Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.00 Firmware Release

Improved cathode bias algorithm for “Class-A” amp models (i.e. Class-A 30W, AC20
Dlx, etc). In conjunction with this the Cathode Squish parameter has been
repurposed
as “Cathode Bias” and controls the value of a virtual cathode
resistor.
A value of 50% is “optimum” and biases
the power tubes at true Class
A
operation (neglecting any bias shifting due to supply sag, screen droop,
etc.).
Values greater than 50% increase the resistance and therefore bias the
power
tubes “colder”. Values less than 50% bias the tubes beyond Class
A. In a
real
amp this would probably destroy the tubes but that limitation does not
exist
in our virtual amp. Most
real amps of this type actually operate far
below
Class A and the default values for the models will reflect this. Note

that
the Power Tube
Bias value should be set to 1.00 for these amp types (since
that
parameter controls the grid voltage and the grid voltage is at a maximum in
these
types of amps). Existing presets will be automatically updated with new
Cathode Bias and Power Tube
Bias values.

Ok, so my go-to preset for the last several months is based around the (formerly named) AC20 Dlx Bass model (now called AC20 EF86b). I just updated from Q1.06 and finding the same preset now sounds quite a bit darker and woolier. Is anyone else finding the same?

Cliff - would this be an expected outcome of the class-A changes outlined above? I found that bumping Bright up to 3-4db or bumping the Treble from just under 5 to about 7.5 seemed to help make things less dark.

I'm running MV at 10, Input Drive at .8... If that helps?

Thanks

Kevin

In regards to filter slope. Which one matches what was in place before this feature was added?

Last edited:
Really been looking forward to trying out Joe's signature model, I own a Marshall JVM410 so it will be great to compare that and the signature model!

I never tried the beta.

this is no exaggeration. I am amazed. This just totally makes my custom made presets completely outstanding... and I don't want to sound negative but I've been here since FW 10 and this is the 1st time i'm getting an "wHoly mutherfackingsheeeeetballls!!!!" after an update. That's using a pair of Atomic CLR active wedges. It's cleaner, and more defined. Smoother yet raw at the same bloody time... this is sick.... I haven't even tried the new amps or the cab block filter...

Couldn't agree more (also using a pair of CLR's - active wedges). This is a significant step forward, and the AxeFX II was already at an amazing level of performance! I pick my guitar up, flip the power switch on the Axe, and lose track of time - cannot pot the guitar down.

Thanks Cliff!! Really diggin' Q2. :)

Ok, so my go-to preset for the last several months is based around the (formerly named) AC20 Dlx Bass model (now called AC20 EF86b). I just updated from Q1.06 and finding the same preset now sounds quite a bit darker and woolier. Is anyone else finding the same?

Cliff - would this be an expected outcome of the class-A changes outlined above? I found that bumping Bright up to 3-4db or bumping the Treble from just under 5 to about 7.5 seemed to help make things less dark.

I'm running MV at 10, Input Drive at .8... If that helps?

Thanks

Kevin

Check the Hi Cut setting.

Hi! I'm a new Axe FX -owner and just updated this firmware to my Mark II. I cant find those new amps...do I have to reload factory presets from somewhere again?

Perfect timing - in a couple of hours I'm picking up my strat from my luthier after major upgrade (new stainless steel frets, bone nut and compound radius from 9" to 12"). Haven't played since sunday and really can't wait 'till evening... looks like I won't go to bed tonight :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom