Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

Someone was looking for that amp model recently so I dug our 6505+ out and was surprised at how nice that channel sounds. I then spent the day modeling it.

I remember reading an interview that Guitar World did with Jimmy Page when the Coverdale/Page album came out in the mid-90's. As I recall most of that album was done using the Rhythm channel of the 5150 in crunch mode. That was the first time that I knew of a professional artist other than Eddie using a 5150. I got one about a year and a half later and have had one consistently since. I always really dug the crunch mode, I always wished the amp had a real clean channel to compliment those 2. I know the 6505 is a little different but Peavey claims it to be the same amp.

Someone was looking for that amp model recently so I dug our 6505+ out and was surprised at how nice that channel sounds. I then spent the day modeling it.
That's awesome. If I may ask; what cab were you using to evaluate it?

*EDIT* Just saw a post where you said it was a Recto 4x12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thanks for including the rhythm channel on the 5150mkII. I never thought there was much call for this as most people on here seem to prefer the lead channel.

In my opinion, the rhythm channel is the best bit of the 5150II, which has been my go to amp for a long time. The low mids are less congested and the top end is clearer and less fizzy than the lead channel and the whole spectrum is much less compressed.

In fact the main reason I still have a 5150II is that this channel didn't exist within the axefx...

Thanks, Cliff!

The crunch channel is actually really awesome for leads. Crank the gain, mids, presence and depth. Very nice!

Added “PVH 6160 II Rhy” amp model based on Channel 1 of a Peavey 6505+ with the Crunch and Bright switches depressed.

This model and the new FAS Boost go together like peanut butter and jam. Unboosted it's a killer hard rock rhythm tone. Kick in the boost and you get sweet singing leads.

I noticed the modeling version has 1.00, 1.01, and 1.03 but not 1.02. I like the new version but it cut some of my crispness. I can certainly dial some in though so not a huge deal just observing and wondering if 1.02 could be included so as to be in correct succession. Thanks and love the new 6505+ it rules with the FAS Boost!

I agree about the comments of channel 1 with the crunch switch engaged, being an overall better sounding amp, than the lead channel in my 5150. I owned it for about 10 years. I had the opportunity to mic it with the master set to 4 and place it in an isolation room. It changed everything about the amp and made it much more versatile. The problem was trying to use it anywhere at that volume. I didn't own a powersoak of any kind, and I think part of the sound I was able to get, was from the stress I was putting on the speakers themselves. A powersoak would not have gotten me "all the way there."

I noticed the modeling version has 1.00, 1.01, and 1.03 but not 1.02. I like the new version but it cut some of my crispness. I can certainly dial some in though so not a huge deal just observing and wondering if 1.02 could be included so as to be in correct succession. Thanks and love the new 6505+ it rules with the FAS Boost!

There were no modeling changes between 1.01 and 1.02. Just new amp models, delays, and boosts.

Also, the Herbies are way better to me,now. They use to be my favorite but over previous firmwares I lost my love for them and leaned more to the Angles and 5153 amps but now they seem really good!

Just played the Herbie 3 some more and its going to be my main heavy amp again. All I had to do was lower the bass and turn on the cut switch but everything else I just left straight up and it has it all!

Last edited:
I'm hearing a bit of a pop/thump when changing presets with axe-edit. I'll have to see if it's duplicated with midi controller tomorrow night at practice. This pop/thump wasn't noticeable by me before this update. Not a big deal for me because I don't change presets in songs in most cases, but it might impact some people.

I'm also not sure if it isn't just me. Axe FX 2 Mk. II running through stereo FRFR. No X/Y in use in the presets.

*Note. Edited for clarification

Last edited:
There were no modeling changes between 1.01 and 1.02. Just new amp models, delays, and boosts.

Improved triode grid conduction model. This improves edge-of-breakup tones as it keeps the distortion on the edge of breakup more and improves high-gain tones as it tightens up the bass. Also improves feel and dynamic response.

Improved cathode follower model. This improves harmonic accuracy yielding less “glare”, more detailed treble (more “chime”) and more bite. The previous cathode follower model can be selected from the Global menu by choosing a Modeling Version other than 1.03.

This is not modeling changes????

There was no modeling change between 1.01 and 1.02. That's why there's no 1.02 in the list to pick from. Set it to 1.01 and it using the same algorithms it was using in 1.02.
Gotcha! 1.01 and 1.02 are the same. I was thinking about the differences between 1.02 and 1.03 but that clears it up. Thanks!

Ahhhaaa this is fun fun fun !
Thank you Cliff and FAS team.
Just on time for my long weekend starting from....now :D

Awesome update, I love it! I couldn't put the guitar down after installing. Touch dynamics are so good, the Fenders benefit nicely. great bass and highs with clarity. leads and harmonics jump right off the fretboard!

Yup. I spent an hour playing my Tweed Deluxe patch with 1.03, including a couple of quick switches back to the 1.00 and 1.01 algos for comparison. The 1.03 firmware really does make a noticeable difference in the edge-of-breakup sound and behavior. Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom