Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

and check if a reorder in the grid can reduce the shunt number

Reverb is on normal quality
Can check on tails but I think suppessing the reverbs probably it the solution I'll opt for
Preamp not used in amp blocks
I almost don't use any dynamic parameters
Simpler as is seems hard to obtain, maybe I can range out one line so to keep all of it on two lines., dont think this will be effective.

If this doesn't work I'll probably opt for keeping one single amp with the EXP1 arranging from clean to hot; still a small regret that the amp quality got in the way of the effect possibilities, buty have to admit that the FW Quantum version is really great stuff.

Hi there, I am new here and was just wondering if the Quantum official release will be soon since I just bought the XL+ and it came with FW 19 and I am not sure yet about how this unit works and if I should upgrade to the Quantum Beta or if I should wait depending on how far off the Quantum release is going to be.

I also have a Question if I may ask, since you are a senior member: Is it possible to run the XL+ in real mono without any phasing och cancelation problems, just pure mono "mode" so that all stereo fx collapse into mono? Because in a Live sitiuation a lot of the people will not hear the full body of the Guitar sound depending on if the stand by left PA speaker, like stereo delays and so on.

Thanx in advance!

Is it possible to run the XL+ in real mono without any phasing och cancelation problems

so that all stereo fx collapse into mono?

these 2 things are somewhat opposite. if you collapse stereo FX, you can cause phase cancellation problems.

it's probably best to keep the Output set to Stereo and only use a single cable out of either Left or Right. you definitely won't have phase cancellation that way, but anything that Pans will turn into a Tremolo instead.

if you change the output to Sum L+R, then you collapse everything to mono and can cause phase cancellation.

changing the output to Copy L>R is the exact same thing as staying in Stereo mode and only using a single cable out of the Left output.

these 2 things are somewhat opposite. if you collapse stereo FX, you can cause phase cancellation problems.

it's probably best to keep the Output set to Stereo and only use a single cable out of either Left or Right. you definitely won't have phase cancellation that way, but anything that Pans will turn into a Tremolo instead.

if you change the output to Sum L+R, then you collapse everything to mono and can cause phase cancellation.

changing the output to Copy L>R is the exact same thing as staying in Stereo mode and only using a single cable out of the Left output.

But if I run it in Copy L>R mode will I hear all the "repeats" off a pingpong stereo delay fx out of the Left output?

No, you'd only hear the left channel. But the output mode isn't the issue there. I would suggest not using a Ping Pong delay at all if you are intending to run mono.

No, you'd only hear the left channel. But the output mode isn't the issue there. I would suggest not using a Ping Pong delay at all if you are intending to run mono.

OK so if I get it right all people that use this in a Live situation, are running it in stereo out to the front of house if they are not gonna use any cabs am I right?

Oh yeah! Perhaps throw in modeling of different wood types for the body, neck, and fretboard. Different body styles, e.g. solid vs. semi vs. hollow. If it can be done, Cliff is the guy.

Yeah...different frets aswell...and string gauge...then I can finaly play gauge 013...

finally got a chance to try the new beta

its a bit of a story . I actually gave myself a blind FW test by accident . wife went out and baby went down for a nap , so figured I have an hour to mess around. all my gear was packed away so broke it all out . laptop was flat so spent 10 minutes finding the charger in our messy house . so by the time I got it all set up I was losing time and in a rush . so downloaded the new beta, installed, played and thought at first "this sounds great " . after 5 mins I started thinking " it sounded great before not sure it sounds any better" . another 5 mins I'm pretty underwhelmed with the change and then I notice on axe edit it says Fw 19.01. I still had my last FW , 19.01 , in my download folder and reinstalled that by accident

so installed the new beta and brought up one of my high gain presets and it kinda sounded crap . then I realized it had deleted all my user cabs and given me a factory cab that wasn't working at all . so I dragged in my go to IR at the moment and it sounded good again

by the time I got through all this I only got 15 mins with it and was using headphones. It sounded great . better than before ? maybe, I'm not sure yet,Def not worse . might need to open it up a little to really tell, or at least get it onto my monitors . I actually don't mind that it deleted my user cabs . I had a bunch of stuff in there and I was using 3 . made me clean out and start again

Last edited:
Nice.

Are you using any AFX compressors?

Is that Q1b? What guitar? Pickup(s)? Amp model? Cab? Reverb?

Hey, thanks man! No, I'm not using any compressors. I do have dynamic set under the character tab however. 350 hz .7 Q 2 amount.
The guitar is an Ibanez RG752 with Juggernauts.. Vibro Verb AB, one of the ML Misha cabs with a U87 on it, Small cathedral. Quantum.

This sounds like a post by a guitarists wife.

"See honey, now you don't need all of those guitars because you can get all those sounds from one. We can sell your collection and replace them with shoes and purses."

:lol

See Honey? I am a real man, I do not carry synthetic modeled virtual amplifiers on a little box 8) :lol

VRAmeCarryAmp01.jpg

img_4003.jpg

Attachments

• VRAmeCarryAmp01.jpg
    VRAmeCarryAmp01.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 46
OK so if I get it right all people that use this in a Live situation, are running it in stereo out to the front of house if they are not gonna use any cabs am I right?

no, i run mono most of the time to front of house. many times the PA is not in stereo which would sum things and phase cancel if you sent it a stereo signal.

basically if you know you are running mono, don't use stereo effects that are hard panned, or at least be ok with not hearing "the other side" of that effect.

i keep my output mode to Stereo and send a single cable from Left (or it could be from Right, as long as it's just one). no problems at all.

Played a 5 hour gig at the Milwaukee Rally at Wisconsin Harley-Davidson in Oconomowoc yesterday using FW 1.00 Quantum (FR to FOH, in ear monitor) and the sound was the best and most authentic I've ever had live! It's a bummer that the recording suffered from wind noise. 70+ patches and not a problem!

WatersDeep, song in your sig

LOL wholly crap, Damn, I'm actually watching Orange is the new Black on my second screen. Do you have a spycam in the AXE FX? :mrgreen

Thanks for clarifying which dimension I am to follow.

Hi, just wanted to say, listened to the song in your .sig line, really liked it! I'm an old guy, don't listen to a lot of stuff in that vein (mostly reminds me of Tool, which I like some of) ((If a comparison to Tool seems really odd to you, remember, I'm an old guy that doesn't listen to much in that vein ;-) )) Anyway, really well done, solid composition, very nice mix, congrats all round.

no, i run mono most of the time to front of house. many times the PA is not in stereo which would sum things and phase cancel if you sent it a stereo signal.

basically if you know you are running mono, don't use stereo effects that are hard panned, or at least be ok with not hearing "the other side" of that effect.

i keep my output mode to Stereo and send a single cable from Left (or it could be from Right, as long as it's just one). no problems at all.
Same approach here. We play some clubs / venues with true stereo PA systems, and in those cases I give FOH two sends. Otherwise, for mono systems, I just give them one channel. I have a bank of "hard panned L / R effects" patches, and a copy of that bank with much less severe panning. For stereo I use the wide separation bank, and for mono I use the other one.

finally got a chance to try the new beta

its a bit of a story . I actually gave myself a blind FW test by accident . wife went out and baby went down for a nap , so figured I have an hour to mess around. all my gear was packed away so broke it all out . laptop was flat so spent 10 minutes finding the charger in our messy house . so by the time I got it all set up I was losing time and in a rush . so downloaded the new beta, installed, played and thought at first "this sounds great " . after 5 mins I started thinking " it sounded great before not sure it sounds any better" . another 5 mins I'm pretty underwhelmed with the change and then I notice on axe edit it says Fw 19.01. I still had my last FW , 19.01 , in my download folder and reinstalled that by accident

so installed the new beta and brought up one of my high gain presets and it kinda sounded crap . then I realized it had deleted all my user cabs and given me a factory cab that wasn't working at all . so I dragged in my go to IR at the moment and it sounded good again

by the time I got through all this I only got 15 mins with it and was using headphones. It sounded great . better than before ? maybe, I'm not sure yet,Def not worse . might need to open it up a little to really tell, or at least get it onto my monitors . I actually don't mind that it deleted my user cabs . I had a bunch of stuff in there and I was using 3 . made me clean out and start again

On the next "super nova" firmware version (whether in a month or a year), I hope Fractal will release it with two others (the most recent before it and one other random version from 2015 or later) and not tell anyone which is which (and not give any clues as to what's been changed). Then set up a poll thread and see how many guess which one is the new release with major changes and ask voters to post clips using all three and explain why they made their choice. Let this go for a month and then release the result. I bet you get a lot different commentary and results.

On the next "super nova" firmware version (whether in a month or a year), I hope Fractal will release it with two others (the most recent before it and one other random version from 2015 or later) and not tell anyone which is which (and not give any clues as to what's been changed). Then set up a poll thread and see how many guess which one is the new release with major changes and ask voters to post clips using all three and explain why they made their choice. Let this go for a month and then release the result. I bet you get a lot different commentary and results.

I started to record multiple tracks with the USB dry guitar and with the processed sound, in order to compare the same preset with the previous firmware version and see if I could notice the differences. But after a couple of hours messing around I thought: what the heck am I doing! Let's enjoy playing guitar and tweaking buttons! and I abandoned the project :lol

Last edited:
palm mutes have that wallop-n-bloom like they never have had before. Rad.

I noticed this. Rhythm type stuff is just overall much, much, much more interesting, like a real amp through a real cab.

Its very simple to come up with an inspiration for some poignant bit of rhythmic creativity, and easily think of 5 more before you realize none of it is saved.

This lends itself to writing parts with a drummer, since the syncopation and dynamics are more alive and obvious.

It's new technology, better sound and feel! the number doesn't matter! I seriously doubt Cliffs epiphany being a marketing scheme! Never has in the past!

No, its too different in the low end response - can't imagine this being some minor tweaking by Cliff that got named for promo.
Its bravery for him to forge ahead, and he owed himself a name change this time . Maybe he didnt need to call it Quantum. He could call it Cities On Flame. Or Cat Universal Truth Serum. But he called it Quantum - more a leap than mere pride in workmanship, like calling it " The Ultimate Drive-ing Machine". So rest assured, the next breakthrough will be called something even perhaps understated...If not just plain quaint and homey. Bottom line, the risk taking on Fractal's part may be helpful and timely for marketing, but its definitely some serious hard work and insight behind this. And that's not to mention how gifted the man is.

Reactions: RDH
Back
Top Bottom