Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Public Beta

Downloaded it last night and the update went flawlessly.
I practiced for several hours, loving this new version.
Can't wait 'til this weekend's gigs!
Thanks Cliff!!!

I'm playing mostly acoustic these days, but after loading it this morning upon so many rave reviews, I can just say "Yessir. Yessir indeed.".

Very. Very. Nice.

After a false start (somehow my global p.a modelling got turned off during the FW update causing all sorts of confusion!)

I've started a couple of patches from scratch using my two favourite high gain amps and favourite corresponding IRs and I am very impressed. I used to need a couple of GEQ blocks before and after the amp to get the low/low mids to behave, and a HPF to block the super low resonant sub frequencies after the cab, but not any more.The excessive subbyness seems to have gone and the amps are less mushy but still feel bouncy. The character of the clipping seems sort of layered and more complex rather than a flat fuzz/fizz on the top of the fundamentals. I now have to work much less hard to get the sound I want.

My new go-to high gain rhythm patches are simply an amp and a cab. Nothing more, no filtering except the bass cut under the bass control in the tone stack.

Considering that my FW10 presets were very complex, took days to build and had multiple drives and GEQs everywhere, thats progress in my book!

Well done Cliff. I'd love to see what you have done.

Possible to go back without problems to 20b IF Q1 isn't working for me?

Yes, make sure and back everything up before loading new firmware though!!Otherwise you will lose it! Then you can roll back if you want, and re load your presets! But so far from what I've experienced with Q 1, You won't go back!!

Sounds really exiting.......

Feels like someone has blown the dirt out of the amps or has changed the tubes.

No Need to reload amps, the new FW-Sound is just there.

Very fast at every pickattack, more open Highs?

I love the Marshalls 50W and the JTM 45 - a great Response to the volumepoti. Great to Play only with amp and cab.

But - the heavyamps like Savage, Diezel don´t like this Firmware - the dirt, deep Sound is missing.

It´s not easy to make everything better.........

WOOOOAH!
Loaded up the firmware, jammed a bit on my usual Friedman HBE and then I went to an old Mark IV patch that I never really got to be as great as my Friedman patch, it was just fun to jam on when playing Lamb of God riffs or such, tweaked the EQ a bit and now I've been jamming on this for about 2 hours and just can't stop, LOVING IT!

Even for axe apprentices like me, not always hearing those subtle nuances of cathode grid conductance improvements, this one is audibly a New Level of Awesomeness!

Thank You Cliff!

Last edited:
Shit, I passed right by this thread because I saw "1.00" and just assumed that someone was bumping up a thread from when the II was first released. I'm such a dummy. Glad I clicked on this thread, but now sad that I have to go to work tonight.

I hear digital squirrely artifacts when I have a "lead tone" but then back the volume knob off, and turn off the noise gating. I am hearing this with active and passive pickup equipped guitars. I have several devices in the effects loop of my AXE FX just to be clear.

It could be dirty power, or something like a power supply too close to audio cables, or what have you. The problem is, I don't recall hearing that with 20beta1.

I experienced it with the models that come right after the Friedman's and before the Gib Scout. Sorry, but I'm no longer in front of my axe.

Is anyone else experiencing weirdness, when you turn down the guitar 50% and listen?

Downloaded firmware but holding off for more feedback. Just went through a big re-arrangement to accommodate the FX8 into the system. Got it sounding REALLY good so I think I'll hide and watch for a while.

If you want more feedback. TURN UP YOUR AMP AND HOLD YOUR GUTAR NEAR THE SPEAKER. (Just kidding ;)

Before I dive in, can you give an example of what you had to do generally to your presets to make them work after the update? By this I mean, was it just level, or did the update screw with the basic tone/sound to the point that a lot of tweaking was required? I don't have as many working presets as you do, maybe 40 or so, but I worry a little about the workload if the update sends all my gigging presets out of whack. Plus, I tend to do all my editing via Axe-Edit, and in this beta, that's probably a no-no at this point.

I really didn't 'have' to do anything but the sound was so good it inspired me to experiment! I found it so easy to greatly improve my presets that I changed a little in some and a lot in others! It seems like many of the basic amp parameters have more or wider sweet spots.

Back
Top Bottom