Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

my guess is since it's a new paradigm in modeling on the Axe, Cliff felt it deserved a new name.

or he just wanted to.

either way is fine for me.

Or its better for PR/marketing purposes and gets back some of the attention that the Line 6 Helix has been getting recently with THEIR new product ;)

Any ac30tb model users around here? Can you share your thoughts on the "quantum leap"? My axe is in Rome and I'm not, which means i cant hear the quantum until next sunday....

8 more hours at work....8 more hours at work.

And does anyone believe that the recent developments/discoveries regarding spooky action at a distance have NOTHING to do with the new FW?

There are no coincidences'.

Signing off from Roswell via Area 51.

-R

Any ac30tb model users around here? Can you share your thoughts on the "quantum leap"? My axe is in Rome and I'm not, which means i cant hear the quantum until next sunday....

Definitely sounds better. As someone said on here or another forum..."more realer!"

CLIPPAGE!!!!!

Mark IV and Suhr Veteran 30. First part is FW19 and the second part is Quantum. It's doing something to the dynamics right? When I played it I felt like the amp was a lot brighter but when I recorded it, it was equal brightness. It's not necessarily easily audible but when I'm palm muting the low end is tighter.

Niiiiiice!

Are people seriously hearing a difference in the clips here? I've listened multiple times in a well-treated room on nice studio monitors and I cannot really say that one sounds better than the other. Based on the comments posted, I was expecting a night and day difference. Again, this is just based on the clips I'm hearing as I haven't updated yet. Maybe it's more of a "feel" thing so hopefully I'll chub up a little more once I get to install it next week. But damn, you guys must have some golden ears!

Are people seriously hearing a difference in the clips here? I've listened multiple times in a well-treated room on nice studio monitors and I cannot really say that one sounds better than the other. Based on the comments posted, I was expecting a night and day difference. Again, this is just based on the clips I'm hearing as I haven't updated yet. Maybe it's more of a "feel" thing so hopefully I'll chub up a little more once I get to install it next week. But damn, you guys must have some golden ears!

Only thing I hear is it sounds just a touch brighter in the mids and upper frequencies. Which feels like an increase in "presence" to me.

I don't think an MP3 can capture the difference. I don't hear it either. But I definitely do hear it (and feel it) on my rig.

Huge difference in sound & feel to me. So far I've played it for about 6 hours between last night & this morning and am blown away. More reactive to my fingers and picking, much improved harmonic response, MUCH less tweaking when starting from scratch. THAT said...

I don't start from scratch with new FWs. I have a massive library of presets (multiple cover bands, and I'm one of those guys that does individual presets for each song) and every time I upgrade there is a price to be paid. This time the price is higher- because of the amazing improvement in how we dial in the gain stages in the amp block almost every preset I have needs to be reworked. Lots of work to do before gigs start tomorrow. BUT- it is TOTALLY WORTH EVERY SECOND!!!! I really don't know how Cliff does it, but time and again he improves what seems to be perfect. I'm having a hard time reworking my presets because I can't stop playing once I redial a preset in. Quantum truly is THAT fantastic.

Kudos, Mr. Chase. You have outdone yourself yet again. And if you don't believe me, you have to take the word of my dog Loki on that- she loves to "sing" along while I play (she's part Husky & part Australian Shepard so she's a howler) but usually bails on me 5 minutes or so into it, but with Quantum she literally "sang" for over a half hour. :)

tighter bass, more clarity.

I just hope that cabinet block bug that cut the bass off around firmware 16-17, didn't get re-introduced accidentally at some point.

Only thing I hear is it sounds just a touch brighter in the mids and upper frequencies. Which feels like an increase in "presence" to me.

yeah man i am sure that this whole Quantum thing is a bunch of bunk and its just an EQ presence thing.... Can you say WET BLANKET ;)

yeah man i am sure that this whole Quantum thing is a bunch of bunk and its just an EQ presence thing.... Can you say WET BLANKET ;)

i think he's referring just to the clip, and not the changes in the FW in general. i could be wrong.

tighter bass, more clarity.

I just hope that cabinet block bug that cut the bass off around firmware 16-17, didn't get re-introduced accidentally at some point.
that bug only affected Ultra Res cabs, so you can check by turning off Ultra Res. the tighter bass from QFW 1.00 is more about compression than "missing" or phase cancellation, so i don't think there's any bug.

I played a patch for about 30 mins, then updated. I heard tighter low end, and he high end was smoother, less harsh (friedman small box amp).

Definite improvement, flipped over to the rectos and they sound better too, although the recto2's were gaining like mad.. this is a known problem.

Listen at 0.12 and 0.41 and compare them.
The difference in bass response should be very audible.

I really miss my AxeFX. Sold it more than a year ago to buy th XL. Ampl...re was announced. So I decided to wait to try it out. Really like the form Factor.

The Ampl...re is NOT available yet :-(

with the announcement of the Ax8 I am not sure that the other one is my final rig( if it ever arrives)

The questions has been asked here but I didnt see the answer:

Will the Ax8 support the Quantum Update?

kind regards

AAEN

I really miss my AxeFX. Sold it more than a year ago to buy th XL. Ampl...re was announced. So I decided to wait to try it out. Really like the form Factor.

The Ampl...re is NOT available yet :-(

with the announcement of the Ax8 I am not sure that the other one is my final rig( if it ever arrives)

The questions has been asked here but I didnt see the answer:

Will the Ax8 support the Quantum Update?

kind regards

AAEN

AX-8 and Axe-Fx II share the same code base so any updates to the Axe-Fx II apply to the AX-8.

Just back from work, updated, loving it. Amps I never used before like the ac30tb are totally bitchin', I felt they were clubby before but now it's chewy dynamic. Jcm800 feels more realer, especially in settings I would use on a real one. The gain amps have turned into grumbling monsters that are aggressive but controllable. More playing required...

Very impressed here - dynamics really seem improved with my rig updated to the Quantum release.

I've always dedicated an expression pedal to vary the input trim from about .5 to 1 depending on the amp model. I used this pedal with crunch / gain amps to simulate volume knob roll-off which I felt worked better than using the volume knob on my guitars (I use mainly Gibson SG, Carvin DC127). With this update, I've gained an expression pedal because varying my guitars' volume knobs seems to work really well now - from hi-gain I can roll off to a jangly articulate semi-crunch without volume loss and from there if I go heavy on the strings I get back to mega-crunch territory. The dynamics were definitely there before, but now with Quantum, unless I'm just in a good mood today, the playing dynamics really shine.

i think he's referring just to the clip, and not the changes in the FW in general. i could be wrong.

that bug only affected Ultra Res cabs, so you can check by turning off Ultra Res. the tighter bass from QFW 1.00 is more about compression than "missing" or phase cancellation, so i don't think there's any bug.

Yes Chris, you are correct. I was referring to my perception of the clip. :)

Back
Top Bottom