Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.05 Firmware Release

The evolution of perfection in new firmwares are fantastic :)

But will the EF86 channel of the Matchless DC30 one day show up in a new firmware? Have been eagerly waiting for this with each firmware release. It's the only thing I miss.

Cliff, when you're not using headphones, what are you listening to the Axe through these days? I'm sure it changes over time and I'm wondering what's the most recent for you.

Thanks!

So I'm unclear... is there any change to the "Improved triode saturation modeling based on new measurements" brought on by 1.04?

That's a question that somehow seems unanswered directly... I wonder why is that?
I think 1.05 is just a temporary FW. I foresee 2 more FWs before new year.

Last edited:
Well I am a relatively new Fractalite, 2 months in, 3 updates already, and not having to go through the tweaks some of you guys have had too. Used my presets on Monday for the first time at rehearsal, band mates were astounded, updated to Q1.05 today and played through my presets again, WOW I am loving it, subtle but better. First gig Saturday with this rig, cannot wait!

Cheers

The evolution of perfection in new firmwares are fantastic :)

But will the EF86 channel of the Matchless DC30 one day show up in a new firmware? Have been eagerly waiting for this with each firmware release. It's the only thing I miss.

Endorsed. Yes please.
All Vox amps (AC15 and AC30/4) originally had an EF86 tube instead of a Top Boost circuit (reference: The Vox Story by David Petersen and Dick Denny. Dick was the engineer who created these amps) until louder volumes and lesser quality created a less than desirable performance (microphonics). While I'm not aware of the background to the Matchless DC30, I'm sure that since they included an EF86, it was because it was desired by players for its sonic characteristics. Please?

When plugged into axe edit, it shows the firmware version as 1.05, but on the axe (I/O or global menu - can't remember right now), the firmware shows 1.04.

Is this normal?

As a nerd who loves the technical jargon and enjoys following the notes in firmwares and reading along to what kind of ridiculous coding FAS does to this thing whether I even understand it or not; yes it absolutely matters.

Whether it sounds good or not is irrelevant to my inquiry for information.

All the more Cliff is going to say on the matter is "Improved triode saturation modeling based on new measurements", so if you want to geek out over "new measurements", even though no one but him actually will know what the measurement is, feel free, but it all just seems arbitrary unless he's specifically saying what he's doing, which I wouldn't expect him to.

Its essentially him saying I found a new way to improve upon something proprietary and I'm not going to tell you what that is, but it will sound better, so just enjoy it and don't worry about the man behind the curtain lol

Just ran 1.05 with my Herbie 3 and its the same results as 1.04 to me. Not liking it. My Engl sound didn't seem to change as much as the Herbie 3 and I haven't tried my other amps because my high gain amps come first to me. Back to 1.03 for me because its got some special mojo I can't get on the others. Different strokes, can't make everyone happy and all that, but 1.03 makes me very happy. I'm there.

P.S. Ok, I think what I find with 1.03 is that I barely have to move my pick its so responsive and easy to play. Like I said in another post it practically plays itself. It has that punch and saturation that really chunks for me and everything seems really balanced tone wise....

P.S.S. Maybe its the Herbie that has changed or maybe just me.

Have you tried playing with the B+time constant parameter? push it up to 10 you get way more bounce...

All the more Cliff is going to say on the matter is "Improved triode saturation modeling based on new measurements", so if you want to geek out over "new measurements", even though no one but him actually will know what the measurement is, feel free, but it all just seems arbitrary unless he's specifically saying what he's doing, which I wouldn't expect him to.

Its essentially him saying I found a new way to improve upon something proprietary and I'm not going to tell you what that is, but it will sound better, so just enjoy it and don't worry about the man behind the curtain lol

It's not what he did or any details about how he did this. It's just the way he implies that 1.05 is just like 1.03 except for the triode hardness settings it unclear as to whether this new measurement is there at all in 1.05.

Basically same as 1.03 with some bug fixes and new models.

You would think it would be but it's not clear. For me, I'm curious too. Bottom line, it sounds great so it's no big deal if it is or isn't or if Cliff never clarifies this.

Have you tried playing with the B+time constant parameter? push it up to 10 you get way more bounce...
Can't try that tonight but I will tomorrow. I'm starting to wonder if its my IR's. I use my own exclusively that I shot from my rack tube amp and cab setup. I might need to try some stock cabs and see if that's it.

Back
Top Bottom