1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 10.01 Firmware Release

Discussion in 'Axe-Fx II Discussion' started by FractalAudio, May 11, 2018.

1. USMC_Trev

USMC_Trev
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

That's roughly the equivalent of $498 USD in AdSense monetization conversion (2016 data). I don't think that's worth an Axe-III.

dsimms likes this.
  2. REDD

REDD
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

It takes a little time to get use to the awesomeness!

3. Dogstarr

Dogstarr
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

My votes for no official "Final Firmware", as I'd like to see occasional updates when possible, but if we have to have an official end of life firmware, I like the sound of Quantum 13! I'd love to see a few more Bass amps added before "we're done", but hey, it's pretty amazing as is, so if it's 10.01 forever, I was okay with 9.04! :D

FireInside, CristhianP. and pauly like this.
  4. Narzugon

Narzugon
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

With all this talk about the final firmware for the II I'm curious if this is pointed at just the Axe II (v1) or up to the XL+ as well?

5. SinMix

SinMix
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

So Finally also my USA2C++ Axe preset based on my JP2C sound in my mix. Cab IR made from my miced Rectifier 2x12. IMO also not bad! :D

Stay Metal!

Mic, m3talmike, trixdropd and 4 others like this.
  6. 666was999

666was999
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

I just played in the rehearse with 10.01 today. Presets all left untouched.

My impression: It's very amp-like now...for the cost of some super brilliant highs...maybe I can dial them back in where needed. O.k. real amps don't make these highs, maybe it's part of the advance when they miss and you get forced to turn the volume up then and you throw more mids into the room...hmm....good strategie.
    The volume pot makes more difference now. I was always turning it to get some different shades of sound and punch. Fantastic.

The harder amps sound less hard now, maybe I turn neg feedback and presence up, x-former match down and harmonics almost all off...don't know jet.

It felt so much like playing a real amp, I'm still impressed.

jesussaddle likes this.
  7. steadystate

steadystate
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I'd love to see effects or amps added. What would drive me crazy are changes that affect the tone or behavior of existing amps and effects enough to require readjustment. I'd hate to not update and miss out on new effects or amp models.

I haven't updated to 10 yet. Can anyone post whether or not the amp models use more DSP?

8. brianv4

brianv4
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Yeah brother, rock on! Great tone and playing!

SinMix likes this.
  9. Martyntb

Martyntb
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Big thankyou for the update!!! We are very fortunate people.

10. BrickGlass

BrickGlass
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Boy, I don't know. This firmware is the closest to sounding like a real tube amp I've ever heard my AxeFX.

FlavAnderson likes this.
  11. Solarfire

Solarfire
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Well I didn’t think the bar could be raised significantly higher, but Mr. Chase did it again, for me at least.

Being a low- to mid-high-gainer the improvements (IMHO) are more apparent in the areas of articulation, clarity, string-separation, attack/velocity and interaction with volume and tone control (feel).
    Having gotten stuck on my main preset for hours, I haven’t checked any others yet (lol), tweaking = 0 it was a new level of bliss.
    The distortion structure is apparently more refined and rounder in the high-end, very pleasant! This update raised my inspiration another notch.

Thank you Cliff and team!

12. bdrepko

bdrepko
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Maybe he only wrote 1 line of code and the other 999,999 lines were to fix the first line.

Syrinx and Josetxu like this.
  13. slinky005

slinky005
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Is Axe Edit for V9 working with 10.01?

14. grandinq

grandinq
    Expand Collapse
    Motivated

Works fine

Brian Decker likes this.
  15. CristhianP.

CristhianP.
    Expand Collapse
    Apprentice

Me too bro, and my presets are more hot too

16. Lifestalker

Lifestalker
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I'm honestly not one to comment with every firmware update and claiming it's the most amp(tube) like firmware thus far, and that's not to take anything from the ones who hear the differences, whether it's significant or not. I've felt subtle differences randomly over the past 8 or 9ish updates. All I know is I continuously enjoy my Axe Fx II.

That said, this update takes the cake for me. I'm so happy with the Friedman C45. The string separation and clarity is fantastic. Truly has the "amp in the room" feel. Very ballsy too. lol

Edit: I hope other amps get refinements that correlate to the same nuances the Friedman C45 gives off.

17. TG3K

TG3K
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Many thanks to Cliff & Co. for your tireless work for the benefit of us all!

I'm still on FW Q7.02...been too busy to update and tweak all my presets. I've seen in this thread that resetting the amp blocks is not necessary with Q10.01. Is that still the case if I'm coming up from Q7.02? Any other gotchas I should know about? Either way, I'm really looking forward to running the new version.

Years ago I was working a Director of Product Development at a software company. (I'm not a software engineer, but I've played one on TV, lol.) Company policy required all new engineers (regardless of experience) to take a short programming course written by the company CEO, mainly to establish coding standards. One of the exercises in the course was to write a simple program to echo "Hello World" to a terminal screen. We hired a very experienced engineer, who somewhat begrudgingly took the course. His "Hello World" project wrote "Byte Me" to the screen. And he ended up being one of our best guys on the team.

HerrSquid likes this.
  18. #258 Moke, May 17, 2018 at 2:01 AM
    Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 3:11 AM
    Moke

Moke
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Not necessary Only if coming from 9.04.... There has been many changes since 7.02 (not just Amp models). I would recommend reading the release notes for each firmware from 7.02 through 10.01 very carefully.

19. b@d

b@d
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

my first impression after updating (with phones at home) was, ok there is a little change in tone and a little more dynamic, but i couldn´t even decide, if its better or just different. 9.04 was so good, and both, 9.04 and 10.01 gives me this very satiesfying feel. But after playing a while with different presets i wouldn´t go back.

Then, yesterday evening, in full band context at rehearsel, i was blown away by the separation and transparency of my tone.
    Without any tweaks, without getting louder, i could hear myself better then ever against the wall of drums, bass, keys and two singers (male + female).
    It was just like having another room in the mix purely for myself. Amazing, best sound ever.
    (AxeFx II - Mk1, CLR, X32 - EVOICE PA)

Thank you very much Cliff, i don´t know how you did it, but you did it.
    You are a magician.

regards

Martyntb, pauly and nicolasrivera like this.
  20. sebastos08

sebastos08
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

just for my confirmation on "Incorporated some of the modeling" Ares "of the Ax-Fx III." and in advance sorry if the answer has already been made in all previous posts but, all amps have been "Ares" updated or just the new ones?