Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

I know everything is subjective and personal preference, but I'm liking what Quantum does for the friedmans! Seems to have taken away some tubbyness.

The Friedman is one of the amps in the Axe-FX that sounds awesome whether I'm going into the computer via USB, amp/cab, or the Friedman ASM-12. Just seems I barely ever have to do much tweaking with that one to find my tone. I don't know if that "tubbiness" is what gives it that weight I like in my tone. I'm able to tweak any of the amps with that core Marshall feel (Cameron, Splawn, etc.).

Some amps I don't ever seem to be able to gel with for some reason like the Soldano. It just always sounds like there is no low end and top heavy. I've never played a real Soldano so really I don't know what to adjust.

Got to try this out a decent volume today. There is no doubt about it, with a real cab this thing now has trouser flapping ballsl! I think its going to be a real cab for live playing from on for me.

The Friedman is one of the amps in the Axe-FX that sounds awesome whether I'm going into the computer via USB, amp/cab, or the Friedman ASM-12. Just seems I barely ever have to do much tweaking with that one to find my tone. I don't know if that "tubbiness" is what gives it that weight I like in my tone. I'm able to tweak any of the amps with that core Marshall feel (Cameron, Splawn, etc.).

Some amps I don't ever seem to be able to gel with for some reason like the Soldano. It just always sounds like there is no low end and top heavy. I've never played a real Soldano so really I don't know what to adjust.

I have a real SLO100. Start with all tone controls at 12 o'clock. Gain on about 7 and then get the master volute past 3 or 4. The real amp is like that. Sounds a bit shrill until driven loud.

What Vinnyburns said. Crank the hell out of the master volume. Because the Axe Fx tapers are different, have it AT LEAST past 5 to get the sound to fill out properly.

Got to try this out a decent volume today. There is no doubt about it, with a real cab this thing now has trouser flapping ballsl! I think its going to be a real cab for live playing from on for me.

Curious as to what power amp you're using.

This thread is moving so fast, I didn't have time to go through all 609 posts.......:shock

But I did see a couple of mentions about a bug fix 1.01 beta "coming in a few hours" a couple of days ago. Is that still coming, or is Cliff waiting for the official release?

RELEASE TH KRACKEN!

Yesterday, I had my first live gig in over a year, a huge Labor Day weekend end-of-summer bash with two bands, including a few of my fellow Dweezilla 2013 Band Camp members and featuring my new bass player-buddy Mike Caruso of the Doughboys.

The night before, I tweaked the intonation on my 2015 Fender Blackout Stratocaster retrofitted with a DiMarzio Andy Timmons pre-wired pick guard (courtesy of Sigler Music DiMarzio Andy Timmons Loaded Strat Pickguard DP224F AT-1, DP187 Cruise – Sigler Music ), upgraded my XL to Quantum, dialed up some Fenders at gig volume through my Atomic Neos.

Everyone was amazed at just how good the AXE sounded. Cut through the mix perfectly! I even had a very good tube-lov'in guest guitarist friend who - until yesterday - was not a fan of the AXE play through it and even he admitted he loved how it sounds!!!

Thank you Cliff, Matt and FAS for your tireless mission to further the arts and sciences with this amazing technology. And thank you for letting me be part of this community! Have a great Labor Day everyone! :D
26dab68e008b158c18635ba7820c77d0.jpg

4a86074167e25bfaa61839356a43bf6f.jpg
57bf667201d5db59ff5d39370359aa78.jpg

Last edited:
I have a real SLO100. Start with all tone controls at 12 o'clock. Gain on about 7 and then get the master volute past 3 or 4. The real amp is like that. Sounds a bit shrill until driven loud.

Shweeet!! tried it went to 5 then to 6 on MV, gonna have to work this into my presets! thanks man!!

Man, I'm loving what Quantum has done to the amps ! It's...... well..., more comparable to the physical objects of comparison!! = Realer! :)

Was it someone even like me?
Have the XL and installed today the Quantum Beta FW. I had tons of user-cab-IRs loaded, including a lot of rubbish that I eventually wanted to throw down again. After setting up the Quantum Beta FW he gave me the whole (previous) user cabs displayed as factory cabs, the user cabs were empty. The factory cabs go now to F691. I installed then again FW 19 (had 20 Beta omitted), deleted the whole user cabs and then again pulled up Quantum-Beta. So far so good. The last factory Cab number was then F179 "4x12 USA 57 A" and user-Cabs still empty. So, then I have some user-Cabs charged. U001 to U012, secured the whole thing and turned off the Axe. After restarting, I see that he mentions the charged as user Cabs IR's as factory Cabs F180-F195 and my user-cabs U001 to U012 are empty. Can that be so wanted? I can no longer delete my user cabs now!

You can overwrite the user cabs with axe edit. Just drop them on the empty U slots and they will show up under the ones listed as F after you save. You just can't save to the new slots yet.

Anyone else find the Axe to be behaving sluggishly after updating to Quantum? For the record, mine is an original Axe-Fx II (Mark I) I was playing last night off and on for about 5 hours or so while working on some drum tracks. (Nothing else hooked up to the Axe-Fx II. Foot controller, expression pedal, Axe Edit, etc.) Axe was being output into my interface via SPDIF. And Pro Tools was clocked at 48k to the Axe-Fx. Noticed that the Axe was reacting very slowly when changing presets on the front panel, and after a while, wouldn't change presets at all. Tried other buttons on the front panel, but they didn't work either. Couldn't get in to edit anything. Still had audio output and nothing sounded weird. Unit just froze and I couldn't move from where I was at. Just wondering if anyone else had stumbled on to this with their Mark I Axe-Fx II. This isn't a complaint at all. Just giving feedback so all the potential issues can be resolved for the official release of Quantum.

The new firmware sounds AMAZING by the way! Never been happier with my sound. Definitely another step forward! Dialed up a patch using the Angel Severe 1 model and factory cab #59. Dimed the preamp gain (which I'd never been able to do before without the amp turning to mush) and put the master volume around 3 or so. Mean, tight, and angry! (Had an ex like that too. Lol :p) I swept around on the master volume level and to be honest, everything was a usable tone from 1-10. I typically don't go for super distorted tones, but I had to check out the "Melt Faces" Easter egg. Lol And I was shocked to find the amp respond like it did. Very very cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom