Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.04 Firmware Release

As was said earlier, set Preamp Hardness to 9.5 and it will be IDENTICAL to 1.03 (except it won't thump when you change amp models). The polynomial is different but when set to 9.5 it equals the old polynomial at default value (intentionally for people like you).

Thanks for the tip! However on fw 1.03 I had preamp hardness at 5, can I match that with 1.04?? Does the loss of chime and top end crunchiness depend on this parameter as well? Thanks

Is it just me or is the 'system backup' in the 'utility' button still broken, mine just hesitates for a few seconds (all buttons disabled) then buttons start working again. No dialogue or anything appears and it doesn't appear to do anything.

Is it just me or is the 'system backup' in the 'utility' button still broken, mine just hesitates for a few seconds (all buttons disabled) then buttons start working again. No dialogue or anything appears and it doesn't appear to do anything.

The hesitation means it's working.

Ha, yeah as long as everyone keeps in mind that it was a tone test. I didnt record in a mix or to a beat. I was just trying to get a quick comparison of each. How do post an audacity project file?
hmm, i think you'd have to export as a wav or mp3 and upload to Soundcloud or something. if it's too much hassle, don't worry about it :)

Never managed to get Axe as i wanted or expected over last year - but Quantum has been a game changer for me. Easy to get great tones with simple amp controls and a high / low cut in Cab - fabulous. Love Q1.03, but Q1.04 has introduced a little harshness to my ears on my gig patches. Will stick on Q1.03 for time being. Thanks for great product though.

I double-checked my tests today and I made a mistake. I had a calibration error. The default Preamp Hardness should be set to 9.2. This will be corrected in the next release.
Great! Er... I mean it's great that you're forthcoming. Thanks, Cliff.

Never managed to get Axe as i wanted or expected over last year - but Quantum has been a game changer for me. Easy to get great tones with simple amp controls and a high / low cut in Cab - fabulous. Love Q1.03, but Q1.04 has introduced a little harshness to my ears on my gig patches. Will stick on Q1.03 for time being. Thanks for great product though.
Interesting. I didn't go back and forth between 1.03 and 1.04, but I thought 1.04 seemed a little harsh in the high end too. I only spent an hour with it though, so not enough time to say I wasn't just having a sensitive ear day.

Edit: Ok, I'm an idiot. The high and low EQ were both cranked up on the guitar channel on my little mixer. All better now.

Last edited:
I haven't noticed a harshness. 1.04 sounds dead on to me. Thanks Cliff!!!

Last edited:
hmm, i think you'd have to export as a wav or mp3 and upload to Soundcloud or something. if it's too much hassle, don't worry about it :)
Not a hassle at all. I might be overstating the difference a bit. 1.04 isnt terrible or anything, it just wasn't desirable. Heres the sound cloud comparison of the uberschall patch.

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Same here. there seems to be more bass and its looser feeling. Seems like I lost a little gain and sustain in my Herbie 3 also. It just doesn't chunk and chug like 1.03. I tried the preamp hardness at 9.5 but its not the same. If I go back to 1.03 then I have the thunk when switching so I might have to do some tweaking to try and figure it out.

I have to agree, something I'm not liking. The high end lost something for me.
Strange it seems my sound stage collapsed a little? anyone else?
Gonna have to play with this more

(Update) - I made some adjustments with the preamp hardness and preamp Bias and it seems to bring me back to where it sounds Awesome ...lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom