Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Firmware Release

I feel the same way. Most of the amps seem to sound better except the Marshalls

I agree. Everything sounds fan-freakin-tastic except for my Marshall patches. Patches use Brit Super and AFS100 2. Can't put my finger on it either. I can enable the "ideal" saturation and adjust volumes afterwards to get it closer to before, but still not the same. On the other hand, my recto and hbe patches have never been better.

I agree. Everything sounds fan-freakin-tastic except for my Marshall patches. Patches use Brit Super and AFS100 2. Can't put my finger on it either. I can enable the "ideal" saturation and adjust volumes afterwards to get it closer to before, but still not the same. On the other hand, my recto and hbe patches have never been better.
Have you tried increasing the Harmonics parameter?

Very strange...
I've felt the same way (even before reading these recent posts about the afs 2)

It's all good at 2.01 beta.

Actually, decreasing the harmonics all the way to 0 on the AFS2 gets me closer to before than increasing it. I haven't rolled back to A/B it yet although I have plenty of raw stems I recorded with this same patch with 2.00 that I've been comparing to.

I have managed to get the Brit Super sounding better after tweaking some basic stuff. It's just the AFS amps I'm not thrilled about for some reason.

Actually, decreasing the harmonics all the way to 0 on the AFS2 gets me closer to before than increasing it. I haven't rolled back to A/B it yet although I have plenty of raw stems I recorded with this same patch with 2.00 that I've been comparing to.

Same here - i think many amps in 2.01 are getting more raw and direct if decreasing the the harmonic knob. Don´t know about the right technical explanation, but it feels and sounds better.

I have an XL and have noticed that the "Pwr Amp Grid Bias" (on the Power Sply page on Axe Edit) is 0.500 for most (or all?) of the Marshall and Marshallesqe amps. I re-loaded Q2.0 and the Marshalls seemed to be between 0.300 and 0,350. I did not check all the Marhall’s but at they had different values (presumably depending on the type of valves in the power amp section of the modelled amps) and none of those I checked had 0.500 as they now have in Q2.01. I don't want to shout "BUG" but it would be very nice if someone could confirm that the values for the Marshall's are correct (or wrong). For most other amps the value is 0.600 except from the class A amps (e.g. Vox) it is set at 1.000. I definitely remember having seen 1.000 for Vox and other class A amps and I also think I remember having seen around 0.600 for Fender amps (unfortunately I did not check those values after re-loading 2.0 and I'm now back on 2.01. I have also tried to re-set the amp block in all possible ways but the Pwr Amp Grid Bias defaults to 0.500. When I did the bias adjustment on my Marshall JVM 410c (which I sold after getting the Axe Fx - I noticed that the JVM only was collection dust ….and I have never looked back) I used to set it to between 0.30 and 0.35 which corresponds well with the values I found in Q2.0.

I guess one answer to my question is "use your ears, not your eyes and set it to where it sounds best" but if the 0.500 value is not correct, I think it should be corrected.

I have an XL and have noticed that the "Pwr Amp Grid Bias" (on the Power Sply page on Axe Edit) is 0.500 for most (or all?) of the Marshall and Marshallesqe amps. I re-loaded Q2.0 and the Marshalls seemed to be between 0.300 and 0,350. I did not check all the Marhall’s but at they had different values (presumably depending on the type of valves in the power amp section of the modelled amps) and none of those I checked had 0.500 as they now have in Q2.01. I don't want to shout "BUG" but it would be very nice if someone could confirm that the values for the Marshall's are correct (or wrong). For most other amps the value is 0.600 except from the class A amps (e.g. Vox) it is set at 1.000. I definitely remember having seen 1.000 for Vox and other class A amps and I also think I remember having seen around 0.600 for Fender amps (unfortunately I did not check those values after re-loading 2.0 and I'm now back on 2.01. I have also tried to re-set the amp block in all possible ways but the Pwr Amp Grid Bias defaults to 0.500. When I did the bias adjustment on my Marshall JVM 410c (which I sold after getting the Axe Fx - I noticed that the JVM only was collection dust ….and I have never looked back) I used to set it to between 0.30 and 0.35 which corresponds well with the values I found in Q2.0.

I guess one answer to my question is "use your ears, not your eyes and set it to where it sounds best" but if the 0.500 value is not correct, I think it should be corrected.

The new values are correct. The operation of the parameter is not the same as previous firmware.

Same here - i think many amps in 2.01 are getting more raw and direct if decreasing the the harmonic knob. Don´t know about the right technical explanation, but it feels and sounds better.
I tried this also and it helped but still not the same as my Marshall patches in 2.0. I rolled back to 2.0 and it's a big difference. They sound distant and thin in 2.1 compared to 2.0.

I tried this also and it helped but still not the same as my Marshall patches in 2.0. I rolled back to 2.0 and it's a big difference. They sound distant and thin in 2.1 compared to 2.0.

I'm going to go with this as well. I was using the plexi 50 for my STP patches, and we had a practice, and I upgraded right before, and no matter what I wasn't cutting in the mix at all, very low, no amount of volume could bring it up. I need to rework them to try to find something that works now, or change models..

The new values are correct. The operation of the parameter is not the same as previous firmware.
Thank you Sir for taking time to answer my question. My rig is Axe Fx II XL, MFC 101 MkIII and two CLR's (on rehersals and gigs) and two RCF NX12 SMA (at home). I get A LOT of compliments for my sound and quite often I dial in a new sound and just can't stop playing. Fractal gear is highly addictive ......
C:\Users\Bruker\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

I have managed to get the Brit Super sounding better after tweaking some basic stuff. It's just the AFS amps I'm not thrilled about for some reason.
Yeah, the AFS sounds more modeled now than real.

I have. Something just sounds wrong with the 800 MOD and afs2. Brittle, not as tube responsive as when you roll back to 2.0.

We seem to have picked up more of a transistor tone in those amps in my opinion. Harmonics knob is killer and just what we've needed, but though it gives the amps more of that starved plate 12ax7 sound when you go closer to 0, there's a harshness that just sounds weird that I can't seem to dial out.

What I've discovered for my personal use is, amp gain in 2.0 had a nice break-up. New fw we lost some gain and when you push amp gain a bit, it doesn't react like it did. It appears to get loose and sort of trips over itself compared to the last fw.

It gets better when I set that parameter next to crunch....(default is like 74% can't remember what it's called right now) to 10% and sag to 6.0. I tried resetting my parameters to old amp settings manually but there's still a harshness that I can't quite take out. Take out too much, amps are missing something. That happy medium is missing and it's just not kicking my butt like I hoped it would.

Honestly not meaning to sound like I'm complaining. I guess you can say I'm a little let down that all the amps have improved for the better and the two favorites of mine that I rely on have taken a turn for the "no longer my cup of tea." I'm almost hoping Cliff says "oh crap guys, you're right....I gotta fix those!"

Not done experimenting and haven't given up hope, but so far the easy tweaks, screen shots and manual editing aren't getting me where I would like to be.

I guess the truth is, this is how these amps probably sound for real. What sucks is, some of us wound up making them sound better than they actually do with the old settings.

I know I never had a Marshall that wasn't a bit brittle, but I've always made them work and sound creamy. It was a breath of fresh air to make these amps work so well with axefx. The afs2 is the amp I use for my vh tribute stuff and in its current state, it definitely won't work right.

Might be time for us to work with new amps, guys. I still think there is a bit of a harsh transistor sound going on, but if Cliff says this is authentic, it's time for me to make some of the others my favorites.

Cliff, any chance there could be something overlooked in 800 mod and afs 2 that may make them a little more harsh than they should be? Honest it's a night and day difference for the better when going back to 2.0. Any suggestions on what we could try to get things closer to what we had?

The only way I can explain it is, some of the other amps in 2.0 had this fake sound. They have all been improved with 2.01 and now these amps we are talking about have picked up that element the others had.

It's like, the amps sound more digital or something. Like the sound we got when you first started the whole G3 procedure until you honed it in. Some amps benefitted from G3 while others got that sonic, digital sound. At any rate, I'm still thankful for this update...I just wish my amps benefitted more positively.

Back
Top Bottom