Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Firmware Release

WOW! The official Quantum release IS better than the beta (and the beta was amazing)! I'm running through a FRFR setup and I can't wipe the sh!t eating grin off my face :D

Either I'm having a total brain fart or I may have found a bug in the standard #39 Preset "The Brown Sound" or the Wah controller. I've got an expression pedal set up to control the Wah and moving the pedal causes the Wah to engage, even when the effect is turned off (in Axe Edit). I haven't tried the Wah in other presets yet.

I did a full Factory Preset restore of all banks and a full reset of all parameters after the firmware update. I also made sure the expression pedal wasn't connected when doing the firmware update. Finally, I also forced Axe Edit to "Refresh after new FW" after the firmware update.

For reference, I have an AxeFX II Original / Mark II (not XL or XL+) and am using a Pigtronix (Mission) expression pedal (20k Ohms impedance).

Thanks in advance....now back to playing :encouragement:

Before updating, i noodled around with one of my favorite presets. after updating, i played the same preset and didnt notice much of a change at all. i'm playing through an atomic clr. do i need to reset anything? i also tried one of my clean presets and didnt notice anything different either. still had the same level of awesomeness.

this was the patch i was using: Axe-Change - Download Preset - MARSHALL JMP-1 - by mayalvr

in the firmware download, i noticed the banks, the quantum_1.syx and one named system any idea what the is? not trying to be a party pooper, but wondering if i'm missing something basic

Ok Cliff, come clean, you got a message from yourself from the future, and he told you your destiny. You are actually developing a key that will eventually unlock the secrets of the universe using the profits of the Axe-FX to advance that research. One day we will all wake up and upload the newest firmware and suddenly we will all become one with everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loving the update - I have definitely noticed a LOT more bass coming through - so much so, that I had to adjust the bass down on many of my presets. Is anyone else having to adjust the bass down? And I'm loving the Brit Silver and VH4 channel 3 Silver. Picked a blank preset spot, picked the amp, made a few 5 second adjustments to gain/volume etc. and they sound amazing ! Soon f'ing cool to have so many now even more killer amps at your fingertips - AND with (what appears to me anyway) much less tweaking.. AWESOME !

I had to turn the bass down or use the bass cut on almost all my presets. I'm thinking of using the global EQ.

Are all you guys using FRFR cabs? I am using 2 1x12 guitar cabs and can not tell the difference between any of the updates? I got the Axe XL when it was firmware 17 and updated it every time a new firmware is released.
Don't get me wrong, I get an awesome sound and get complimented on my tone all the time at gigs. But I have never heard any difference in sound other than the overdrive pedals in Firmware 19 which I felt the Xotic AC sim I use got closer to the real pedal which I was quite excited about.
Is it maybe because I use the 808 overdrive block in front of the amp block rather than just the amp for the overdriven sound?
Maybe I should try the amp without an overdrive block in front, and another amp block for the overdrive solos - would that be a better way?

Do you have amp Sims on?

Something cool I just discovered... Sometimes, I use the volume block to roll back gain, unfortunately, it never really gave me great results when I used that method on a patch with a drive. This was even on Q-beta. It always kinda compressed it to death. Personally, I pretty much only use an 808mod with the drive on 0 when I actually do use a drive, but even then I still had this issue. Well, I was just now playing with a patch that has an 808mod, and couldn't figure out where all my gain had gone, well, after fiddling with everything I discovered that I had bumped my volume pedal way down at some point.

I think Quantum may have broken physics, but in a good way.

Do you have amp Sims on?

Yes I do, but as I said don't get me wrong Im getting a fantastic sound but I can't hear any difference between the updates, I don't play metal though, and most, if not virtually all demos I hear are massively overdrive guitar sounds - is it in those sounds that the main improvements are?. I do like my sound but can't help thinking what am I missing? - should I get an FRFR to take advantage.

Yes I do, but as I said don't get me wrong Im getting a fantastic sound but I can't hear any difference between the updates, I don't play metal though, and most, if not virtually all demos I hear are massively overdrive guitar sounds - is it in those sounds that the main improvements are?. I do like my sound but can't help thinking what am I missing? - should I get an FRFR to take advantage.
To my ears, the difference between Quantum and any previous firmware is immediately noticeable—even more so at low gain. I hear different distortion, different compression, and lots more dynamics. Notes jump at you. Some people hear or feel that as the amp responding "faster." You sure don't need to be playing metal; even totally clean sounds show the difference.

Usually, when people don't hear differences like that, it's because they're playing at very low volume. If you're playing gigs, I'm guessing that's not the case. :)

I hear improvement in every one of my patches, from clean to mean. Most of it is in the way it reacts to my playing. As far as tone improvement, it's all in how you dial it. I like a lot of chime, and clarity in my cleans, it's easier to dial in that chime now, I like my mid gains to have that British mid heavy kick, it's easier to dial that in too, I like my mid high gains to be more of a Brit-on-roids type tone, much easier to get there, and my super high gains, I like that dark with a bit of a fizzy/fuzzy undertone, and again, way easier to get there.

I could get there before, but now it takes MUCH less effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to turn the bass down or use the bass cut on almost all my presets. I'm thinking of using the global EQ.

Weird, I had to do actually the opposite with Quantum and even more so with the official release - I finally could turn the bass up without being boomy and muffled. :) Not on all amps, some still need the bass pretty low, but in general the bass response is much tighter and natural.

Quantum is more realer, because the bass and treble response are unreal now. There is your cat, Shreddinger! :)

It just happened again...
I sit down with the guitar ...and a plan... I'm gonna do this, and play that...
Then I look for an appropriate preset... 3 hours later I've had nothing but fun with tone, and my original plan is just a memory.

Fractal thanks so much.
Pauly

I'm on the road till Sun. and can't wait to try the official release! I did add a lot of low end to my presets for Q1b as it sounded great but will probably have to dial it back for the Q1. That's OK as the bass levels will now be in a position I would have them on the real amps.

Might be a stupid question, and might already have beenasked, but where are the 20 new cabs and what are they called -sorry, I might even be looking at them and not knowing)

F... me!!

With all the previous firmware updates, I was really trying hard to understand and hear those "quantum" leaps that all you pros were raving about from firmware to firmware. With this, I am completely blown away. Just spent half an hour with a Gibson Junior Special with P90s and the Plexi Normal - wow, just wow!

Also, the way AxeEdit is now organized, is so much more intuitive - finally, all those extra knobs and switches start to make sense to me in the practical application for sound shaping.

Thank you Cliff and Fractal Audio!!

i'm not sure what to say. i'll start by saying THANK YOU to cliff and the team! i thought 19 was really great, but this firmware is just so amazing. played until my arms hurt yesterday. on an added note, i had a guy coming over to check out the axe-fx yesterday. he's an amp and pedal guy, with deep knowledge of gear and playing (incredible player actually). i loaded quantum before he came over, and he was floored. he plugged a tele into it and played for hours. fenders, marshalls, vox, friedman, carol ann, two-stone, etc. said he's gonna pick one up. i think i've sold 4-5 of these, haha! again, many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom