Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.05 Firmware Release

Thanks FAS for the quick update to a minor issue. I believe in one day after the bug was detected he had the fix and a FW update. Wow..I had a eleven rack for 2 years before getting the Axe FX in 2013 and I never got a single update from Avid......

Beautiful updates - got playing last night and was eventually told to go to bed by the woman ... o_O

But, in the 2 hrs I had with it - just great tones and patches; presets (amps) I wouldn't use previously are all new and wonderful. The palate just got much larger with new brilliant and dynamic colors!

I use real cabs (2x (Stereo) 2x12 Friedman's), so perhaps it's just a little different for me (I use IRs in headphones). But the amps are just great with "edge of break-up" working very well, great harmonics, and playing dynamics, crystal cleans with ringing chimes, sustain all day long. Greatly improved sound on the AC30, Verbs, CAS, Bassman (59 and 65), etc. etc. I went through so many patches with tweaking anything was was super pleased.

Presets do load a little faster. Confirmed.

Everything I wanted and more than I ever expected! Thank you FAS!

Everyone needs to take a breath ..., there's nothing in the release notes to indicate Cliff's taken a step back with his approach to the modeling tech .... And make no mistake about it ..., that IS what everyone is wondering or not so subtly hinting at ....

Here's the timeline as I see it when I re-read all of the release notes:

vQ1.00 ( Public Beta ) –
· Quantum Tube Modeling Technology is introduced ….

vQ1.00 –
· RTS Triode Preamp options added ….
· Preamp Comp ( renamed CF Comp ) ….
· Preamp Compressor Type added ….
· New Dynamic mode in Character control added ….

vQ1.01 –
· Power Tube Plate current is modeled more accurately ….

vQ1.02 –
· No “announced” improvements made to Quantum Modeling Technology ….

vQ1.03 –
· Improved Triode Grid Conduction Model ….
· Improved Cathode Follower Model ….

vQ1.04 –
· Improved Triode Saturation Modeling ( Preamp Hardness ) ….

vQ1.05 –
· Preamp Hardness default values fixed ….

As I read it, the "improvements" to the Triode Saturation Modeling were encompassed in the Preamp Hardness control .... All that was necessary was a correction to the default setting .... All of the "secret sauce" ..., just like Prego Spaghetti Sauce ..., is STILL in there !

Everyone needs to take a breath ..., there's nothing in the release notes to indicate Cliff's taken a step back with his approach to the modeling tech .... And make no mistake about it ..., that IS what everyone is wondering or not so subtly hinting at ....

Here's the timeline as I see it when I re-read all of the release notes:

vQ1.00 ( Public Beta ) –
· Quantum Tube Modeling Technology is introduced ….

vQ1.00 –
· RTS Triode Preamp options added ….
· Preamp Comp ( renamed CF Comp ) ….
· Preamp Compressor Type added ….
· New Dynamic mode in Character control added ….

vQ1.01 –
· Power Tube Plate current is modeled more accurately ….

vQ1.02 –
· No “announced” improvements made to Quantum Modeling Technology ….

vQ1.03 –
· Improved Triode Grid Conduction Model ….
· Improved Cathode Follower Model ….

vQ1.04 –
· Improved Triode Saturation Modeling ( Preamp Hardness ) ….

vQ1.05 –
· Preamp Hardness default values fixed ….

As I read it, the "improvements" to the Triode Saturation Modeling were encompassed in the Preamp Hardness control .... All that was necessary was a correction to the default setting .... All of the "secret sauce" ..., just like Prego Spaghetti Sauce ..., is STILL in there !

No, Cliff said exactly this about v1.05: Basically same as 1.03 with some bug fixes and new models.

He also said this a couple of posts down: Actually 1.03. It's the same basic tonality of 1.03. 1.04 changed the Preamp Hardness whereas 1.05 sets it very close to the default value used in 1.03.

There is nothing at all to suggest Triode Saturation Modeling were or were not encompassed anywhere in 1.05.

There is nothing at all to suggest Triode Saturation Modeling were or were not encompassed anywhere in 1.05.

Except there was ....

Posted by: FractalAudio 11/30/2015 @ 9:10 pm
"If you are using 1.04 set Preamp Hardness to 9.2. That's what 1.05 will sound like and is virtually identical to 1.03 ( 1.03 is equivalent to a Preamp Hardness of 9.5 ). There were no other changes to the modeling other than the Preamp Hardness stuff. Some of the amp models were tweaked to fix minor mistakes but other than that and the bug fixes nothing else changed."

Here's what I think happened ....
vQ1.03 - Preamp Hardness = 9.5

vQ1.04 - Preamp Hardness = 6.0 ( when the firmware was originally dropped. This was an incorrect value and the next version corrected the mistake ).

vQ1.05 - Preamp Hardness = 9.2

Last edited:
Except there was ....

Posted by: FractalAudio 11/30/2015 @ 9:10 pm
"If you are using 1.04 set Preamp Hardness to 9.2. That's what 1.05 will sound like and is virtually identical to 1.03 ( 1.03 is equivalent to a Preamp Hardness of 9.5 ). There were no other changes to the modeling other than the Preamp Hardness stuff. Some of the amp models were tweaked to fix minor mistakes but other than that and the bug fixes nothing else changed."

Here's what I think happened ....
vQ1.03 - Preamp Hardness = 9.5

vQ1.04 - Preamp Hardness = 6.0 ( when the firmware was originally dropped. This was an incorrect value and the next version corrected the mistake ).

vQ1.05 - Preamp Hardness = 9.2

Until Cliff says something specific, nothing more than speculation on anyone's part. This has been asked of him by numerous people numerous times & for whatever reason, he has not made any specific statement. Note also he said preamp hardness stuff, not settings. As to what that really means, no one including you knows for sure. Everything about the way he has phrased things has been somewhat nebulous as to exactly what changed between 1.03, 1.04 & 1.05. Anyway, for me, it's more about being curious & trying to understand as much as possible what makes this thing tick.

No, Cliff said exactly this about v1.05: Basically same as 1.03 with some bug fixes and new models.

He also said this a couple of posts down: Actually 1.03. It's the same basic tonality of 1.03. 1.04 changed the Preamp Hardness whereas 1.05 sets it very close to the default value used in 1.03.

Cliff please clarify. I need to know what I think about this FW.

I don't know what magical pacts you have made with the universe but this is simply the best sounding amplifier I have heard.

I think that Cliff cracked another level of code of the modeling for that part of the preamp, but the "default hardness" setting that he wrote into the firmware was the wrong value, so he released 1.05 to revise the default hardness to the correct value. "I found an error in my calculations..." or something to that effect.

Really loving this. Scene switching is marvelous. Easier to dial tones! And again, the Memory Man is the shiznit. Thanks a gazillion times!

he was saying that would get the same tones as 1.03, not that it was undoing his breakthrough or changing the modeling.

Back
Top Bottom