Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 10.01 Firmware Release

Let me add my voice to the chorus thanking Cliff and all at FAS for another great firmware release. I certainly didn't expect any more for the Axe FX II now the III is out. It is much appreciated.

I can't really explain why, but I am loving the no-feedback amps with this firmware. I've had a hard time gelling with the AC30 in the past but I'm getting a lot more of the sparkle/fizz in this release. And as someone else said, tweaking IR's almost seems to have a bigger impact.

Love it!

Another thanks here. I dial rigs as close as I can to original songs. FW updates improve them, and I usually revisit rigs after a big update to see if I can improve them further. I did that over the last few days and sure enough, I was able to take many presets to yet another level of awesome with 10.01.

General trends were I could pull mids back a bit, bring in a bit more highs, and with the great improvement in amp dynamics, optical compression could come down a bit as well. Heading out to tonight's gig and looking forward to it. Thanks again Cliff!

Thanks for continuing to update the Axe II FAS.. I'm grateful.
I'm just getting back to playing after a finger injury last November, so no comparisons to the previous FW from me. Things have been pretty good for a while now. Love the new Friedman amp models, although I still use the vintage Marshall models for what I like. The 2204 is cool as well.. used to have a '77 myself.

I did get to spend some time with an Axe FX III this past weekend (thanks @levipeto).. some seriously cool improvements to the hardware and I was pretty amused when I noticed the CPU was well below 50% on a preset that would hit 90% on my II.

Thanks Cliff and company..

Heading out to tonight's gig and looking forward to it. Thanks again Cliff!
Observations from the gig: Heard more overtones above the "icepick" range that put more shimmer or hair on the tone depending on the rig. Dynamics really come out at gig volume: the attack envelope is more musical/addictive than ever and sustain and feedback were sooooo nice. Fun stuff!

First rehearsal with the new firmware last night, damn! A few obvious improvements for me.

1. Wood! - The new firmware increases the woody nature of the sound, love it
2. Chunk - more chunk, less flub, thank-you please
3. Crunch - less ice pick, more crisp/crunch

All in all, love it, so looking forward to getting my hands on the 3!

I gigged with 10.01 tonight. Really large stage. The feeling was phenomenal. The sound was superb. I dare say I have never had a more complex sound even when I played one of my numerous tube amps. Sound texture and string separation were what it used to be back in the good old tube amp days.
AF3 may deliver what AF2 lacks in the recording department (I still rely on tube amps when it comes to serious recording). But gigging - I’ll never lug two of those 4x12 plus head around.
There‘s one wish though, directed at Fractal - can this please go to 11? :)

I gigged with 10.01 tonight. Really large stage. The feeling was phenomenal. The sound was superb. I dare say I have never had a more complex sound even when I played one of my numerous tube amps. Sound texture and string separation were what it used to be back in the good old tube amp days.
AF3 may deliver what AF2 lacks in the recording department (I still rely on tube amps when it comes to serious recording). But gigging - I’ll never lug two of those 4x12 plus head around.
There‘s one wish though, directed at Fractal - can this please go to 11? :)
Just curious, which is your live setup with the AF2? Thanks!

I already posted a bug report on this in the forum, but I figured I'd ask you guys as well since many people are hanging out in these firmware threads.

FAS Bass appears to have audible aliasing, or at least what I think sounds like aliasing on my Mark I in this firmware version. It's in the 6k-8k-ish range. Can anyone else confirm? Should be just as audible when using a 6 string guitar with the amp model. Audio examples are in the post below

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fas-bass-amp-model-aliasing-i-think.139071/

Just loaded 10.01 to my AXE FXII Mark 1....couldn't help but play for a few hours afterwords (in the midst of my workday) - WOW!! Add me to the list of extremely satisfied and grateful Fractal Customers - for over 6 years running!

Call me crazy but I think i may roll back to 9.04. I know there are improvements across the board but to my ears and purposes they're not massive. I really do appreciate Cliff and co. not forgetting about the older model users. Ever since i updated to the latest 10.01 my presets act erratically. I keep Axe Edit open while playing as i always have...not sure if its some overload somewhere with midi/usb. An example is that my wah suddenly engages and the values act as if there's an oscillator (if that makes sense). I can hear my mouse clicks over the Axe FX even though Axe is not acting as soundcard. this happens even on presets that aren't high on CPU use...75% +/- ;Anyhow, just gonna roll back where things sounded stellar and my equipment was behaving consistently. Anyone else have these problems?

I must say honestly, I needed some time to hear a difference to the previous FW. But now, the more I play, the more I catch myself thinking how it sounds like a real amp. I'm really enjoying this FW. Thanks FAS for still finding some time to take care of the II and it's users.

Just Love Fractal and The Forum members! Got a 5 year old Mark 2 and with the latest update...it just shines!
Spent the last 30 years with Boss/ Digitech etc...once u rchased it....you lived with it... Since joining the
Fractal family, my $ 2k investment has seemed like ive saved $6K ! Could not be happier! Although the latest
XL is sure tugging at me........

Just Love Fractal and The Forum members! Got a 5 year old Mark 2 and with the latest update...it just shines!
Spent the last 30 years with Boss/ Digitech etc...once u rchased it....you lived with it... Since joining the
Fractal family, my $ 2k investment has seemed like ive saved $6K ! Could not be happier! Although the latest
XL is sure tugging at me........
I'm sure I saved several thousand as well; in fact, overall it has been life enhancing - a company done the right way makes me more optimistic than I would be otherwise, with the typical larger business one encounters.

Used 10.1 again in a theatre last night. There is definately a bit more definition to it.

I like it a lot.

Well, until a bust the A string on the first note of the solo in Easy Lover. By the time I had swapped the guitar out the moment had gone. I'll try again tonight ......

Back
Top Bottom