Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 10.01 Firmware Release

I rarely post here but man, for whatever reason this latest firmware has me foaming at the mouth as much as it did back at the earlier days right before the quantum. Since the inception of quantum there was always something I kinda missed right before then. Now it’s back and better than ever. Thanks Cliff and team!

So for those who’ve updated to 10.01, what is the biggest difference from 9.04. I am really happy with 9.04 so I’m wondering what you guys are hearing. Also, have you noticed a CPU increase?

Hi Brickglass,
In my case, happiness! It's not like after the update I can say (stuck up pommy accent on) "eeeooo...there's a tad less woollies around 783 Hz, and the uptiness of the high to mid range has more bloom...". (Accent off)
It's so much fun... I spent hours just going through the Austin buddy preset as last night, and another couple of hours playing today like I was a real guitarist! (I'm a bass player sort of).
Highly recommended.
Also - backup all your presets, and upgrade - if you don't like it, go back to 9.04, restore your backup - done!
Thanks
Pauly

Has anyone else noticed the recent influx of arrogant, self indulgent, opinionated, know-it-all, entitled pricks on these forums of late? Could we be approaching 'the mainstream'?
Bummer! - thank you for the ignore function - oh and this wonderful update.
Pauly

As an hardware/software engineer, I'm not amused, obviously the tools you're using don't catch those type of errors. Sounds like you're not doing code reviews. I would love to have more usable effects in my AX8 - so get those firmware updates rolling !!

So for those who’ve updated to 10.01, what is the biggest difference from 9.04. I am really happy with 9.04 so I’m wondering what you guys are hearing. Also, have you noticed a CPU increase?

Hey Brick, check out my posts on pg.7. I was running some very heavy presets (~95%) that didn't cause any problems in 9.04, but caused MIDI to fail in 10.01. I pulled back the usage and everything went back to normal. I don't have the exact figures, and I'd guess the difference to be minimal, but there must be some additional CPU use.

My presets in 9.04 were normally in the early 90% area of CPU usage, my main one was normally about 94% (I tend to pack EVERYTHING into a preset). Having loaded QFW10.01 I have not checked the CPU, but I have not had any issues either so I'm assuming CPU has not increased. And this is me playing with USB connected which normally adds CPU, and I had no issues at all - so it's more than likely safe to say your CPU shouldn't take a noticeable hit if you update.

10.01 has way more dynamic range than 9.04. My Gibson's neck pickup is suddenly very usable and sounding beautiful with certain amps (such as the VOX AC15 etc) whereas on 9.04 I used to end up avoiding the neck for a lot of cases. I highly recommend you update.

(stuck up pommy accent on) "eeeooo...there's a tad less woollies around 783 Hz, and the uptiness of the high to mid range has more bloom...". (Accent off)

o_O

(Aussie accent on) Yeah g'day mate, been drinking me Fosters and impressing the Sheilas down the pub with the new firmware, the awesome tone scares away the bogans and galahs. (Accent off)

Just a little comparison between 9.04 and 10.01. Reverted to same settings after resetting the amp.

I can definitely hear the difference. The amp is 6160+, pre tubes are 7025. Cab is YA Mesa Cab.

First half is 9.04, next half is 10.01. Both normalized.

Thank you @FractalAudio !

From your clip I notice these things (I guess it's a bit in depth but oh well) :

• Second half, 10.01 as I hear it is slightly hotter, a tad more volume.

• The highs are increased, this could also result in the point above

• even though the highs are increased, it does not sound the same only more highs

• pick attack is increased, compare the first riff in both halves - it's quite prominent

• not sure if it's because of more harmonics but the pick attack is more ice picky.

• second half has the "blanket off" effect due to more highs but also a bit less bottom end and it has tighter lows maybe from a small dip in the 200 Hz area as someone mentioned (only using my ears so bare with me)

• I hear more of the guitar in the second half, meaning that the signal sounds more like coming from the instrument: guitar, than the first half which sound a tad more neutral - listen to when he goes down,up at 0:08. compare with 0:52.

• Second half sounds to me like it's moving more air. The effect of the palm mute is more punchy: listen to the punch in the palm mute at 0:15, 0:19, 0:22 and 0:25-0:28,
    then compare them to the second half at 0:49, 0:56, 1:00 and especially 1:03. The one at 1:03 really digs in and hypothetically moves a lot of air, even though it's has less lows. Maybe it's tighter, there's some 10.01 magic going on here.

• Listen to the palm mutes from 0:32-0:40. Do you hear how the lows sounds almost delayed a bit? as if they're behind the attack? Now compare to 1:14-1:16 - it's much tighter.
    Also the pick don't get the "Ko'e, Ko'e, Ko'e" sounding effect, as much as in the first half from the attack highs going into the delayed lows.

From your clip I notice these things (I guess it's a bit in depth but oh well) :

• Second half, 10.01 as I hear it is slightly hotter, a tad more volume.

• The highs are increased, this could also result in the point above

• even though the highs are increased, it does not sound the same only more highs

• pick attack is increased, compare the first riff in both halves - it's quite prominent

• not sure if it's because of more harmonics but the pick attack is more ice picky.

• second half has the "blanket off" effect due to more highs but also a bit less bottom end and it has tighter lows maybe from a small dip in the 200 Hz area as someone mentioned (only using my ears so bare with me)

• I hear more of the guitar in the second half, meaning that the signal sounds more like coming from the instrument: guitar, than the first half which sound a tad more neutral - listen to when he goes down,up at 0:08. compare with 0:52.

• Second half sounds to me like it's moving more air. The effect of the palm mute is more punchy: listen to the punch in the palm mute at 0:15, 0:19, 0:22 and 0:25-0:28,
    then compare them to the second half at 0:49, 0:56, 1:00 and especially 1:03. The one at 1:03 really digs in and hypothetically moves a lot of air, even though it's has less lows. Maybe it's tighter, there's some 10.01 magic going on here.

• Listen to the palm mutes from 0:32-0:40. Do you hear how the lows sounds almost delayed a bit? as if they're behind the attack? Now compare to 1:14-1:16 - it's much tighter.
    Also the pick don't get the "Ko'e, Ko'e, Ko'e" sounding effect, as much as in the first half from the attack highs going into the delayed lows.

Reading your review feels more informative than listening to my own record, wow! :)

I definitely agree with the increased tightness and the 'blanket off' statement. I regularly update since fw11, and this is probably the most noticeable change for me so far, at least for the high gain stuff. But I didn't compare every firmware like I did here, so it's just my observation.

Just a little comparison between 9.04 and 10.01. Reverted to same settings after resetting the amp.

I can definitely hear the difference. The amp is 6160+, pre tubes are 7025. Cab is YA Mesa Cab.

First half is 9.04, next half is 10.01. Both normalized.

Thank you @FractalAudio !

Pretty big difference between those clips, thanks so much for doing that. Super pumped to try this when it gets ported to the AX8. Have you tried the new Friedman and 2204 models yet?

Has anyone else noticed the recent influx of arrogant, self indulgent, opinionated, know-it-all, entitled pricks on these forums of late? Could we be approaching 'the mainstream'?
Bummer! - thank you for the ignore function - oh and this wonderful update.
Pauly

“Who let all the riff-raff into the room? Get ‘em up against the Wall...” -PF

Remember the early days, when we all got jackets? Scott Peterson would always try and do wheelies in the golf cart during the tours of the NH factory... now those were the days!

Back
Top Bottom