Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

Hey!!! About that Mark IV:

The issue I was having was simply a master volume issue. Other than that ALL KNOBS ARE IDENTICALLY IN THE SAME POSITIONS in the amp sim and the real amp. That is impressive that the Axe-Fx can do that. Oh and please guess where it's the Mark IV and where it's USA Lead. It's not 100% but neither would two different Boogie heads.

EDIT: Also this is quite a nice promo for how clean my IR captures are also. That's a miked real Mark IV vs Axe-Fx with my IR capture of that mic up. Essentially what my Alloy IRs have always been. :)

Dude. This is BRUTAL. Love it. Which IR are you using, here?

To the "latency" thing, we need to define our terms, here, Phil emptiness.be. If you're experiencing the improvements to transients in a way you don't prefer, then okay. The improvements may take some getting used to for your playing. But as Cliff said, and as all the beta testers can confirm through, well...testing...there is definitively no difference in the latency between 19 and Q1. It's just simple math. Whatever you're feeling, it isn't a latency change.

I read a few pages back to get the sound of 20beta just set preamp tube type to "short plate". So my question is: are we only getting the benefits of quantum by selecting "authentic"?

I'm really liking "vintage" type for clean tones ATM and I didn't care for it before.

I read a few pages back to get the sound of 20beta just set preamp tube type to "short plate". So my question is: are we only getting the benefits of quantum by selecting "authentic"?

I'm really liking "vintage" type for clean tones ATM and I didn't care for it before.

No. The new authentic tube type is just one of many new aspects.

Pick attack and bounce are aligned slightly different in quantum (more authentic tube like?) which I think improves the feel rather than add a latency feel.

Pick attack and bounce are aligned slightly different in quantum (more authentic tube like?) which I think improves the feel rather than add a latency feel.

Exactly. The attack comes first as things compress. Then the supply bounces due to a much slower time constant. Compression time constants are in the neighborhood of a few ms, B+ time constants are typically 10-20 ms. You can adjust these on the Advanced page. Many amp designers like a "fast" power supply but if you lower the B+ time constant too much you get ghost notes.

Just to be sure, the engineers and I just measured the latency of v19 and Quantum and they are EXACTLY the same.

Thank you for checking on this. It helps out tremendously, and Cliff's insight about the B+ time constant parameter is getting me excited.

I'm loving the "authentic" tube type. On some amps it's a dramatic difference, kind gives it more of an in the room thing, even soloed out. I was getting an in the room feel before, on 20b but this just makes more of that. On some amps it's kinda subtle, but there's still some of that moreness going on. Not a word, but you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the next "super nova" firmware version (whether in a month or a year), I hope Fractal will release it with two others (the most recent before it and one other random version from 2015 or later) and not tell anyone which is which (and not give any clues as to what's been changed). Then set up a poll thread and see how many guess which one is the new release with major changes and ask voters to post clips using all three and explain why they made their choice. Let this go for a month and then release the result. I bet you get a lot different commentary and results.

Don't you think it has been done already ?

I'm officially retracting my "latency issue" mentioned before.

I trashed the old file, downloaded Quantum again, loaded it into my Axe and it sounds great and feels right again. Whatever I was dealing with was user error, so sorry about the false alarm guys.

Keep shreddin

Cool! I did a series of measures too just to check if we had an issue or not and found the "latency" of Q1 not only same as 19 but actually negligible. On a preset with amp and cab, the latency is less than 2ms, which is like being 2 feet from your speaker! And on a preset with 13 blocks including pitch, delay, rotary, etc, the latency is 2.2 ms. That's just amazingly low!

Cool! I did a series of measures too just to check if we had an issue or not and found the "latency" of Q1 not only same as 19 but actually negligible. On a preset with amp and cab, the latency is less than 2ms, which is like being 2 feet from your speaker! And on a preset with 13 blocks including pitch, delay, rotary, etc, the latency is 2.2 ms. That's just amazingly low!

That's so awesome! Yeah, I must have had a corrupt file or something the last time I tried it.

I'm really liking Quantum now, and tones are feeling meatier when I dig into them. Even my tele feels thick but still has great clarity and string separation. That lag isn't there anymore and I can get back to melting faces.

Thanks for your help and wisdom guys!

You're probably confusing the transient dynamic behavior with latency. Latency is unchanged from previous firmware and transient dynamic behavior is extremely accurate now.

Ok. What does that mean exactly and why does it not feel more like a real amp to me if it is more accurate?
If i'm in front of my amp and speaker I do not feel this kind of "delay/latency".

EDIT: I will reinstall tomorrow and try again. It seems like some have had problems on first installation.

Last edited:
I'm loving the "authentic" tube type. On some amps it's a dramatic difference, kind gives it more of an in the room thing, even soloed out. I was getting an in the room feel before, on 20b but this just makes more of that. On some amps it's kinda subtle, but there's still some of that moreness going on. Not a word, but you know what I mean.

I can only speak to my own FRFR experience, but the "moreness" doesn't work as well when I'm going thru a FRFR speaker as Short Plate. Seemed to accentuate the mids too much for the heavier stuff. Clean stuff was fine though. Like I said, that is just my own experience with it.

I can only speak to my own FRFR experience, but the "moreness" doesn't work as well when I'm going thru a FRFR speaker as Short Plate. Seemed to accentuate the mids too much for the heavier stuff. Clean stuff was fine though. Like I said, that is just my own experience with it.

I'm using FRFR (to dial in, I use inears live) as well, but I tend to favor mid heavy tones. I actually have a mid bump in my inears to compensate for my crappy inears.

Extremely sensitive to latency ( among other things.. LOL ) here... latency is not a problem on Quantum... Feel is better and more dynamic than it has ever been...

Man, I threw a three and a half hour session at this firmware. I used three different guitars (Clapton Strat, LP Standard, PRS 513) and tried out marshall, fender and high gain models. This firmware didn't flinch. I kept trying to trip it up looking for the flaws. I thought that the AFD model would show the flaws as that amp to me has always been such an odd and unique animal. But boy if I didn't feel like the whole amp was somehow put into this little black box of ours. I then switched over to my favorite Floyd presets and got chills from the sounds I was getting. I am just amazed at Cliff's dedication and how he keeps upping the ante. There's just this something now in the attack that seems right. It's the nuance in how sometimes you can get compression or a little bloom right at the attack depending on the amp, the gain and how you hit the notes. Only a perfectionist like Cliff cares enough to go into that kind of detail. Those kinds of things are where other modelers that maybe just give you the right sound fall short. Bravo.

I'm using FRFR (to dial in, I use inears live) as well, but I tend to favor mid heavy tones. I actually have a mid bump in my inears to compensate for my crappy inears.

Yeah, I'm playing in my house and guaranteed if I was playing in a live situation I'd want those mids there. :) That is the interesting thing about tones and how the feel changes when playing louder.

There's just this something now in the attack that seems right. It's the nuance in how sometimes you can get compression or a little bloom right at the attack depending on the amp, the gain and how you hit the notes. Only a perfectionist like Cliff cares enough to go into that kind of detail. Those kinds of things are where other modelers that maybe just give you the right sound fall short. Bravo.
^^^ This.

Other modelers concentrate on amp voicing and gain staging. The Axe-Fx goes beyond that, and spends CPU cycles to work on the details of the waveform under gain, and how it changes over time in response to signal variations. That's what brings the models alive and makes them more real.

Back
Top Bottom