Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

Thanks a bunch Team!

Just keeps getting better & better (for guitarists!)
With all the new stuff you guys are introducing, I'm tipping your team has expanded somewhat? Any info on who is on the fractal team?

Pauly

I'm having fun flipping between 1.01 and 1.03 on the global menu with different amps to see how much they've improved. It doesn't make a difference for all of them, but when it does....!!!!!!

Which ones have you noticed changed the most ?

The biggest improvements seem to be to mid gain amps/settings. For example, I didn't notice much change in my 'go to' BE patches, but on my Shiva and Smallbox patches, single notes are clearer and more pleasant. I'd having a hard time describing what I'm hearing on those, but I like it.

It might depend on what the settings are on the amp? Any thoughts!

Absolutely. The differences are easier to find on amps that shine on mid-gain settings. The sweet spot is...well...sweeter.

Back to the guitar. More playing and less posting. :D

The biggest improvements seem to be to mid gain amps/settings. For example, I didn't notice much change in my 'go to' BE patches, but on my Shiva and Smallbox patches, single notes are clearer and more pleasant. I'd having a hard time describing what I'm hearing on those, but I like it.

Tube amps are amazing in some ways. The just naturally do the right things. One of these things is that the grids sort of "self-align" so that the distortion stays on the edge. You can tell when a modeler isn't modeling this right as you will get fizzy decay (some people erroneously call this "crossover distortion") and flubby bass. If you can't boost treble without it getting harsh then it's not modeling the grids properly. If you need to put a shelving EQ to roll off some bass before the model then it's not modeling properly. With this latest version of Quantum you can put an EQ after the amp or cab and crank the highs as much as you want without it getting harsh and causing ear fatigue.

Improved triode grid conduction model. This improves edge-of-breakup tones as it keeps the distortion on the edge of breakup more and improves high-gain tones as it tightens up the bass. Also improves feel and dynamic response.

Improved cathode follower model. This improves harmonic accuracy yielding less “glare”, more detailed treble (more “chime”) and more bite. The previous cathode follower model can be selected from the Global menu by choosing a Modeling Version other than 1.03.

Interesting release notes; I'll be sure to upgrade in the next couple of days...I see you've been paying a lot of attention to the cathode follower in the last few firmware updates. A lot of gold to be mined there it would appear...work on the grid conduction behavior on the triodes and power tubes seems to be keeping you busy too. Most excellent...

Someone was looking for that amp model recently so I dug our 6505+ out and was surprised at how nice that channel sounds. I then spent the day modeling it.

Would you say the 6505's Green channel is similar to the 6505+'s Green channel? Just curious.

Awesome update, I love it! I couldn't put the guitar down after installing. Touch dynamics are so good, the Fenders benefit nicely. great bass and highs with clarity. leads and harmonics jump right off the fretboard!

Thanks Cliff for all the awesome tones.

Back
Top Bottom