Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Firmware Release

Cliff, any chance there could be something overlooked in 800 mod and afs 2 that may make them a little more harsh than they should be? Honest it's a night and day difference for the better when going back to 2.0. Any suggestions on what we could try to get things closer to what we had?

The Brit 800 Mod is not based on any real amp. It's based on my interpretation of what a modified JCM800 might be. Therefore there is no right or wrong for that "amp". I like the AFS2 far better in 2.01 and so do some of the beta testers. In fact that particular model was specifically noted as being greatly improved.

The Brit 800 Mod is not based on any real amp. It's based on my interpretation of what a modified JCM800 might be. Therefore there is no right or wrong for that "amp". I like the AFS2 far better in 2.01 and so do some of the beta testers. In fact that particular model was specifically noted as being greatly improved.

Interesting...I'm going to have to load this up and try it. I liked this amp but drifted off of it.

I was quite happy with all my presets at fw level 2.0 - but 2.01 is not my cup of tea! I restored 2.0 and look forward to 2.02 ......
  • :rolleyes:

I was quite happy with all my presets at fw level 2.0 - but 2.01 is not my cup of tea! I restored 2.0 and look forward to 2.02 ......
  • :rolleyes:
That is the great thing about FAS. If you dont like a particular firmware version there is always another great one coming shortly.

Is the CPU usage increase a thing on this update? Some of my Hi Gain profiles were at the 37% CPU usage and they're now at 54% (around 20% heavier). Using a XL+

I have. Something just sounds wrong with the 800 MOD and afs2. Brittle, not as tube responsive as when you roll back to 2.0.

Honestly not meaning to sound like I'm complaining. I guess you can say I'm a little let down that all the amps have improved for the better and the two favorites of mine that I rely on have taken a turn for the "no longer my cup of tea." I'm almost hoping Cliff says "oh crap guys, you're right....I gotta fix those!"

Cliff, any chance there could be something overlooked in 800 mod and afs 2 that may make them a little more harsh than they should be? Honest it's a night and day difference for the better when going back to 2.0. Any suggestions on what we could try to get things closer to what we had?

Could you be a victim of a glitchy firmware install? I don't know whether it's placebo when guys speak of this, but in the interest of being thorough and eliminating any doubt maybe a reinstall is in order?

I have the same issue as Danny with the Marshal type amps. Low Saturation and they seem like more sterile. Cliff, you know that when I was busing balls years ago about the TM not working correclty, and eventually it came to pass that there was an issue? This is one of those situations where I wouldn't of posted if I wasn't sure of what I am feeling and hearing, something went wrong, of course I don't know what, I wish I did so I could help myself and you.

I have the same issue as Danny with the Marshal type amps. Low Saturation and they seem like more sterile. Cliff, you know that when I was busing balls years ago about the TM not working correclty, and eventually it came to pass that there was an issue? This is one of those situations where I wouldn't of posted if I wasn't sure of what I am feeling and hearing, something went wrong, of course I don't know what, I wish I did so I could help myself and you.

These are new algorithms. It's apparent that some don't like them. All I can say is go back to 2.00. I'm tired of trying to appease the minority.

There is an option to choose between high quality and normal quality in the reverb screen. High quality uses more CPU resources.
Sorry. What I meant is that my presets have those in HiRes as "default". Just did a reinstall and the CPU usage dropped between 5 and 10%.... Weird.

These are new algorithms. It's apparent that some don't like them. All I can say is go back to 2.00. I'm tired of trying to appease the minority.

What i'd like to try first is rebuilding the Presets. Because maybe I need to just adjust things to get it back to where it sounds like I am use to the Marshalls sounding. I Just wanted to post here to let the other guys know who have had the same problems that picky/normally correct me also has the issue. Sadly I've been so busy that I have not had time to do any tweaking since update. I will post back here if after tweaking things come back around, if not I will only post if I find anything that seems odd, only to try and get some input on what if anything it could mean. And lastly, sorry Cliff if I came off jerky, been a long day and I wrote that post really quick, and with my situation If I don't think things out long enough and take time before I write, I can come off a bit short, when I am not even trying to be.

What i'd like to try first is rebuilding the Presets. Because maybe I need to just adjust things to get it back to where it sounds like I am use to the Marshalls sounding. I Just wanted to post here to let the other guys know who have had the same problems that picky/normally correct me also has the issue. Sadly I've been so busy that I have not had time to do any tweaking since update. I will post back here if after tweaking things come back around, if not I will only post if I find anything that seems odd, only to try and get some input on what if anything it could mean. And lastly, sorry Cliff if I came off jerky, been a long day and I wrote that post really quick, and with my situation If I don't think things out long enough and take time before I write, I can come off a bit short, when I am not even trying to be.

I just did a blind test. I used the Plexi 50W Hi 1 and a version of that model from 2.00. All knobs set exactly the same. After randomizing the starting model I then A/B'd and selected which one I thought sounded best. In every case I picked the old model. Then I turned the gain up a little on the new model and repeated and in every case I picked the new model.

Moral of the story: the new models will not sound exactly like the old models at the same settings. If you tweak a bit you'll end up with something that sounds better.

Could you be a victim of a glitchy firmware install? I don't know whether it's placebo when guys speak of this, but in the interest of being thorough and eliminating any doubt maybe a reinstall is in order?

Anything is possible. I've installed and reinstalled 4 times going back and forth to 2.0. Each time, I seem to get a little closer to what I need in 2.01. This last time I made a series of recordings and it's sort of like I explained it in my other post.

I think I've just been lucky with these amps and I made them work for me in 2.0. Now that Cliff made them "right" they may not be for me. After further testing (I had a slow day today and worked on this stuff from 11 am until 6 pm) the amps in 2.01 literally sound more tubey than 2.0...but there is just this high end harshness that I can't control. They actually have more of a British Marshall...like literally the ones that you buy in England. I've always felt they were a little more harsh as well as louder than the US versions.

The break-up is better in 2.01...it just breaks up with a bit of something brittle that I'm still working on. I'm really bent on getting this the way I need it. Part of the brittle sound is due to the gain being a little lower. When you turn the gain up a bit, the harshness is less yet when you turn up the gain (I only use 4.50) it trips over itself and the lows seem loose. Tomorrow I'm going to experiment with less gain, turn boost on, and compress a bit more to make things tighter. I also made some gains with messing with some stuff I had never messed with before.

As for the AFS2, Cliff....there must have been something weird with my FW install. The last time I messed with this amp right before rehearsal, all it needed was a little more gain and a little lower number on the harmonic knob to make it sound the way I need it. So I'm good with that one. I just gotta get the 800 mod where I need it...I'm close! I'm excited to try and figure it out tomorrow.

If I figure anything out that makes sense to you guys having a few issues with these two amps, I will post my findings as well as a video in a new thread. I really think we are so used to these things being wrong, now that they are right....they are no longer right for us. But the AFS2 should be ok with a little work. I *may* have to just re-tone match on that and it will be perfect.

Every one of my presets sounds and feels noticeably better in 2.01, for a long list of (my) reasons that I'm sure no one else cares about (although yes, perhaps a couple of simple tweeks were needed).

Make old firmware available--whatever--just pleeze keep going forward rather than backward :)

Anything is possible. I've installed and reinstalled 4 times going back and forth to 2.0. Each time, I seem to get a little closer to what I need in 2.01. This last time I made a series of recordings and it's sort of like I explained it in my other post.

I think I've just been lucky with these amps and I made them work for me in 2.0. Now that Cliff made them "right" they may not be for me. After further testing (I had a slow day today and worked on this stuff from 11 am until 6 pm) the amps in 2.01 literally sound more tubey than 2.0...but there is just this high end harshness that I can't control. They actually have more of a British Marshall...like literally the ones that you buy in England. I've always felt they were a little more harsh as well as louder than the US versions.

The break-up is better in 2.01...it just breaks up with a bit of something brittle that I'm still working on. I'm really bent on getting this the way I need it. Part of the brittle sound is due to the gain being a little lower. When you turn the gain up a bit, the harshness is less yet when you turn up the gain (I only use 4.50) it trips over itself and the lows seem loose. Tomorrow I'm going to experiment with less gain, turn boost on, and compress a bit more to make things tighter. I also made some gains with messing with some stuff I had never messed with before.

As for the AFS2, Cliff....there must have been something weird with my FW install. The last time I messed with this amp right before rehearsal, all it needed was a little more gain and a little lower number on the harmonic knob to make it sound the way I need it. So I'm good with that one. I just gotta get the 800 mod where I need it...I'm close! I'm excited to try and figure it out tomorrow.

If I figure anything out that makes sense to you guys having a few issues with these two amps, I will post my findings as well as a video in a new thread. I really think we are so used to these things being wrong, now that they are right....they are no longer right for us. But the AFS2 should be ok with a little work. I *may* have to just re-tone match on that and it will be perfect.

I changed the 800 Mod considerably from 2.00. In 2.00 I was driving the last triode stage much harder but in real life you wouldn't be able to drive the stage that hard so I lowered it to a realistic value.

I always hated the AFS2 model. In 2.01 I like it a lot. I have an actual Slash signature model and spent a lot of time measuring, listening and comparing.

Back
Top Bottom