Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Firmware Release

No it's not a placebo effect, and no I'm not a fanboy...I just enjoy playing my guitar with my Axe Fx and performing for people.

And I believe you ~ I also believe Cliff when he says Quantum is a huge deal! I'm just upset that I can't try it until I hit the road again (in about 3 weeks) :(

Personally I consider Quantum the biggest improvement from previous firmware than any other release. The day I first got it working I was so shocked at how good it sounded I jumped out my chair. I then crafted an email to Matt with the title "I did it!!!". I'm sure he'll be happy to verify.
Awesome. Same sentiment here. After 7 years with the Axe-Fx, within minutes of playing Quantum I said, "he finally did it."

I gigged direct to an EAW concert system last week. It was glorious

Personally I consider Quantum the biggest improvement from previous firmware than any other release. The day I first got it working I was so shocked at how good it sounded I jumped out my chair. I then crafted an email to Matt with the title "I did it!!!". I'm sure he'll be happy to verify.

I hear and feel the same Cliff!! To quote Bob Marley: " Some feel the rain, some only get wet" !!

Well, with you saying that, I look all the more forward to finding the time these days to dive into it. If it is bigger than the improvement 12 and 18 brought (I think 12 was the one with the "I fell from a ladder in my bathroom and hit my head on the toilet seat epiphany" :)), then I can not imagine right now how. I mean, frankly - FW19 sounded already so fricking amazing, specifically the Plexis, Rectos and Angle Severe models were -perfect- to my taste - how can it get any better than that...?!?!? Stay tuned, i am going to find out...!!! :eagerness:

One thing that cant be argued is that there has been an overall increase in the quality of the modeling over the past couple years. Thanks Cliff for your dedication and commitment.

I'll chime in:

IMO the SOUND hasn't significantly changed. My uneducated terminology might be it 'glitters' more. Feedback is easier to attain, and it pops in the mix much more than before.

Where I think the significant improvement comes in touch sensitivity and dynamics. It response SO well to attack and nuance in your playing that there is a much greater connection between what your fingers dictate, and what you hear in the speakers. Where I used to use the volume knob for lighter distorted pieces, then up for more, I can just use pick attack and accomplish the same effect.

Yes, there has been hyperbole over this release, and I believe rightfully so. As far as others 'not hearing it', I would guess that some amps benefited from this release more than others (this has been my experience IMO.) Also, that many tweaks that are my usual 'go to's' are now out the door, and I only hit a few (bass still seems to be more forward for me than I like, and I dial it down and even use 'cut' on many amps.) Otherwise, my main tweaks are picking the IR I like the best. Oh, and the presence knob is your friend.

Count me in the 'huge step forward' crowd.

R

It's all about dynamics. The Axe-Fx became better and better in this regard. I kept my tube amps for a while, but now it might be the time to sell them ...

One thing that cant be argued is that there has been an overall increase in the quality of the modeling over the past couple years. Thanks Cliff for your dedication and commitment.

That's for sure. A few got it down pretty good....I think Cliff has it nailed now.

You'll see Radley.. it's a remarkable improvement.

All I can say to this is....well, I'm actually speechless. I definitely have to redo all my tones.....but THIS is what we should have had to start with when we were creating tones. When I get done with this thing, I'm going to finally have the tones I've always wanted. If someone doesn't notice a difference with this FW for the better, (you may have to look down the road after tweaking to see the "better") re-download and reinstall. It made my patches worse, but in a good way...if that makes sense? More tubey like they should be...less of that fizzy transistor artifact we were starting to get in MY opinion. "Remarkable" is pretty dead on, Hotplate.

I'll chime in:

IMO the SOUND hasn't significantly changed. My uneducated terminology might be it 'glitters' more. Feedback is easier to attain, and it pops in the mix much more than before.

Where I think the significant improvement comes in touch sensitivity and dynamics. It response SO well to attack and nuance in your playing that there is a much greater connection between what your fingers dictate, and what you hear in the speakers. Where I used to use the volume knob for lighter distorted pieces, then up for more, I can just use pick attack and accomplish the same effect.

Yes, there has been hyperbole over this release, and I believe rightfully so. As far as others 'not hearing it', I would guess that some amps benefited from this release more than others (this has been my experience IMO.) Also, that many tweaks that are my usual 'go to's' are now out the door, and I only hit a few (bass still seems to be more forward for me than I like, and I dial it down and even use 'cut' on many amps.) Otherwise, my main tweaks are picking the IR I like the best. Oh, and the presence knob is your friend.

Count me in the 'huge step forward' crowd.

R

I'm with you with all that...especially the "some amps benefited" part. Some changed to where major tweaking must be done but are closer to what they should sound like, others just got better to where they literally sound and FEEL like tubes even though they have to be tweaked.

It's all about dynamics. The Axe-Fx became better and better in this regard. I kept my tube amps for a while, but now it might be the time to sell them ...

This right here especially. When I first got my AxeFx a few years ago, one of the first things I noticed and cried about was how the dynamics were lacking as far as MY playing and tone were concerned. The sounds were always good...but you guys know what I mean when I talk about the feel. I'm really "feeling" amps now with the right sustain instead of that dying out too early thing we sort of got on a few builds. That was another thing that bothered me. We were almost there with this thing...but over time, things got better and better and most of all, I think I as well as others, just learned to deal with some of the little issues that may have annoyed us because seriously, say what you want about this thing, but the tones were always killer and comparable to any tube amp even if it wasn't exact. We're there now....dynamically, feel tone, this is really awesome. It will take me a while to change things over, but it will be time well spent because now the characteristics that were not as there, seem to all be there now. Just wow!

-Danny

Last edited:
Tried the Axe with Quantum firmware at rehearsal tonight. I must admit that normally, I don't hear much of a difference between firmwares. This time, there was a clear difference. It sounded more 'chunky', the distortion character seems fundamentally changed (in a good way). Very nice!

So I am two whole days in to owning the AxeFx... the sound is just incredible. But coming in with Quantum preloaded, I guess I don't have any comparison. Scrolling thru this conversation a little, I'd love to find out a bit more about what quantum does and how it actually improves things. The summary I get is it seems to improve dynamics to the point where people who usually use (insert nice amp name here) feel that they use the same settings as they would on a real amp. So it would be nice for a bit of a technical explanation about what's really going on under the hood.

On a side note, there seems to be much talk of placebos and adjusting settings after an update. It would seem pretty straightforward to record a song into your PC before you do the update, afterwards pre-tweak and also post tweak to see what has changed.

So I am two whole days in to owning the AxeFx... the sound is just incredible. But coming in with Quantum preloaded, I guess I don't have any comparison. Scrolling thru this conversation a little, I'd love to find out a bit more about what quantum does and how it actually improves things. The summary I get is it seems to improve dynamics to the point where people who usually use (insert nice amp name here) feel that they use the same settings as they would on a real amp. So it would be nice for a bit of a technical explanation about what's really going on under the hood.

On a side note, there seems to be much talk of placebos and adjusting settings after an update. It would seem pretty straightforward to record a song into your PC before you do the update, afterwards pre-tweak and also post tweak to see what has changed.

You are pretty much of a rocket scientist if you can hear and adjust like that! (Except i know what you mean, if you are very familiar with a particular amp or sound). Guys like me are trying 30 different sounds and know literally nothing about how the artists got them. Plus, it can be a subtle character thing - hidden in an aspect of one thing driving something else. For me just pushing the presence or bass knob may not do. I think of how distinct each amp reacts and sounds, and can't imagine knowing what is behind all that. I don't have quite the gift, but with Quantum it is definitely MUCH easier. But welcome!! Cliff is needing to say less apparently, but what has changed in Quantum is significant; not just like modifying one aspect of the modeling, hence the whole new 1.0

Last edited:
Quantum only seems a little different to me. Better.....yes, but not the huge change that some are talking about. Maybe it depends a lot on what amp models you use (I'm sure some have changed more than others). I haven't been able to try it out in the wild yet, so that may make a big difference in my opinion. I did notice that it sounds significantly better through headphones, which is real nice.

Either way, I always love new goodies and appreciate all of the hard work and dedication that the entire Fractal team put into their products..........:eagerness:

Been on vacation, reading all about quantum, and itching to try it. I finally loaded it this afternoon, after recording some quick tracks with FW 19 to compare against.

Holy crap balls, this update deserves the name! I hear a clear difference in the recordings, but to a greater extent I _feel_ the difference when I'm playing. Immediate feedback from my fingers, responding to subtle differences in touch. It also seems like the sound is more instant. A few milliseconds shaved off the processing time or something.

Then I tried a patch from scratch. Just a straight amp into cab, and felt like I was truly auditioning a real amp, so to speak. I don't recall that feeling with an Axe before, just liked sitting in a guitar store and trying different models. A world of difference!

Thanks Cliff and team!

so have finally locked up a bit of time on quantum and had the chance to play it for 4 hours at loud levels through a k12 with the band

it sounded really great . I'm not sure if it sounds better than before, it sounded great before . Its does feel a tiny bit different to me. With lower to mid gain it seems to react better.

I was just using presets built on FW19 untouched so gonna build a few from scratch before rehearsal this week

after the first rehearsal with Quantum, I've really felt the difference. Definitely more dynamic, great control over feedback, and the highs are just right now.

I do notice that sometimes, I can't switch on effects from my MFC. Anyone notice that?

Jan

Back
Top Bottom