Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

Could it be that for some reason, some units give different tone results?

I don't think so atall, I think people have different perceptions and tastes, different gear and and and....what works for some does not work for other. The possibillity to get a good tone out of the Axe is 100% and proofen by so many clips by now. Even just with my handy recorded in the room, where is no processing sounds still amazing.....

Why is it that people get different amount of bugs if all Axe FX's are the same?
Like, Axe doesn't freeze for me with axe edit. This beta, so far, has given absolutely no problems to me.

What about tone?
Why is it that most see an improvement, but a few people say such things as "It doesn't work in mix anymore" or "The tone went away with this new firmware"?

No, I think people just get comfortable with what they're used to. Then an update comes along and the tone is slightly different, so as a result, the listen feels that it is slightly out of place.

Just updated to quantum... Man, it's really amazing.
And yeah, Cliff forgot to remove his own Cabs from the firmware IMO :p

Why is it that people get different amount of bugs if all Axe FX's are the same?
Like, Axe doesn't freeze for me with axe edit. This beta, so far, has given absolutely no problems to me.

What about tone?
Why is it that most see an improvement, but a few people say such things as "It doesn't work in mix anymore" or "The tone went away with this new firmware"?

1. Because the computer Operating System, USB cable, global settings, how the Fractal is patched into the audio interface etc. are all different.

2. Because starting with an existing preset means there is more chance for varying results. If everyone started with a reset preset and used the same factory cab and the same set of headphones plugged into the front panel, the variations would be less. There would be variations of course because the real magic that everyone is chasing is in the person playing the guitar not in the Fractal.

1. Because the computer Operating System, USB cable, global settings, how the Fractal is patched into the audio interface etc. are all different.

2. Because starting with an existing preset means there is more chance for varying results. If everyone started with a reset preset and used the same factory cab and the same set of headphones plugged into the front panel, the variations would be less. There would be variations of course because the real magic that everyone is chasing is in the person playing the guitar not in the Fractal.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Several years ago I uploaded the latest firmware and I was getting just a horrible, harsh tone. It was driving me crazy and I even sent some of my patches to guys here on the forum and we couldn't replicate it. I downloaded the firmware again and fixed it.

Pretty amazing what Cliff has been able to do though. I find myself sometimes being all careful when I'm plugging something into the back of the Axe-FX, like I'm going to burn my arm on a power tube. Then I'm like "wait, this thing doesn't have tubes.". :) Too many years reaching behind tube amps.

The only thing Q1b did to mine that was unusual was it changed my reverb blocks to a different type in about 1/4 of my patches. The amp block changes I was expecting.

Sounds very good , though.

Quantum is much more accurate and realistic but some players like compression. Short Plate is a little compressed compared to a real triode (which the new Authentic type models). The other way is to simply dial the Dynamics parameter slightly negative. This will compress things a bit.

That was exactly it, and those 2 changes really did make the noticeable difference I was looking for. Dynamics is a great thing and makes it really fun to play edge of breakup patches. For hard rock and metal rhythm I guess I like that more compressed/less dynamic feel, just feels more consistent playing rhythm guitar and maybe covers sloppy playing (like mine often is lol) a touch better.

Long story short

1) So very cool to get feedback direct from the man behind the product
2) Glad to know I wasn't crazy and the differences I was hearing/feeling were exactly what as going on
3) That this new FW has some quick and easy ways to get that more compressed feel for patches where I want it and the great new dynamics and punch when I don't

I'm sold on it. I'll have my credit card out and ready to purchase it when the final release updates comes around and........Oh wait, this is Fractal and we these amazing updates for free!

+1

And add the guitar (with 100s of differences in wood, pickups, pots, hardware etc) and the person behind it, and you have a VERY wide outcome. It almost impossible to sound the same. Friends who play on my presets does not sound like me at all.

Btw... Quantum is the .hit. Amazing!!!

Man the CAE is open and alive!! And tweed on Melt Face-setting :D:D

WoW..Cool

Cliff :)
Thanks for moving the COMP TRESH,to the PWR DYN page.. Kudos !
Way more easy to tweek now

Attachments

• DSC06143.JPG
    DSC06143.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 80
Because you get the punch. The old triode models don't have the dynamics. The extra dynamics gives you that trouser flapping punch like a good tube amp.
I play drop A metal. And things have never sounded this good or real. I feel like the tone is very similar to 20beta but it feels like a real amp finally rather than an imitation.

You skip a a few days around here and It's "QUANTUM" Firmware and The Edge is playing through a cover bands Axe....I remember now, I took the Red Pill.

Really digging the FEEL of the new Firmware! Thanks again Cliff and Co!

We're in the middle of a three day music festival, playing all three days. I upgraded to Quantum a few days ago and felt comfortable enough to keep it for the gig. I like the upgrade but playing the first night last night it seems to have added more gain to my plexi and HBE patches to where I need to ride the volume knob on my guitar down to 4 or 5 or I get too much breakup/distortion. The HBE was always my go to for heavy stuff but now it has a fuzziness it didn't before. I've got the II XL+, but noticed that my cabs didn't change after the upgrade (I only use the factory assigned cabs), while others on here said they had to reset their cab assignments. Is this an indication that I need to reset something in there, or do I need to get used to using the guitar volume more?

Turn down the gain in the amp?

I thought of that, but hadn't seen anyone saying they had to adjust the amp gain levels as a result of quantum. Thats what I'll probably do if I haven't heard anything else obvious. Still wondering why I didn't have to reset the cab assignments when others with the II XL+ had to.

I don't post much about much let alone new firmware, but after gigging with the Quantum Beta last night, I felt the need. I usually don't go out with a beta version for a show to be safe from any bugs. I took a chance and did last night and I loved it. I've messed around with it at home at lower volumes for a couple days but the true benefit of this firmware IMO is apparent at gig volume. In short, everything just sounded right and even more so, felt right! I mostly rely on Marshall type amps models-Plexi, JVM,Friedmans along with a couple cleaner Fender models. I run direct to FOH and a CLR out of OP1 and thru a Matrix power amp into my trusty, well worn, decades old Marshall cab from OP2. I have never heard both sources sound so good. Low end was right where it should be, highs sound and FEEL natural and the mids....Well, they just bloom and breath. The cabinet pumped and felt alive and the FOH sound sat in the mix so well. There is a "presence" and immediacy to the direct sound that I had not heard until this firmware. I didn't change a thing on my patches and they translated to the new firmware flawlessly. As the night went on I couldn't help but notice how differently I was playing. The feel of everything has changed, no, improved in that it felt completely natural and I didn't have to "fight" the sound. Everything just flowed. The feel and response of every sound I used last night was just on point. Kudos to Cliff and Co. for the work to make this happen. I am truly impressed!

Back
Top Bottom