Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Firmware Release

Using global amps in your presets makes it so much easier when you do have to make changes. I can't believe there are still those that don't use them.
They are great. I use them for my main amp model for my patches. I dont like how they are tied to amp1 or amp2 though.

I've never used global amps. So, out of curiosity: do scene controllers still work independently per preset if I were to use global amps? I use a scene controller tied to the gain knob in all my presets, but I'm varying the amount of gain it sets for different presets. If the global amp just has one fixed value for gain, but the scene controller can override that value and set it independently from what's stored in the global amp, then I can see myself starting to use global amps. Does anyone know if it works that way?

edit- ack, bit of a thread derail, sorry. Appreciating the new firmware, looking forward to play with it after I'm done with a gig next week. :)

Ooops, tried Q2.01 without any tweaks after upgrading with the band yesterday and is the 1st update that IMHO is a regression since the FW14-> FW15 that wasn't a succes (for me). Feels like a blanket got thrown over the amps. Will have to switch back as it nerves the band. Maybe later though..

I've never used global amps. So, out of curiosity: do scene controllers still work independently per preset if I were to use global amps? I use a scene controller tied to the gain knob in all my presets, but I'm varying the amount of gain it sets for different presets. If the global amp just has one fixed value for gain, but the scene controller can override that value and set it independently from what's stored in the global amp, then I can see myself starting to use global amps. Does anyone know if it works that way?

edit- ack, bit of a thread derail, sorry. Appreciating the new firmware, looking forward to play with it after I'm done with a gig next week. :)
Scene Controllers are your best friend and are stored per preset. If you call up a global block (i.e. amp) you have to initiate the use of Scene Controllers (or any controller) for the parameter you like to control. Then you have to set the values of the Scene Controllers for the Scenes in that specific preset and save this. As the gain (Input Drive) will affect the overall volume of the preset/Scene (assuming you are not running at drive levels causing distortion/compression) you have to balance the level of the preset. This can of course also be handled by attaching the second Scene Controller to the Master Volume or Level. Finally you also have the Main volume in the Output mixer (assuming you are using Axe Edit but this can of course also be done from the front panel) which also is stored per Scene but it is not possible to attach any Controller to the Main volume.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Ooops, tried Q2.01 without any tweaks after upgrading with the band yesterday and is the 1st update that IMHO is a regression since the FW14-> FW15 that wasn't a succes (for me). Feels like a blanket got thrown over the amps. Will have to switch back as it nerves the band. Maybe later though..
Some amps need a slight re-tweak more than others but once you have done that you'll never look back. I was very happy with my sounds many FW's ago and now .... I don't know what to say - I just can't stop smiling when I play and I can't stop playing. It is THAT good now. My rig is Axe Fx XL, MFC-101 Mk III and two CLR's (rehersal and gigs) or two RCF NX12-SMA (at home).

Scene Controllers are your best friend and are stored per preset. If you call up a global block (i.e. amp) you have to initiate the use of Scene Controllers (or any controller) for the parameter you like to control. Then you have to set the values of the Scene Controllers for the Scenes in that specific preset and save this. As the gain (Input Drive) will affect the overall volume of the preset/Scene (assuming you are not running at drive levels causing distortion/compression) you have to balance the level of the preset. This can of course also be handled by attaching the second Scene Controller to the Master Volume or Level. Finally you also have the Main volume in the Output mixer (assuming you are using Axe Edit but this can of course also be done from the front panel) which also is stored per Scene but it is not possible to attach any Controller to the Main volume.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks, very clear and helpful! Good to know scene controllers can be used in conjuction with global blocks, while maintaining a per-preset approach. Will definitely try this when I revisit my presets after the firmware upgrade. :)

I used to handle gain+volume changes with the same scene controller, because I'm using the other one to control the amount of reverb. For my purposes the increments in gain are not that shocking that I really need to adjust the volume (it's mainly for solo adjustments on already overdriven sounds), so I have just the gain parameter tied to a scene controller now.

After lots of critical listening and comparing I agree. 2.02 is in beta test right now and uses the preamp modeling of 2.00 with the power amp modeling of 2.01 (which I feel is markedly better).

After lots of critical listening and comparing I agree. 2.02 is in beta test right now and uses the preamp modeling of 2.00 with the power amp modeling of 2.01 (which I feel is markedly better).

Will this delay the AX8 firmware release, so AX8 users get to jump in on the Q2 bandwagon at 2.02?

Wow, the best of 2 worlds! Great Cliff wants only the best of the best!
It will delay the AX8 FW release I guess....but for the better!

So I was sort of right when I mentioned having some problems with 2.01 compared to 2.0? Switching back and forth, I like the tones of all amps a bit better in 2.0 but they do sound good in 2.01.

Someone posted some sounds in this thread where you can really hear the power amp section being stronger. If I'm understanding you correctly Cliff, I would agree to go with the 2.0 pre and the 2.01 power amp. Hopefully this fixes some of the little things I was experiencing. Thanks for your hard work Cliff.

Back
Top Bottom