accurate as possible. The 2.01 release notes clearly state that the preamp tube models are hyper-accurate, so I was a little confused. I'm all for what sounds best, myself, and don't like sweating the minutia when my Axe is literally blowing my brains out with good tone :)

I prefer accurate models (even if they sound "worst" than the idealized version). I use the tools in the Axe to "idealize" the model if I feel it is needed. If I can't get the sound I want after utilizing the tools in the Axe (adding compression, changing IRs, etc.), which is a rare occurrence, I just change the amp model and start from zero.

People need to understand that "more accurate" is not equal to "better sound and feel", sometimes the opposite is true; you undertand that concept, I wish everyone else did.

Sorry, didn't mean to provoke an "avalanch", I mean, that it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wasn't good at all. Unfortunately for my guitar occupations I'm on a jobtravel for two weeks since yesterday and didn't have the opportunity to load and test 2.02, but I am intimately convinced that it rejoined the consistently upgoing quality of FAS FW history. Thanks a lot for all you do for the guitar playing community, and even more for guys like me that are far from being professionnals.

Back
Top Bottom