Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 10.01 Firmware Release

on 10.01?
Yes, I was using the bassman 69 and while tweaking the parameters they would not respond. When I tried to change the preset the II crashed and made a high pitched noise. I've used it since that instance again with other amps and it did not happen, so I'm guessing there may be a bug with that amp.

I don't know shit about code or any of that crap, but I know a good tone and I love this latest update. Thank you Cliff, not just for this but the last several years since the original AxeFX, its been an incredible journey and Ive enjoyed every step of the way!

Are you sure?
I did a few tests and thought I noticed it sounding just a bit different if I did the physical Amp Type deselect/reselect thing.

Remember that changing the amp block like this still does reset some of the advanced parameters, so if your preset was saved in 9.04 with some tweaks to these parameters, then you load 10.0 and reset the amp then it will sound different because you are putting the amp back to default.

If your 9.04 preset was all default, then resetting the amp in 10.0 shouldn’t make a difference.

Thing is, ALL of my presets sounded really good on 10.0 without any reset, so I’m not even going to bother resetting them like I normally do.

Just a little comparison between 9.04 and 10.01. Reverted to same settings after resetting the amp.

I can definitely hear the difference. The amp is 6160+, pre tubes are 7025. Cab is YA Mesa Cab.

First half is 9.04, next half is 10.01. Both normalized.

Thank you @FractalAudio !

Sounds Great! I hear a pleasant top end, can't wait for AX8 release.

Cliff,

I just had to smile:) at your code snippet explaining the uninitialized variable for the following reasons :
  • as a retired software engineer and manager I have scene and made similar mistakes along the way...
  • it's good to know that you are "human" - I have marveled and have gained so much respect for what you have done with the Axe FX line of processors - both as an engineer and a guitar player since I picked up my XL a while back.
  • I was imagining the look on the faces of all of the hard core tone chasers who do not code and was wondering what was going through their minds as they read your post
  • I admire your humility in sharing what happened to all of your customers. Not many hi-tech companies would risk being so transparent
  • I have come to expect ( but never take for granted) that a quick fix the day after the problem was found would be available. Again - this is so rare with such complex devices and especially in the music gear industry
Just wanted to give a BIG THANKS ! for the way you run the company and for creating and enhancing the Best line of Guitar processors in the world

Ken Cardita

PS. I am patiently waiting for my invite to purchase the AxeFX III - Its months away but with this unexpected update I can get a small taste of what is yet to come
EDIT - Just ordered my Axe FX III - only had to wait another 6 weeks from the time of this post (133 days total)

Last edited:
I was playing the Friedman C45 last night. Good on stock settings. Went to find some info about it on the web. Still not sure what it is exactly. The Friedman amp manual goes a bit humourous about it.

I noticed something strange. I was tracking bass, recording the DI signal out of Output 2 and the wet signal out of Output 1. I noticed in Cubase in 10.01 the DI signal is much louder than in 9.04.

I checked the I/O settings and dropped the Input 1 level down to about 10% to get rid of the bass sitting in the red (front LEDs) the whole time. As I dropped the Input level in the I/O setup, the DI (Output 2) level got louder. Conversely, when I raised the Input level, the DI level got quieter. I reloaded 9.04 and this behavior discontinued.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

Just updated after sifting through some IR's to give myself a break and WOW. Playing on a cranked up Dirty Shirley 1 and the way the top end saturates now is just ridiculously good, gonna go try the new models out now

Big thank you to everyone at FAS for making this update with III modeling available.

I definitely don't want to come across as ungrateful, but I think I might have stumbled across an issue with 10.01... prior to this update, all of my MIDI switching was working exactly as expected, but now I'm getting erratic behavior like failing to make changes to external hardware, significantly delayed response times to expression controller 1, stuff like that.

I'm hesitant to say it's a bug, but could this update possibly be pulling resources from MIDI execution?

I'm controlling an XL, a tube amp, and an external looper with an MFC mk3 and a pair of Mission pedals. The presets where I noticed the issue were running between 94-96% and were not giving overload messages or the intermittent clipping that happens when too many effects are pushing the limits.

I'm controlling an XL, a tube amp, and an external looper with an MFC mk3 and a pair of Mission pedals. The presets where I noticed the issue were running between 94-96% and were not giving overload messages or the intermittent clipping that happens when too many effects are pushing the limits.

94-96% CPU Usage? That would be your problem. Perhaps the new firmware is using slightly more CPU?

Back
Top Bottom