Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

Tube amps are amazing in some ways. The just naturally do the right things. [...] If you can't boost treble without it getting harsh then it's not modeling the grids properly. If you need to put a shelving EQ to roll off some bass before the model then it's not modeling properly.
Oh Man!!!
My mind know how much knowledge and technology and science and hard work are in your words!
But I know almost nuthin' about how the magic of a tone happens inside an amp:
I have only my fingers on the fretboard, and my ears, my hart and my stomach only to feel the TONE!

BUT what I absolutely LOVE in your technical posts and in your hard work is how much "amp's philosophy" , "tone's philosophy" and "modeling pilosophy" are inside you Man!

Tnx Again! Tnx one more time!

if that were the case then each amp model wouldn't sound as distinct with this paticular aspect. more likely just a better secret sauce algorithm as stated in the quantum 1.03 release notes.

Yes, it's true. You are right about the distinction between the models.
However I tried and there is no saturation after the Amp, Cab or the end of the Blocks chain.
(There is the soft limiter as normal).
I like the saturation ( very light ) at the end of the chain by the Input Drive of a second Amp Block (usually a clean amp ). So I use often two Amp Blocks ( the first as Preamp without Sag and the second as Power Amp with Sag on at the end of the chain, after the ambient fx ).
Often in my patches I use Clean Amp simulations as saturators ( I don't like the tube pre sim because is too clean ) and the result is very pleasing. I use a Class D power amp on 1912/1960 Marshall cabs.

Cliff, I think you're really onto something with Quantum 1.03.
I got my AxeII in Dec 2013.
After exploring the unit as much as I could from FW 12 on, I've been using the AxeII for FX only. It really excels at that. I have always loved the routing and control options. Love the updated rotary, too.
This is the first FW that didn't have me wanting to scramble back to my tube rig after a minute of playing.
I hope this is received as a big compliment; that's how it is intended.

Last edited:
Tube amps are amazing in some ways. The just naturally do the right things. One of these things is that the grids sort of "self-align" so that the distortion stays on the edge. You can tell when a modeler isn't modeling this right as you will get fizzy decay (some people erroneously call this "crossover distortion") and flubby bass. If you can't boost treble without it getting harsh then it's not modeling the grids properly. If you need to put a shelving EQ to roll off some bass before the model then it's not modeling properly. With this latest version of Quantum you can put an EQ after the amp or cab and crank the highs as much as you want without it getting harsh and causing ear fatigue.

The moment when you almost can hear when R&D departments of other companies in the world are taking notes: Cliff giving hints like above.

OK, new AXE XL II+ owner (a little over a month, so all I know is 1.02), so I'm off to go install 1.03

I do love those edge of breakup tones (who doesn't?), so I'm super pleased to try it it out shortly.

Thanks to Cliff for the dedicated support and FW updates to the models. Thanks to fellow members who share their experiences, patches and knowledge. Seeing this further underscores my decision to purchase such a premium tool as the AXE FX. Range report to follow.

Silly question. Installed 1.03 on one axe using a mac and all went well. Installing same file using fractalbot on PC gives error message saying the version I am installing is not compatible with an XL? Both axes are Xls, install worked on one, not on the other. I did have some hot sauce though.

Silly question. Installed 1.03 on one axe using a mac and all went well. Installing same file using fractalbot on PC gives error message saying the version I am installing is not compatible with an XL? Both axes are Xls, install worked on one, not on the other. I did have some hot sauce though.

Whacky. Rebooted Axe and restarted bot and all seems to be going well. I sure hope the result is not a corrupted FW install.

totally selfish i know, but i was really hoping V4 would be out today so I could load up for this weekends services!

Clearly, a lot of "grain" has come out of the breakup ... in headphones, it's a huge difference. Very pleased to continue to advance the FW/SW get further away from the traditional challenge with modelers on these types of "tone".

I haven't fired up the cabinets (2x 2x12 Friedman's) yet because of the other people in the house still ambling about trying to get their caffeine levels titrated correctly.;)

Ass-in-Tub-Hot-Sauce-FG-1033.jpg

"Sweeter high end mainly. As I told the beta team maybe it's my senses are still a bit messed up from the Habanero Hot Sauce I ate earlier but it seems as though the cabs just gel better with the models."

While I liked 1.00 and 1.01/1.02 I felt they were too warm for my tastes, I really like the improvements in 1.03 Quote from the release notes (This improves harmonic accuracy yielding less “glare”, more detailed treble (more “chime”) and more bite.) is spot on!

Funny how you download a firmware and before you load it find out a new one was released or on the way. Cliff you rock!

Yes, it's true. You are right about the distinction between the models.
However I tried and there is no saturation after the Amp, Cab or the end of the Blocks chain.
(There is the soft limiter as normal).
I like the saturation ( very light ) at the end of the chain by the Input Drive of a second Amp Block (usually a clean amp ). So I use often two Amp Blocks ( the first as Preamp without Sag and the second as Power Amp with Sag on at the end of the chain, after the ambient fx ).
Often in my patches I use Clean Amp simulations as saturators ( I don't like the tube pre sim because is too clean ) and the result is very pleasing. I use a Class D power amp on 1912/1960 Marshall cabs.
I think that's a cool technique. There are amazing vsts for mixing that explore all sorts of "saturation" (really its hard to imagine they are merely applying saturation - the word leaves me wondering what the organic stamp is on each, and why they enhance the sound the way they do to my ears..) I'll try putting a clean amp afterward in the chain.

But I don't use a real cab - only tried it once at the store out here.

While I liked 1.00 and 1.01/1.02 I felt they were too warm for my tastes, I really like the improvements in 1.03 Quote from the release notes (This improves harmonic accuracy yielding less “glare”, more detailed treble (more “chime”) and more bite.) is spot on!

I agree i liked q1 beta an Q1 then something went off the rails for me in 1.02 but 1.03 put that bite and sharper attack back that beta Quantum had
I was sitting there with a HBE and was writing something down letting a note ring and it sustained and then feedback started .
I was kinda shocked as it was low volume with monitor no tubes and no loud volume .

Back
Top Bottom