Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Firmware Release

I changed the 800 Mod considerably from 2.00. In 2.00 I was driving the last triode stage much harder but in real life you wouldn't be able to drive the stage that hard so I lowered it to a realistic value.

I always hated the AFS2 model. In 2.01 I like it a lot. I have an actual Slash signature model and spent a lot of time measuring, listening and comparing.

Cliff, is it possible for me to simulate that last triode thing with what we have now? Like, what would rock is...if I had the tubey sound we got now but have whatever the heck you took out in 2.0. LOL! Anything you would recommend me to try to sort of get that sound back other than going back to 2.0?

On the AFS2, you know I never loved it....but it was one of those amps that really accentuated those Eddie pinch harmonics better than some of the others. Now that you have more tubiness in the amps and that new harmonic knob (that was brilliant by the way and something I had hoped for...I call it the pinch harm knob lol) any of the Marshall amps can probably get a good VH sound with a tone match.

AFS 2 sounds great here. Maybe it's the IR(s) the people that aren't liking it are using. I'm using it with my go-to Marshall IR (CK Brit TV E906-MD421 B01) and with MV and Gain at around 6.5 and everything else at 12 o'clock it sounds beauty.

AFS 2 sounds great here. Maybe it's the IR(s) the people that aren't liking it are using. I'm using it with my go-to Marshall IR and with MV and Gain at around 6.5 and everything else at 12 o'clock it sounds beauty.

I'm using cabs 54 and 55, so I doubt the cabs are to blame. It did cross my mind though. I plan on initializing the amps and dialing in from scratch as soon as I can find the time, which prob won't be until Thurs. Did I mention I hate my job?!

Sorry, I updated my post to mention the cab right as you posted. Don't forget that amp is paired with V30's by the artist. (Even though the one I'm using it with has G12M‐25 Greenbacks.)

Anyone have a before/after clip ?

I did a comparison last week 2.0 - 2.01 beta zwo.

Fender Vibro AB OH V3 112 Alnico
Vox TB OH JY Cab
Vox TB + Treble Boost
Plexi High 2 CabIR cab PIN 68

I played each riff twice with Gibson Les Paul, the first one is always FW 2.0.

The last example is on 2.01. beta zwo with different volume knob settings .

The Plexi 2 50 high in the beta zwo sounds more "fat" - naturally, but cuts less.

Last edited:
Just updated to Q2.01 and all I can say it wow. Great tones are becoming more effortless to get.

I was already blown away with Q2.0 and this latest update seems to give me more organic feel and reponse that really translates through headphones. So definitely looking forward to giving a blast through my PA and Cab setup at rehearsal this weekend and get some air moving! :D

Don't have much to add other than a "thank you" to Cliff and everyone behind the Axe FX for their continued excellence. I really can't tell any difference anymore between firmware updates. You're beyond me at this point. The Axe FX sounded great to my ears a long time ago and continues to today.

I did a comparison last week 2.0 - 2.01 beta zwo.

Fender Vibro AB OH V3 112 Alnico
Vox TB OH JY Cab
Vox TB + Treble Boost
Plexi High 2 CabIR cab PIN 68

I played each riff twice with Gibson Les Paul, the first one is always FW 2.0.

The last example is on 2.01. beta zwo with different volume knob settings .

The Plexi 2 50 high in the beta zwo sounds more "fat" - naturally, but cuts less.

It all sounds great to me. Would sound right at home in Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!!

I just did a blind test. I used the Plexi 50W Hi 1 and a version of that model from 2.00. All knobs set exactly the same. After randomizing the starting model I then A/B'd and selected which one I thought sounded best. In every case I picked the old model. Then I turned the gain up a little on the new model and repeated and in every case I picked the new model.

Moral of the story: the new models will not sound exactly like the old models at the same settings. If you tweak a bit you'll end up with something that sounds better.

Awesome, That sounds like exactly what I need to do!!! Appreciate you going back like that and sharing your findings.

Moral of the story: the new models will not sound exactly like the old models at the same settings. If you tweak a bit you'll end up with something that sounds better.

Finally! A moral. "The new models will not sound exactly like the old models at the same settings." I had to really pause and enjoy that line..

And ponder for awhile. And look at the stars above my house. And ponder some more.

So we have learned something important. When there is a change in the processes BEHIND the settings, those values are just place holders for hopefully something similar - if the process is now different you will probably need to push some (at least basic) knobs in slightly different ways. Not necessarily always terrifying, unless a gig in front of the investor is15 minutes away.

It is a confrontable issue, albeit a deep one, that the EXACT effects of very advanced edits cannot necessarily ever be reproduced. Because those knob combinations are fairly infinite - and also, no more cheerfully, we all have to face death at least once.

But as every one of my religious fundamentalist friends always tells me, donate. Have a new Axe FX unit for each firmware you like. Simple. Zen like. patriotic. And snarky!

I miss my firmware updates. Send some more!

(I'm kidding, except the last sentence ;) I know users find very useful discoveries but I just couldn't resist mocking the situation where we are not sure how to dial in what we had, and apparently, while being a pain at times, it is often possible by starting from scratch.. Kind of like clearing the mind...)

Last edited:
I am really loving the Export to CSV feature in AxeEdit.

After upgrading from 2.0, I did a "reset" of my amp blocks by choosing a different amp model and then back, and redoing presence and master.

It was fine for everything except the SLO100. My SLO patch got worse. A lot worse.

So, I imported my backup presets one at a time and exported them to CSV. Then I exported the new "reset" versions to CSV and used the Windows DOS command "fc" to compare the two files.

Voila, for the SLO model, many parameters were changed by the "amp reset". As compared to my Deluxe Tweed where the only change was the Low Res settings in the SPKR page; totally fine.

I restored the SLO settings to the old ones, except for the SPKR page, and was back to my old tone with a little more sustain.

Anyone out there struggling with before and after, do the export and compare the two.

Using global amps in your presets makes it so much easier when you do have to make changes. I can't believe there are still those that don't use them.

Back
Top Bottom