Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

It's not impossible but it has implementation difficulties. The main problem is that the amp block is nonlinear and therefore oversamples the data.

Clif - thanks very much for your input!

If it happens - great. I'd rather the CPU hit than the latency but either way I appreciate it's very much a 'nice to have'. There seem to be a lot of people out there who aren't bothered about such a feature.

cheers

I'm gonna weigh in on the opposite side of the discussion .... My presets are already pushing the upper 80 %'tile range and I'm not interested in any additional CPU or latency ....

Sometimes I use the Pitch block in the 1st position to downtune my guitar to Eb and that already seems to add enough X-tra latency that I can both feel & hear ....

So if you do ever consider something like this, please make sure it's defeat-able with a switch ( or something similar ) !

THANKS !

refresh axe edit - check

To refresh the actual amps, I need to pick a preset and change the amp to something different and back to the original, correct?

Is there a recognised and foolproof (i.e. me proof ;)) procedure for using the existing Factory Presets but inheriting the new amp modelling, following update to Quantum 2.0? I understand you can apply new modelling at a preset level (by switching and then reselecting the amp) but I thought this means losing the preset settings and has to be done on each preset individually.

I know this is discussed frequently - sorry if I am being a dunce. o_O

Would really appreciate your guidance.

Cheers Gilesy

Last edited:
Here is what I think but I am not sure. Just reload the presets in the axe with fractal bot.

To be on the safe side I think you need to save your user presets before updating the firmware.

Update the firmware.

Then reload your user presets.

All parameters set to default will be set to the default values of the new firmware.

Other parameters won't be affected.

The models will be those of the new firmware.

If you are using factory presets just reload latest factory presets after fw update.

If I am wrong all presets need to be updated individually and reloading is useless...

Tapx

Last edited:
Price of the AxeFx = 35% R&D, 35% Production & Logistics, 15% General Overhead, 5% Web Fees, 5% Firmware Forum Counseling Overhead, 5% Cliff and company take home money.

I don't think they're charging enough.

BTW, holy zen chakras 2.0 firmware sounds good. I hope I can get some actual song writing accomplished once I'm done chugging power chords and pretending I'm some kind of jazz guitar player. Loving it.

Do you have a time machine? Axe Edit 3.5 was just released in the last few days...
Ha! You're right--I didn't even notice! In any case, I deinstalled it an reinstalled it this morning, and the only change was that the Basic screen came back for the Suhr and Citrus amps.

Ha! You're right--I didn't even notice! In any case, I deinstalled it an reinstalled it this morning, and the only change was that the Basic screen came back for the Suhr and Citrus amps.

I don't know... I just checked the main site to make sure it was pointing to the current version since sometimes the main site lags behind the forum...

And it looks like a newer version (3.5.1) was released today:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-axe-edit-software.php

Nice job F.A.S. i dont ever say much, but im really diggin the new FW. The recto is much warmer, rounder, PICK ATTACK ISNT SO SPIKEY,and overall it has more of the 3 dimensional effect even with solid state amp. im sure .F.A.S is loiving it too.their is only one direction. Foward. Mikko, cant wait to see and hear what you do with this.
I can't wait either. It's going to be a long three weeks but damn it baby after being 5 months Axeless finally "I'll be back"! :D

You guys are making Q2 sound incredible.

I can't wait either. It's going to be a long three weeks but damn it baby after being 5 months Axeless finally "I'll be back"! :D

You guys are making Q2 sound incredible.

Man, Mikko, you are going to love it, I am very positive about it. There is simply more detail in the amp tone and I think you are one of those people who will appreciate it.

I don't know... I just checked the main site to make sure it was pointing to the current version since sometimes the main site lags behind the forum...

And it looks like a newer version (3.5.1) was released today:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-axe-edit-software.php
It says "February 5" on the page--that was the version I re-installed. I did it again, just to be sure, but I still don't see the JS amps. I'm thinking the issue might be my Quantum 2.0 update, possibly having something to do with coming from a beta release. I'm considering doing a backup, then rolling back to 1.6 and updating from there.

Are the JS amps visible on your front panel? Can you load them using the front panel? If so it shouldn't be your Q2.00 install.

It says "February 5" on the page--that was the version I re-installed. I did it again, just to be sure, but I still don't see the JS amps. I'm thinking the issue might be my Quantum 2.0 update, possibly having something to do with coming from a beta release. I'm considering doing a backup, then rolling back to 1.6 and updating from there.
PC or Mac? What OS are you running?

an iMac, running the newest version of os X.

Screen_Shot_2016_02_10_at_8_35_24_AM.png

Last edited:
Are the JS amps visible on your front panel? Can you load them using the front panel? If so it shouldn't be your Q2.00 install.
Yes, I can see them on the front panel, and If I choose one there, I apparently get the correct amp (since I can see the Saturation control), but the amp name shows up as "5f1 Tweed."
Screen_Shot_2016_02_10_at_8_32_29_AM.png

Yes, I can see them on the front panel, and If I choose one there, I apparently get the correct amp (since I can see the Saturation control), but the amp name shows up as "5f1 Tweed."

FWIW: I had to to "Refresh after new Firmware" to see the new JS amps in AE.

While I'm here: Great Update FAS!

HINT/TIP (as I didn't) -> When using AXE EDIT 3.5 with Quantum 2.0 Do not forget to go to SETTINGS in AXE EDIT and do a REFRESH after new Firmware

Suddenly there are new amps and other stuff ;)

;)

Bears repeating. I wonder how many people interpret "do a refresh after updating" as selecting "Refresh Preset" from the Preset menu instead of selecting "Refresh after new FW" in the Settings menu. The former only refreshes the settings from the Axe-FX itself, whereas the latter updates Axe-Edit with the latest parameters and settings (some of which may have changed in the firmware update but Axe-Edit isn't aware of). This should happen automatically when launching Axe-Edit after a new firmware update if you haven't run a beta, but if you have, Axe-Edit won't consider the final release a new version and will need to be refreshed manually.

I also expect simply deleting/reinstalling the app wouldn't "reset" everything (as Axe-Edit likely caches this data outside the application itself). I know on OS-X the app stores at least some data in ~/Library/Application Support/Fractal Audio/Axe-Edit.

You might need to refresh the web page. It says Feb 9 and version 3.5.1 for all versions.

In any case, can you check the Help->About menu option and confirm it shows 3.5?

Otherwise I would open a support ticket with Fractal.

Changelog for Axe-Edit 3.5.1
1. Axe-Fx II XL and Axe-Fx II XL+ blocks can now be imported into Axe-Fx II Original/Mark II.

Please note: The Axe-Fx II Original/Mark II does not have X/Y switching for the Compressor, Gate/Expander, Graphic EQ, Mixer, Parametric EQ, or Tremolo/Panner blocks. Importing the aforementioned blocks into an Axe-Fx II Original/Mark II will only import the X settings.

Great news for people with older units!

Back
Top Bottom