Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

Changelog for Axe-Edit 3.5.1
1. Axe-Fx II XL and Axe-Fx II XL+ blocks can now be imported into Axe-Fx II Original/Mark II.

Please note: The Axe-Fx II Original/Mark II does not have X/Y switching for the Compressor, Gate/Expander, Graphic EQ, Mixer, Parametric EQ, or Tremolo/Panner blocks. Importing the aforementioned blocks into an Axe-Fx II Original/Mark II will only import the X settings.

Great news for people with older units!

Wow this is huge! Can XL presets be imported as well?

Wow this is huge! Can XL presets be imported as well?

Well, the blocks only...

Presets, Blocks, same end result if you have a diagram, but takes longer, right? (I forget, even if we can't load the XL preset into the unit, would there be a way to pause communication in Axe Edit, and then load/see an XL preset configuration?

Last edited:
I forget, even if we can't load the XL preset into the unit, would there be a way to pause communication in Axe Edit, and then load/see an XL preset configuration?
No. You need hardware attached to view a preset for that hardware. No offline/hardware-free way to view preset files.

Yes, I can see them on the front panel, and If I choose one there, I apparently get the correct amp (since I can see the Saturation control), but the amp name shows up as "5f1 Tweed."
Screen_Shot_2016_02_10_at_8_32_29_AM.png
Try this in Axe-Edit:

1) Settings
2) Preferences
3) Select "Refresh" (in the LEFT column)
4) Refresh "Block Definitions"

Attachments

• Axe-Edit.jpg
    Axe-Edit.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 19
Bears repeating. I wonder how many people interpret "do a refresh after updating" as selecting "Refresh Preset" from the Preset menu instead of selecting "Refresh after new FW" in the Settings menu.

I have explicitly done this, and AxeEdit then proceeds to spend several minutes downloading all kinds of stuff from the AxeFX. For me, this has not resulted in any of the JS amps appearing in the amp list.

A previous post indicated that it took several runs of this "Refresh" function before the JS amps appeared. I haven't tried this yet.

I had just about gotten to the point where I thought I'd never say this...

Something has finally unseated the Triptik as my favorite amp for cleans, and that something is the Trainwreck Rocket model.

I use the TWR often for crunch tones, but tonight I pulled down the MV to about noon, and wow, just... wow.

Gain on 3, BMT at 5/7/6, MV at 5 or 6, low cut & bright if you like, and that's it. Didn't touch the EQ, speaker or dynamics tabs. I think all I did was switch the preamp tube type to long plate and the MV Cap to 10.

NICE shimmer, just a touch of grit when you dig in, but still very smooth, no harshness to the bite, no barking as is common on some similar amp models when you run the MV lower than what's considered normal. Responds equally well with finger style. Sounds great on the neck or bridge, humbuckers or single coils.

Depending on your guitar, you may want to run a PEQ up front, wide mid boost around 725Hz and narrow cut around 8kHz - you don't need to cut mych, maybe 3dB.

Tomorrow night I'll experiment with the drive block along with it. If that goes well, this one preset could cover a ton of ground... jazz/fusion, ambient rock, modern country, maybe some smokey blues... gahhhdayum, how am I supposed to get any sleep tonight!?!?

Changelog for Axe-Edit 3.5.1
1. Axe-Fx II XL and Axe-Fx II XL+ blocks can now be imported into Axe-Fx II Original/Mark II.

Please note: The Axe-Fx II Original/Mark II does not have X/Y switching for the Compressor, Gate/Expander, Graphic EQ, Mixer, Parametric EQ, or Tremolo/Panner blocks. Importing the aforementioned blocks into an Axe-Fx II Original/Mark II will only import the X settings.

Great news for people with older units!
Mucho Gracias Cliff & Co!

Bears repeating. I wonder how many people interpret "do a refresh after updating" as selecting "Refresh Preset" from the Preset menu instead of selecting "Refresh after new FW" in the Settings menu.

I guess I'm one of those people. I didn't even know it was there. Usually, the first time I turn on Axe Edit after an update, it has me wait while it learns all of the new block definitions, so this is the first time I've ever felt the motivation to do it.

Good to go now, thanks, guys!

the JS amps were added. that does not mean the modeling was changed.

can you record a clip showing the difference between beta 2 HBE and the release HBE? i'd like to hear the differences.
I do not say that and i don`t do that because i think that kills my AXE:confused:
There were no changes to the modeling between that beta and the final release. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Worst case, use the beta.
yes i will use the beta with the JS:)410 in - maybe 2.01 and all works AXE EDIT...and so on.
Is it possible that you didn't reset your amps for the beta updates? This is something I've started thinking about because I'm a lazy-ass and generally don't reset anything when I update firmware because I don't feel like going into all my presets and screwing around with the amps blocks in them (if there was a global way to do this, I'd happily do it (and then probably complain about it :D). However, if the modelling doesn't change between now and Quantum 5 and don't reset my amp blocks until Quantum 5, I might think Quantum 5 "screwed up my amps" even though the changes that are actually affecting things happened many firmware revisions before. Just a thought.
-
Austin
no, i reset the amps after every new firmware, the Friedman is now lazy when i turn up the volume on the guitar:rolleyes:

I have explicitly done this, and AxeEdit then proceeds to spend several minutes downloading all kinds of stuff from the AxeFX. For me, this has not resulted in any of the JS amps appearing in the amp list.

A previous post indicated that it took several runs of this "Refresh" function before the JS amps appeared. I haven't tried this yet.

I think that is mis-information. If you are on the latest AxeEdit, one Refresh after new firmware should do it.

I did get out of sync too. The sequence that got my AxeEdit out of sync was:

1. Load FWQ2.0 with the old AxeEdit.
2. AxeEdit refreshed blocks automatically.
3. The new AxeEdit was released.
4. The old AxeEdit prompted me to update AxeEdit to the latest version.
5. After upgrading AxeEdit, I needed to do a manual Refresh after firmware.

Something went awry between the install of the latest AxeEdit that I needed to refresh manually.

Tomorrow night I'll experiment with the drive block along with it. If that goes well, this one preset could cover a ton of ground... jazz/fusion, ambient rock, modern country, maybe some smokey blues... gahhhdayum, how am I supposed to get any sleep tonight!?!?

Thanks for the tips Rotti, excited to try the Triptik out ;) . As far as Quantum in general, props to the FAS team for making it easier, simpler and funner (sp) for getting that tone more quickly. I love it! Both on AFX II and AX8, it's a simple blast and a half. THANKS FAS!!!

Thanks for the tips Rotti, excited to try the Triptik out ;) . As far as Quantum in general, props to the FAS team for making it easier, simpler and funner (sp) for getting that tone more quickly. I love it! Both on AFX II and AX8, it's a simple blast and a half. THANKS FAS!!!

Just to clarify, those settings, I was talking about the Trainwreck Rocket, not the Triptik.

The Triptik is what I used for cleans before Q2, but it's still as badass as ever, so still worth spending some time with!

Here's a preset with a little more tweeking on the Trainwreck. It's set up for running through a traditional cab, so if you're FRFR/monitors/headphones, just delete the looper or something to toss in a cab block.

Attachments

• Trainwreck Cleans.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 21
Wrong refresh. You want "Refresh Block Definitions".

Thanks.

Fired it up this morning, said there was a newer version of AxeEdit, I let run and the JS amps were there.

My ears are still ringing (the wife's at work). Spent couple of hours messing with the JS amps. I really like the Crunch Red. It took about 5 minutes to dial in a really nice lead tone with it, and then I spent a while noodling over a bunch of backing tracks on YouTube.

It even sounded good (although a little weird) over a 60's Rock and Roll backing. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom