Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

Thanks for that. I had a hard time finding anything that didn't seem super dark. Apparently I like my tones bright. I'm probably semi deaf at high frequencies.

Personally, I found great results with my go-to CK Brit TV E906-MD421 B01 alloy and going with a medium gain, high master setting.
His guitars are really bright so they work well with the darker amp. But the amp pairs well with all kinds of cabinet IRs as you're finding out. It's a really well-tuned and sweetened amp for sure.

Thanks Cliff and Team, I have noticed on top of all the other great stuff, my preset's are quieter!!! Even though the gain is high, so awesome:)

Thank you Cliff and the FAS team. Loving this update and the JS amps. You guys are, hands down, the best.

I love the new default speaker values for the Rectos. Makes a huge difference. Bass is way tighter and everything sounds more balanced. Couldn't be happier.

Nice job F.A.S. i dont ever say much, but im really diggin the new FW. The recto is much warmer, rounder, PICK ATTACK ISNT SO SPIKEY,and overall it has more of the 3 dimensional effect even with solid state amp. im sure .F.A.S is loiving it too.their is only one direction. Foward. Mikko, cant wait to see and hear what you do with this.

I thought the Brit Pre was awesome in 1.06, man it blows my socks off now, this thing is awesome, yet to play with the Mesas and JS amps, it's gonna be fun

I'm really loving the 5153 100 watts more and more. With the official release, I played with it for at least two hours tonight, and it was probably the longest time I played since a few months, I just played, without tweaking (settings are almost all stock). I also loaded the betas, and am not saying that the official is better than the beta, because I didn't played too much with the betas. But I can say that Q2 > Q1!

Thanks to the 12db cab block filter setting, I was able to lower the low cut frequency (from 100 to 80) and got better, tighter tone still. Very useful option added, thank you very much.

And, I got my 50s reissue strat today and played with it half an hour. I just found one stock cab (ac30 blue mix), which was not even ultrares v1, selected the ac30tb amp, switched the 5/5/5 stock settings just to 6/6/6 and played, only played. (again with 80/16k low/high cut with 12db option). Man, what a combination, I'm a fan of strat and ac30 from now on... p.s. I'm a high gain guy, well, at least mostly!

Thanks for all the hard work, I really enjoyed playing today with MANY guitars, MANY amps, and MINIMUM tweaking. this was something that I was never able to achieve, even with the real tube amps (it was probably due to the lack of a real cab, I almost always used dummy loads).

And one more last thing... Up to now, I always neglected the fact that my room does NOT have any acoustic treatment, and my monitors are just on the table. When I palm muted a C or C#, there was extreme resonance. And today, I was just in touch with the table, and the table was resonating crazily. And I remembered that I also had that problem with the real amp and an isolation cabinet (in fact, it was the axetrak, which was the quietest isocab ever). It is that damn room! I will stop whining about it until I treat it!

One more thing I learned (which is not related to the q2) is that the tone that makes you happy while playing makes you a saaaad panda in the mix. And the contrary is just as true. So, now I'm really happy with just a stock cab (preferably an ML one), an amp, and just a 80/16k low/high cut in the cab block. In my mix trials, I scoop the hell out of the (mostly low) mids of what I recorded. And both my enjoyment while playing and while listening to my mix is much more nowadays. Another firmware-unrelated thing I learned is: turn down that damn gain!!! I was setting the 5153 red's gain at 7 while I was playing a guitar with seymour duncan blackouts! 5 is enough, now i see!

In short words: I really enjoyed playing two very different guitars through the Axe today! one has active humbuckers, and the other is an 50s strat reissue!

That Js410 Lead Or is fantastic!

OK, without trying to blow smoke I just gotta say ::: - the Js410 Lead Or with Stereo Ultrares OH JY-MES-412 BR MD421 B2 and the OH JY-MES-412 LB 421C1+121 (delay of 0.06ms, proximity of 2) is just stellar! I've turned the Amp Drive down to something like 3.5 and the clarity in the notes is unreal, but it still bites big time... Thanks Cliff and team - and thanks Justin and team::: new go to Lead/Gain Patch stored. Can't wait to try it in the mix.

Haven't even gotten to other new goodies. Just been stuck on that patch for a while now.

Love people comparing the official release to the beta and stating that it's better or worse than the beta when there were no modeling changes. It is human nature that when we are asked to find differences between two things (or mistakenly believe there should be a difference) that we will find one - even when one does not exist.

Anyway, still nice to get the continued incremental firmware improvements.

@FractalAudio "Added “Filter Slope” parameter to Cabinet block. This can be used to select between first-order (6 dB/octave) or second-order (12 dB/octave) filters for the Low Cut and High Cut filters."

I remember making a request for this in a wish list a ways back. You guys really do listen! Thank you thank you thank you

I'm going on a limb here and guessing this could make it into the next update for Cab-Lab 3 that has been rumored?

Ok, so my go-to preset for the last several months is based around the (formerly named) AC20 Dlx Bass model (now called AC20 EF86b). I just updated from Q1.06 and finding the same preset now sounds quite a bit darker and woolier. Is anyone else finding the same?

Cliff - would this be an expected outcome of the class-A changes outlined above? I found that bumping Bright up to 3-4db or bumping the Treble from just under 5 to about 7.5 seemed to help make things less dark.

I'm running MV at 10, Input Drive at .8... If that helps?

Thanks

Kevin

I can't speak for Cliff or anyone else. But the darkness for me has been in adjusting a few things.

The first thing I touch is presence. You'd think this would add a little high end, but to my ears it actually adds a bit of a mid range voicing making the sound a bit thicker. Sometimes you want that, other times thinning things out is the better choice.

Next is supply sag to a higher number. The higher the number, the tighter the sound for me and you get less boxy-ness. I find that at default, the amps sound a bit too congested with mids for my personal use/liking. Setting to 5.0 up to 8.0 has been a game changer for me on every amp I touch.

I also like some of the old values we used to have. For example, on the Marshall 800 mod that I use, the neg feedback was at 2.0 now it's at 1.55. The bias excursion was at 50% now it's at 42 something.

The next thing I touched was the xFormer low freq. Raise it until some of the low end, darkness goes away. I run mine anywhere from 25 to 40 on some amps. It depends on the cab I'm running.

Speaker low res Q at 2.000 now at 1.697.

In dynamics, comp clarity was 10, now 6.51.

When I changed those back to what they used to be, the darkness was gone and my amp sounded like me again with a bit more pep along with the new dynamics and feel Cliff has added. Will that work for you with your amp? No idea man...but I noticed the darkness you spoke of and changed the above and bam...back to me, but better sounding to my ears.

EDIT** Just to be clear....the old values are what I reverted back to...meaning the first numbers given. When I say "now" I mean that is what the value changed to after the update if you update the amp block. Adding a little eq on the amp by 0.15 at 8k helped me too while taking out -1dB of 500Hz. Dark is good because 9 times out of 10 we can control that....raspy and razor sharp....ugh, thank God we didn't get that!

I'm blown away by this release. The tube realism is simply off the charts on so many amps! There are more usable amps in this thing than not. There was a time where I looked at all the amps we had and sort of felt bummed that more weren't usable for me. Now I'm like a kid unleashed at a toys r us! A few small tweaks and the majority of these amps sound like a million bucks no matter what cab I use. High 5 Cliff...thanks man! :)

Last edited:
I was playing through the js models on my Ltd just now (neck through with agathis wings and a crunch lab in the bridge, needless to say it's a pretty dark guitar haha) and honestly that presence control is 100% the key to balancing things out. As an added bonus I got lots of chewy upper harmonics in the pick attack that just gave chugs that nice cut and edge you want in a rhythm tone. About to go back and try leads on my neck/coil tap tones. This is quickly becoming my favorite amp in the box

Back
Top Bottom