Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

nope. mark i here. what was the CPU usage of the presets?

Didn't think to look at the time, but it wasn't any crazy amount of blocks in the preset. I'll check the usage the next time I fire up the Axe.

Edit: Actually, I couldn't have checked the CPU usage at the time because none of the front panel buttons were responding.

Edit 2: (Need to get my shit together here. Lol) I turned off the Axe-Fx and turned it back on, and I could then switch presets, etc. But it was still very slow to respond.

Last edited:
Hi, were you trying to use the front panel on the Axe FX while connected to Axe Edit without using "Pause Communications"?

No. Nothing other than a SPDIF cable was hooked up to the Axe-Fx. Oh, and an instrument cable for the guitar. Lol

Nothing but good things to say about this firmware. Feel and sound are all there. But they were for me many revisions back :)

Hello all - first post here, but long time reader. I had installed the quantum beta after reading the comments as it seemed to have that little bit extra I was looking for - I play through a power amp and cabs and was looking for a little more in dynamics, volume knob response, and low end thump - well, I couldn't be happier with the quantum firmware - it is all there! Just a few moments of minor tweaking and my sound is finally where I want it to be - the feel is right on, it doesn't break apart when cranked up, and the articulation is great - great firmware!

I updated all my three banks of presets to Quantum this week-end. On most, I did only very small tweaks, or no tweaks at all, which is a relief. Specially because one of the betas of firmware 19 had me scared – however it was apparently a case of having to reinstall it. Btw, at least half of the tweaks I did were not related to Quantum at all, often I changed compressor settings (I found new settings that I like), delay and reverb mixes etc. Last but not least, I did some tweaks to save CPU on some presets. Moving all the blocks to the right of the grid when there are parallel paths is the way to go, as even shunts uses some CPU cycles

Slight OT, I recommend AxeFxCabList to anyone who uses many user cabs. I used it to clean my user cabs, deleting those not used, and moving some to over spots to sort them by cab types or to regroup all the empty spots together. The 100 user spots were full in my Axe, now I have around 10 or 15 empty spots to test new IRs, which is perfect for the latest FAS cab packs or the new multi-mic Marshall from Ownhammer. I may try the latest TAF mega pack too

get AxeFxCabList here :
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-new-tool-listing-cabs-used-your-presets.html

. Btw, at least half of the tweaks I did were not related to Quantum at all, often I changed compressor settings (I found new settings that I like), delay and reverb mixes etc.

Hi Fremen. How can we know what tweaks are related to Quantum? I couldn't read all the 600 posts of this thread :)

Hi Fremen. How can we know what tweaks are related to Quantum? I couldn't read all the 600 posts of this thread :)
Mostly level. Sometimes tonestack EQ tweaks but it's more "the feel of the moment" adjustments which I've could have done on the previous firmware too. Some days you want more treble, some days less, it depends a lot on what preset you played before as the ears are always adapting. If I noodle on a bright preset for a long time then go to my main lead, the later may suddenly sound too dark to me, and vice-versa. I'm mostly intuitive with patch programming.

Have to check that out. Thanks for this information!

Does anybody know off the top off their heads what the original preamp tube option was?

May be you mean the following:

FractalAudio #528
Originally Posted by lqdsnddist
In a perfect world I'd be able to tweak a little an get the 20 beta/G3 feel for higher gain stuff while keeping the Quantum cleans and dynamics and not need to buy a second Axe-Fx to run different FW for my clean and my dirty patches

Change the Preamp Tube Type to Short Plate and you'll get the 20 beta feel.

Anyone else find the Axe to be behaving sluggishly after updating to Quantum? For the record, mine is an original Axe-Fx II (Mark I) I was playing last night off and on for about 5 hours or so while working on some drum tracks. (Nothing else hooked up to the Axe-Fx II. Foot controller, expression pedal, Axe Edit, etc.) Axe was being output into my interface via SPDIF. And Pro Tools was clocked at 48k to the Axe-Fx. Noticed that the Axe was reacting very slowly when changing presets on the front panel, and after a while, wouldn't change presets at all. Tried other buttons on the front panel, but they didn't work either. Couldn't get in to edit anything. Still had audio output and nothing sounded weird. Unit just froze and I couldn't move from where I was at. Just wondering if anyone else had stumbled on to this with their Mark I Axe-Fx II. This isn't a complaint at all. Just giving feedback so all the potential issues can be resolved for the official release of Quantum.

The new firmware sounds AMAZING by the way! Never been happier with my sound. Definitely another step forward! Dialed up a patch using the Angel Severe 1 model and factory cab #59. Dimed the preamp gain (which I'd never been able to do before without the amp turning to mush) and put the master volume around 3 or so. Mean, tight, and angry! (Had an ex like that too. Lol :p) I swept around on the master volume level and to be honest, everything was a usable tone from 1-10. I typically don't go for super distorted tones, but I had to check out the "Melt Faces" Easter egg. Lol And I was shocked to find the amp respond like it did. Very very cool. :)

I had a similar issue with the last 19 beta and it continued with 20 beta, seems better after quantum though? Mark 1 also

I updated all my three banks of presets to Quantum this week-end.

Hey Fremen...just curious as to what you meant by updating all 3 banks to Quantum? I'm assuming when a FW is updated, then it affects all banks automatically correct, or did you have to do something else to reset them for the FW?

Thanks!

I meant checking all my presets one by one and fixing what needed to be or changing whatever I wanted to change depending on the mood of the moment

okey, had some more time to try out the other amps.....I pleased to say, this is by far the most accurate sounding update ever! Man, the Marshall amps were great to, Fenders were spot on - now it's a pure joy to play the axefx. I had serious thoughts to sell the unit because I rarely used the machine for the last months, but this......wow! Normally I'm not into big long words about awesomness etc. but this here........AWESOME!!! :ugeek

so I apologize to Cliff and FAS for giving them so tough times since Fw17.....even if I still think my words were not so hot as they got eaten in the past. Anyway, this here is for public - another goes out directly to the HQ in a few days....

Cheers
Paco

Back
Top Bottom