Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

So . . . why are some people irritated with others gushing about firmware updates? This affects them how? Does it really matter whether you like free shit or not?

I think Cliff indicated he had notes from Joe on the amp.

I just did quick comparison of basic tone of Crunch and Lead channels with the actual JVM410HJS head. FAS did great job!
Sorry I meant to say wouldn't surprise me .

up on Q2.00..
needed an amp reset
some small tweaks to the 5153Red level and Herbert Ch3 modifier to balance my 2 amp riffing presets [just 5 of them]

sounds and feels absolutely stellar

I hate all these gushing threads where everyone just says how fantastic everything sounds; but I think this is the first firmware that really captures that stupid top end of a great valve amp that should be too bright and tinny but somehow just sounds great.....I really think this is the one.......[/QUOTE

Oooh, maybe a little gushing detected?

Ok, so my go-to preset for the last several months is based around the (formerly named) AC20 Dlx Bass model (now called AC20 EF86b). I just updated from Q1.06 and finding the same preset now sounds quite a bit darker and woolier. Is anyone else finding the same?

Cliff - would this be an expected outcome of the class-A changes outlined above? I found that bumping Bright up to 3-4db or bumping the Treble from just under 5 to about 7.5 seemed to help make things less dark.

I'm running MV at 10, Input Drive at .8... If that helps?

Thanks

Kevin

Today I had more time to tweak on my settings for a bit. I found just adjusting BMT and Input Drive helped... I dropped the bass and mids a little and increased the treble. I also dropped the input drive down to .60.

One other thing that really helped was adjusting the Bright Cap value. I bumped it from 235 up to 400 or so.

I also noticed that the tone controls are really interactive on this model.

I think it's now usable and I'll fine tune more later.

I have to say this firmware is honestly to me the best I have experienced. All the amps have awesome feel and tone with minimal tweaking. Thank God I had a huge woody the whole time to keep my jaw from hitting the floor. Come to think of it l, I still have one just thinking about it. Oh well, I gues I don't have to worry about falling out of bed. ;)

So . . . why are some people irritated with others gushing about firmware updates? This affects them how? Does it really matter whether you like free shit or not?
i think it's more about the people that will rave about how much better, say for instance the final release is than the beta when there were zero modeling changes, etc...

I will comment there ARE changes in the final release. I was on the fence about the FW update, but when I loaded the final, there was a balance that was not there in my presets. A brittle feel that I did not enjoy in the beta that was not as pronounced in the final. I fully admit this could be the power of suggestion in my head and that my ear was adjusting to how things worked in the new FW (I found I bumped SAG up in many presets to smooth things out, and tweaked a few other smaller things). But in my mind it was more polished and 'even' in the final release.

Bottom line, count me as one that struggled with the beta, but loved the final.

And PEACE people. We're not doing brain surgery here. This will take time for everyone to find their zen, but they will.

-R

Edit: I finally read the Cliff's notes thread, and most of the stuff he described is what I tweaked, so I would consider myself Forrest Gump who just got it right by entropy...not skill.

recorded with a new preset using the Satriani amp model :)

Sounds really close and good. An interessting point - the legend tells us, that Joe Satriani played it through a Zoom 9002.......not really a great tool......:D

I will comment there ARE changes in the final release. I was on the fence about the FW update, but when I loaded the final, there was a balance that was not there in my presets. A brittle feel that I did not enjoy in the beta that was not as pronounced in the final. I fully admit this could be the power of suggestion in my head and that my ear was adjusting to how things worked in the new FW (I found I bumped SAG up in many presets to smooth things out, and tweaked a few other smaller things). But in my mind it was more polished and 'even' in the final release.

And PEACE people. We're not doing brain surgery here. This will take time for everyone to find their zen, but they will.

-R

Edit: I finally read the Cliff's notes thread, and most of the stuff he described is what I tweaked, so I would consider myself Forrest Gump who just got it right by entropy...not skill.

Just right my opinion a few sides before........the same feeling I tried to describe with " the beta 3 was more aggressive" - maybe more raw in the beta?

I used to play a few minutes with my standard presets before updating, so I get a direct comparison how it feels and sound before and after - but at least its a subjektive feeling and hearing. And at least it´s Cliff´s decision how the finale versions sounds.
I tweaked all my sounds yesterday for the next gigs and they all great sound, it has been done very quickly with this FW exept the Mesa - but I´m not experienced with Mesa amps.

I think in a good forum everybody should tell his impressions. And everybody hears and feels "sound" in his own way, so it´s not easy for FAS to make a FW which everybody likes.

Last edited:
Just right my opinion a few sides before........the same feeling I tried to describe with " the beta 3 was more aggressive" - maybe more raw in the beta?

I used to play a few minutes with my standard presets before updating, so I get a direct comparison how it feels and sound before and after - but at least its a subjektive feeling and hearing. And at least it´s Cliff´s decision how the finale versions sounds.
I tweaked all my sounds yesterday for the next gigs and they all great sound, it has been done very quickly with this FW exept the Mesa - but I´m not experienced with Mesa amps.

I think in a good forum everybody should tell his impressions. And everybody hears and feels "sound" in his own way, so it´s not easy for FAS to make a FW which everybody likes.

The modeling in the release version is IDENTICAL to beta 3.

-R

There were no changes to the modeling algorithms between the beta and the final release.

There were no changes to the modeling algorithms between the beta and the final release.

But the Speaker page certainly changed for some models. Pretty sure this is what some people are referring to. The new Low Freq res values made a huge difference for me. I've only played the Recto Red's recently, but glad you decided to use the best sounding values vs the more accurate values you had in the beta. I should hop on a plane to New Hampshire just to shake your damn hand.

Back
Top Bottom