Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 10.01 Firmware Release

My votes for no official "Final Firmware", as I'd like to see occasional updates when possible, but if we have to have an official end of life firmware, I like the sound of Quantum 13! I'd love to see a few more Bass amps added before "we're done", but hey, it's pretty amazing as is, so if it's 10.01 forever, I was okay with 9.04! :D

With all this talk about the final firmware for the II I'm curious if this is pointed at just the Axe II (v1) or up to the XL+ as well?

I just played in the rehearse with 10.01 today. Presets all left untouched.

My impression: It's very amp-like now...for the cost of some super brilliant highs...maybe I can dial them back in where needed. O.k. real amps don't make these highs, maybe it's part of the advance when they miss and you get forced to turn the volume up then and you throw more mids into the room...hmm....good strategie.
The volume pot makes more difference now. I was always turning it to get some different shades of sound and punch. Fantastic.

The harder amps sound less hard now, maybe I turn neg feedback and presence up, x-former match down and harmonics almost all off...don't know jet.

It felt so much like playing a real amp, I'm still impressed.

This firmware is very fine indeed. Two gigs last weekend with it after minimal tweaking for levels. Great clarity and definition!

There are so many reasons the final firmware for the II should be v11

It’ll match the ultra
It goes to 11
Effects!
I'd love to see effects or amps added. What would drive me crazy are changes that affect the tone or behavior of existing amps and effects enough to require readjustment. I'd hate to not update and miss out on new effects or amp models.

I haven't updated to 10 yet. Can anyone post whether or not the amp models use more DSP?

Well I didn’t think the bar could be raised significantly higher, but Mr. Chase did it again, for me at least.

Being a low- to mid-high-gainer the improvements (IMHO) are more apparent in the areas of articulation, clarity, string-separation, attack/velocity and interaction with volume and tone control (feel).
Having gotten stuck on my main preset for hours, I haven’t checked any others yet (lol), tweaking = 0 it was a new level of bliss.
The distortion structure is apparently more refined and rounder in the high-end, very pleasant! This update raised my inspiration another notch.

Thank you Cliff and team!

As a fellow software engineer of 20+ years, your thinking that the more lines of code you write somehow equals greatness shows a lack of experience/knowledge. I'm usually the guy GIVING the code reviews. Quite often it's the FEWEST lines of code you can get away with to perform the needed function that is a better result.

All that being said, code reviews are typically done in teams, and if I'm not mistaken, Cliff is the only one writing the code for the firmware. That makes it a little trickier. If you try to pretend you've never made a coding mistake and not properly initialized a variable or gotten a null reference you are full of crap. Cliff found and fixed the bug immediately. It didn't cost you anything. You should try to have a little more tact when dealing with fellow humans. Geez guys, just play your guitars.
Maybe he only wrote 1 line of code and the other 999,999 lines were to fix the first line.

I noticed something strange. I was tracking bass, recording the DI signal out of Output 2 and the wet signal out of Output 1. I noticed in Cubase in 10.01 the DI signal is much louder than in 9.04.

I checked the I/O settings and dropped the Input 1 level down to about 10% to get rid of the bass sitting in the red (front LEDs) the whole time. As I dropped the Input level in the I/O setup, the DI (Output 2) level got louder. Conversely, when I raised the Input level, the DI level got quieter. I reloaded 9.04 and this behavior discontinued.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?
Me too bro, and my presets are more hot too

I'm honestly not one to comment with every firmware update and claiming it's the most amp(tube) like firmware thus far, and that's not to take anything from the ones who hear the differences, whether it's significant or not. I've felt subtle differences randomly over the past 8 or 9ish updates. All I know is I continuously enjoy my Axe Fx II.

That said, this update takes the cake for me. I'm so happy with the Friedman C45. The string separation and clarity is fantastic. Truly has the "amp in the room" feel. Very ballsy too. lol

Edit: I hope other amps get refinements that correlate to the same nuances the Friedman C45 gives off.

Many thanks to Cliff & Co. for your tireless work for the benefit of us all!

I'm still on FW Q7.02...been too busy to update and tweak all my presets. I've seen in this thread that resetting the amp blocks is not necessary with Q10.01. Is that still the case if I'm coming up from Q7.02? Any other gotchas I should know about? Either way, I'm really looking forward to running the new version.

"Foo" and "bar" are embedded in the programmers' vocabulary. If you enjoy sardonic humor and/or sarcasm, programming and computer science are where it's at...

Years ago I was working a Director of Product Development at a software company. (I'm not a software engineer, but I've played one on TV, lol.) Company policy required all new engineers (regardless of experience) to take a short programming course written by the company CEO, mainly to establish coding standards. One of the exercises in the course was to write a simple program to echo "Hello World" to a terminal screen. We hired a very experienced engineer, who somewhat begrudgingly took the course. His "Hello World" project wrote "Byte Me" to the screen. And he ended up being one of our best guys on the team.

Many thanks to Cliff & Co. for your tireless work for the benefit of us all!

I'm still on FW Q7.02...been too busy to update and tweak all my presets. I've seen in this thread that resetting the amp blocks is not necessary with Q10.01. Is that still the case if I'm coming up from Q7.02? Any other gotchas I should know about? Either way, I'm really looking forward to running the new version.
Not necessary Only if coming from 9.04.... There has been many changes since 7.02 (not just Amp models). I would recommend reading the release notes for each firmware from 7.02 through 10.01 very carefully.

Last edited:
my first impression after updating (with phones at home) was, ok there is a little change in tone and a little more dynamic, but i couldn´t even decide, if its better or just different. 9.04 was so good, and both, 9.04 and 10.01 gives me this very satiesfying feel. But after playing a while with different presets i wouldn´t go back.

Then, yesterday evening, in full band context at rehearsel, i was blown away by the separation and transparency of my tone.
Without any tweaks, without getting louder, i could hear myself better then ever against the wall of drums, bass, keys and two singers (male + female).
It was just like having another room in the mix purely for myself. Amazing, best sound ever.
(AxeFx II - Mk1, CLR, X32 - EVOICE PA)

Thank you very much Cliff, i don´t know how you did it, but you did it.
You are a magician.

regards

just for my confirmation on "Incorporated some of the modeling" Ares "of the Ax-Fx III." and in advance sorry if the answer has already been made in all previous posts but, all amps have been "Ares" updated or just the new ones?

Back
Top Bottom