Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Firmware Release

.....=12AX7A (default), ECC83 and 7025....

I guess I will learn something...
I THOUGHT:
What is the difference between a 12AX7 and a 12AX7A?
The "A" means "low noise"?

What is the difference between a 12AX7 and 7025?
I thought this was a military grade number inferring tighter tolerances?

I kinda thought then a 12ax7a was pretty much a 7025...

Anyone know about this?...and why preamp tubes are labeled as such?

Are all you guys using FRFR cabs? I am using 2 1x12 guitar cabs and can not tell the difference between any of the updates? I got the Axe XL when it was firmware 17 and updated it every time a new firmware is released.
Don't get me wrong, I get an awesome sound and get complimented on my tone all the time at gigs. But I have never heard any difference in sound other than the overdrive pedals in Firmware 19 which I felt the Xotic AC sim I use got closer to the real pedal which I was quite excited about.
Is it maybe because I use the 808 overdrive block in front of the amp block rather than just the amp for the overdriven sound?
Maybe I should try the amp without an overdrive block in front, and another amp block for the overdrive solos - would that be a better way?

Had a " Fractal Bot not working " error message PC Win 10 ? huh - downloaded latest Bot from site worked fine . Quantum sounds and feels great . Thank you Cliff and everyone at FAS. Tried the factory Herbie 2 preset, Dayum sounds amazing dont know what the "Diezel secret " is and I dont want to know cause if he told me he'd have to kill me and being dead I wouldn't have any fun playing Guitar.

Are all you guys using FRFR cabs? I am using 2 1x12 guitar cabs and can not tell the difference between any of the updates? I got the Axe XL when it was firmware 17 and updated it every time a new firmware is released.
Don't get me wrong, I get an awesome sound and get complimented on my tone all the time at gigs. But I have never heard any difference in sound other than the overdrive pedals in Firmware 19 which I felt the Xotic AC sim I use got closer to the real pedal which I was quite excited about.
Is it maybe because I use the 808 overdrive block in front of the amp block rather than just the amp for the overdriven sound?
Maybe I should try the amp without an overdrive block in front, and another amp block for the overdrive solos - would that be a better way?

Hello,

I hear what you say. I've been with the axe since fw16. I did not always hear the differences either. For me, quantum is really different and you might be right about the g3d drives as well. I did change a budget frfr for a matrix in between. I think much depends on previous experience with real tube amps, setup, personal preference, it can be the tone or the feel or both. So many factors involved. Well why bother we have awesome tones. :ugeek

Definitely try just an amp block and see how you like it. I noticed a very big improvement with my power amp cab sound. Much much more pleasing to me. I never quite was enjoying the power amp cab tone before Quantum.

Hello,

I hear what you say. I've been with the axe since fw16. I did not always hear the differences either. For me, quantum is really different and you might be right about the g3d drives as well. I did change a budget frfr for a matrix in between. I think much depends on previous experience with real tube amps, setup, personal preference, it can be the tone or the feel or both. So many factors involved. Well why bother we have awesome tones. :ugeek

You are right there my friend, it's just when I read the replys I always wonder what I'm missing.....

When I see shots of peoples presets like this it absolutely amazes me at how someone can come to a conclusion on a routing job such as this. I would love to see a video of you walking us all through what everything does in your preset. I see 4 volume controls and the amp sitting at the almost front of your chain. Also, how did you manage to squeeze all that in and only hit 92% cpu usage?

If you like that you should see his MFC-101 configuration. *LOL*

If I told you then it wouldn't be a secret, now would it? ;)

Hi cliff,

I´ve tried them. Not shure if i liked them more with the Quantum Beta. The Blueface is more open now, like the Silverface.

But the Beta-Amps had more this "Rooaar" Sound like the real Amp, when picked them hard. Hmm........

Herbert has a very high lowcut in the Preampsection. like the Tucano 3 or Savage? But it sounds good!

A Little bit confused about the Saturation Switch - switching from off to ideal makes the Amp much more louder - about 8-10dB? A bug maybe?

And i can´t Change Power Amp Hardness? It´s always at 4? Edit - I have to spin the knob.......The new Edit is quite different........

Last edited:
Q1b has allowed me to remove quite a lot of EQ processing to get the sound I want. Now Q1.00 has allowed me to remove even more. There is no longer the need to cut out all the sub bass or the harsh fizz or sculpt the mids with graphic EQ blocks. Overly fizzy, one dimensional distortion and stiff feeling 'not joined together' amps were my biggest criticisms of g2 and now not a problem with g3/Quantum.

Before Quantum, the distortion characteristics seemed to all be in one fizzy/roary lump. The harmonic balance of the distortion seems much more balanced now.

Each component part of the distortion characteristic (grunt/bark/roar/fizz) seem to act independently of each other throughout a sustained chord, giving a highly detailed multi-layered quality to the overdrive. This is the case across the board, but its particularly noticable in cascading gain stage amplifiers. This happened with cliff's new tube modelling algorithm.

Secondly, each gain stage seems more 'joined together' and the resultant nature of the compression seems much more realistic and forgiving. Things like pinch harmonics are much easier to achieve. Fundamentally I suspect that the way in which each circuit reacts with each previous and subsequent circuit within the amp has fundamentally changed. I feel each gain stage and the power supply/tranformer react when I overload the input of an amp like I never did with g2.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Exactly what I was noticing!

I strongly urge any FRFR users if they have a cab and power amp around to put quantum to use through it. I notice the improvements through my studio monitors very well but I noticed a huge difference through the power amp cab. Do it just for fun, its like swapping out heads right on top of your cab.

I wholeheartedly agree!! That is where I noticed the most difference, with the FRFR.

The beta was awesome, but this release sounds slightly better to my ears.

The new Axe Edit is really well done, the arrangement of controls is much more logical IMO.

I swear, every time I am GASing for a new amp (the new Yamaha THR100 sounds incredible and I have been thinking of what I could sell to fund it), I plug into the Axe FX and think 'why would I ever play through anything else?'.

Cheers, Cliff.

Hi cliff,

I´ve tried them. Not shure if i liked them more with the Quantum Beta. The Blueface is more open now, like the Silverface.

But the Beta-Amps had more this "Rooaar" Sound like the real Amp, when picked them hard. Hmm........

Herbert has a very high lowcut in the Preampsection. like the Tucano 3 or Savage? But it sounds good!

A Little bit confused about the Saturation Switch - switching from off to ideal makes the Amp much more louder - about 8-10dB? A bug maybe?

And i can´t Change Power Amp Hardness? It´s always at 4? Edit - I have to spin the knob.......The new Edit is quite different........

Sat switch operation is normal. That's why there's an "Ideal" vs "Authentic" setting. The "authentic" typical saturation circuit does involve a DB reduction.

I think I am going to start all my patches over again from scratch after this update and I get the Friedman ASM cabinet...I need a Axefx reboot....

Oh, this was not posted because the Matrix, just because the funny Melt faces :) My GO TO Preset works in conjunction with the MFC and target is, to get everything i´ll need for a gig in one preset. My go to preset looks likes that:

public.php

And for sure, its close to the edge of starting crackles, but just close.... Yek did something similiar and made a great video of his "All in all" preset with his foot controller. If i find time, i`ll try to do a similiar video, also if my english is by far bad ... but hopefully i can transfer the "why`s and what`s"...

But now: Let`s celebrate QUANTUM! I played it today and i like it much! Kudos to Cliff and Team!

Much, much simpler than the other one. Maybe to a quantum physicist.

(Er, escuse me fer trying to get freebie advice, but why does that first one have the comp block after those other fx, and what filter settings do you use, and, and and etc. [If you insist on making a video on YouTube, no one better complain about your enunciation and word choices ]) Lol, I'm mooching.

Last edited:
Sat switch operation is normal. That's why there's an "Ideal" vs "Authentic" setting. The "authentic" typical saturation circuit does involve a DB reduction.

It used to not work this way..
I need gain..not volum ;)

"Ideal" should just add juice. "Authentic" should drop in volum

Hi cliff,

I did experience unexpected volume difference switching between Ideal and Authentic on the Sat switch, on a different model than Herbie ... That was the only oddity I noticed while trying to create presets, but I think I only did it once. It was more extreme than I would have expected. Is Ideal really supposed to be, like, twice as loud?

Back
Top Bottom