Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 10.01 Firmware Release

Sorry to disappoint you - I'm 5'10, 160 lbs. and I produced so much code (including firmware) that I'm ready to comfortably retire - probably well over a million lines of code in my career - and I do more than just produce code. My opinions come from my education and a lot of experience.
Sold to the military to doom us all I presume?

Boy you guys are being trolled too easily. Let the guy have his criticism, don't feed him, let him be a jerk... What's wrong with you? Do you think Cliff needs protection? Certainly not!

I'll try the new firmware later, really appreciate your work porting the epiphanies to the II!
True, you are right, but its easy to stoop to for fun & humour. And in school it was great to help the slower students catch their breath. And you know those professor types are always rushing past the practical result of their braninesses; so its also sometimes a safety valve. Arrogance detection toolset.

As an hardware/software engineer, I'm not amused, obviously the tools you're using don't catch those type of errors. Sounds like you're not doing code reviews. I would love to have more usable effects in my AX8 - so get those firmware updates rolling !!

You're obviously new to the FAS world as this company really looks after its customers with regular, and free, useable updates.

So what if there was a gremlin in the pipeline, it was quickly identified and fixed, for free.

Hardly the best way to introduce yourself to the FAS team and users by making yourself look like a condescending know it all

Bad move, matey

Are you sure?
I did a few tests and thought I noticed it sounding just a bit different if I did the physical Amp Type deselect/reselect thing.

Hmm...if it doesn’t say to do so in the release notes, then I usually don’t, but I’ll check it out tomorrow and see if I can hear a difference, too

WOOOT!!!! Hellz yeah!!! I honestly didn't expect this at all! Thanks Cliff!!! So would I be wrong to assume we can expect new preset banks soon?

Sorry to disappoint you - I'm 5'10, 160 lbs. and I produced so much code (including firmware) that I'm ready to comfortably retire - probably well over a million lines of code in my career - and I do more than just produce code. My opinions come from my education and a lot of experience.

As a fellow software engineer of 20+ years, your thinking that the more lines of code you write somehow equals greatness shows a lack of experience/knowledge. I'm usually the guy GIVING the code reviews. Quite often it's the FEWEST lines of code you can get away with to perform the needed function that is a better result.

All that being said, code reviews are typically done in teams, and if I'm not mistaken, Cliff is the only one writing the code for the firmware. That makes it a little trickier. If you try to pretend you've never made a coding mistake and not properly initialized a variable or gotten a null reference you are full of crap. Cliff found and fixed the bug immediately. It didn't cost you anything. You should try to have a little more tact when dealing with fellow humans. Geez guys, just play your guitars.

This is most likely the last firmware update the II will see (minus anymore bug fixes). As an Axe FX II Owner from day 1 of its release, I appreciate all of your hard work Cliff and team. Maybe a couple years down the line I'll get the III. Until then thank you so much for making my gigging / hobbyist life simple and sounding awesome.

Hmm...if it doesn’t say to do so in the release notes, then I usually don’t, but I’ll check it out tomorrow and see if I can hear a difference, too
I did some x/y comparings with reseted amps - I can´t hear any difference. Update and go to gig tomorrow........:D
To my ears there´s more "dirt" in the Highs (more gain?), single notes, clean pickings come along with fast response - very nice and cool, makes fun to play with!

Cliff, I am so grateful to you, your team and the phenomenal company you have built. I didn't think anything could get me more excited about the arrival of the AXE III today (still waiting, UPS where are you?). Then I saw this. I have an MKI AXE-FX (after a Standard and an Ultra). Porting the developments back into the AXE-FX II platform is far above and beyond what could be expected. I like the maturity of the AXE-FX II platform and intend to keep mine. Getting software upgrades for the AXE-FX II at this point is a fantastic icing on that particular cake. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
If Cliff can find a way to give us the Tri-Chorus, he will. Let's not have internet tantrums about it. Else we're just showing yet again that no thread is worth reading after the second page.

The current version of Photoshop has about 10 million lines of code, according to Grady Booch, Chief Scientist for Software Engineering at IBM. I know it is written by a team but I just wanted to give prospective. Still not impressed even if I do take what you say at face value, which I do not!

Back
Top Bottom