Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

Im sure I will get flack for this, but be that as it may...This is in no way a criticism of FAS....

Given all the wonderful recent FW updates (18+) and G3 implementation, would it really surprise anyone if this release was really FW 21 (check out your patches on Axe Edit) that for marketing purposes got a dramatic name to counteract all the major buzz that Line 6 is getting with Helix these days?

Lets face it, buzz and excitement in anticipation of Helixs release has been dominating the forums for a while. In order to compete for potential customers attention, something needed to be done to bring that attention to the Axe .Something new and exciting for folks to talk about with a catchy name for drama. In fact it would be an extremely smart thing to do to deal with all the press and hype of the "competition". And it has succeeded in generating new excitement and interest from folks that up until now have been focused on Helix.

Call it what you will....Quantum...FW21.....by either name it still sounds sweet to me ;)

I felt and heard the changes as soon as I updated and plugged my strat in. The way the power tubes saturate and respond is on the one hand kind of subtle, but for me it was also pretty dramatic. I found that that amp (Super Reverb) was brighter but also had more clarity and I was able to turn off the bright switch while maintaining clarity.

The amp (especially the power section) really responds differently and is more "3D" to me. This beta is interesting because it is kind of subtle and very dramatic at the same time. I think Cliff is genuinely excited and the product of his labor reflects this to my ears. This is really exciting!

Great job Cliff!!!!

As I recall it was the same level of excitement at FW10, so no name changes needed for appreciation and attention.

Im sure I will get flack for this, but be that as it may...This is in no way a criticism of FAS....

Given all the wonderful recent FW updates (18+) and G3 implementation, would it really surprise anyone if this release was really FW 21 (check out your patches on Axe Edit) that for marketing purposes got a dramatic name to counteract all the major buzz that Line 6 is getting with Helix these days?

Lets face it, buzz and excitement in anticipation of Helixs release has been dominating the forums for a while. In order to compete for potential customers attention, something needed to be done to bring that attention to the Axe .Something new and exciting for folks to talk about with a catchy name for drama. In fact it would be an extremely smart thing to do to deal with all the press and hype of the "competition". And it has succeeded in generating new excitement and interest from folks that up until now have been focused on Helix.

Call it what you will....Quantum...FW21.....by either name it still sounds sweet to me ;)

I'm not going to give you flak but I'll just say that Cliff and Co. don't need to promote the AxeFX. Many of us here on the forum were playing the AxeFX before the advertisements, etc. It really does sell itself.

Life gives you lemons, mix your bad self up a big ole batch of some LEMONADE!

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

You can make a battery with lemons which theoretically could be used as part of a detonator. Most organic material is extremely flammable in the presence of LOX. So, yeah. Theoretically, it might be possible to build a bomb made out of lemons. Not something I would want to waste my time on. I'd rather be messing around with Quantum.

I'm not going to give you flak but I'll just say that Cliff and Co. don't need to promote the AxeFX. Many of us here on the forum were playing the AxeFX before the advertisements, etc. It really does sell itself.

Then why not just call it FW21? (Especially if the leap for FW10 was similarly big to this update.)

Whatever the reason for calling it Quantum (seriously, this name choice seems to be a direct response to Helix in my quesstimation), as long as it makes users / owners happy, it's a good thing. But more importantly for the company, any marketing that could lure in FUTURE buyers, whether for AXE II or AX8, who might be thinking of trying to go with a competitor's product (L6, Kemper, whatever) is just plain good marketing and smart business. Whether the Helix even approaches the quality of the AX8, a good businessman has to get his product in the mind of consumers who might buy his product. The timing was perfect and the reaction from the existing customer base are just the thing to get people turning their eyes from the new kid to the AX8. Unlike many marketing efforts, this one was backed up with substance. Nicely done.

One thing I noted last night while trying out the new FW.. I would typically reset (re-initialize) an amp model and then reset the cab block as well so I could hear the changes in the amp models without cab edits applied (like I usually do). On many of the amps I tried (various Marshalls, DC30, AC30, etc.) I had to turn down the level quite a bit more than what I would typically run it (down to -19 or -20 db). Just curious if this was expected or experienced by others?

That was my experience (compare the un-adjusted levels in my fw 19 vs. Q1 shootout: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/103781-fw-19-vs-quantum-amp-shootout.html).

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

Portal 2... Ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff could call the release "Susan" for all I care, its just a name, and unless I specifically tab all the way over on the menu's I'll never even see it appear on my LCD screen, so what does it really matter what he wants to name it ?

Anyone not going to DL the next update if he wants to start naming them after members of his family, or favorite vegetables etc ?

Except for the guys who spent a ton of time trying to get the perfect "21" avatar made, why is what he called it important ?

Cliff could call the release "Susan" for all I care, its just a name, and unless I specifically tab all the way over on the menu's I'll never even see it appear on my LCD screen, so what does it really matter what he wants to name it ?

Anyone not going to DL the next update if he wants to start naming them after members of his family, or favorite vegetables etc ?

Except for the guys who spent a ton of time trying to get the perfect "21" avatar made, why is what he called it important ?

When is susan coming out???

Dammit... another six hours and I would have had my 21 avatar perfected!

No one gives a rat's fuzzy asshole about Line6 or Kemper. I'd really like it if we could keep the zany conspiracy theories bottled up in the General forum so I can avoid it because it's really, really annoying. Their stuff has nothing to do with QUANTUM, G3, Axe-FX II Mark whatever, FX8, AX8 or any of that. I doubt anyone in the Fractal compound is awake at night thinking about how to beat Yamaha's subsidiary. Cliff just does his own thing. No is worried about moving units. Why is everyone so concerned about someone else's business model? There are so many Monday Morning Quarterbacks on this forum flipping burgers and playing in bullshit bar bands second guessing Cliff and Co's business acumen it's hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom