Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Firmware Release

Just like the release notes say. Most important change I believe is the dephasing and character control settings. Had the axe for 3 years now. Biggest difference compared to real amps is the way a real amp reacts to the way a guitarist plays. Digital amps are very linear and tube amps change tone based on how fast or how hard u play. Switching to dynamic in the characer model is huge. Making a subtle boost in the 2-4k range literally made my amp Sim react exactly like my old 5150 head. It starting to sound a little more treble the faster I picked the strings. But ONLY when I strummed hard or fast. This is the realism quantum is really setting a new bar. The dephasing is cool too. It adds a little more real ambience to ur tone. Digital can make ur tone a little too perfect? These parameters put life in ur Sims like no other.

By adding the 2-4k boost in the character section it was like automatic mixing while recording. Fast strumming or pick attack puts ur riff in the mix a little higher. Reals amps do this and this is probably the 3d feel people are saying quantum has done. Hell of alot easier to mix recordings now!

Last edited:
Just like the release notes say. Most important change I believe is the dephasing and character control settings. Had the axe for 3 years now. Biggest difference compared to real amps is the way a real amp reacts to the way a guitarist plays. Digital amps are very linear and tube amps change tone based on how fast or how hard u play. Switching to dynamic in the characer model is huge. Making a subtle boost in the 2-4k range literally made my amp Sim react exactly like my old 5150 head. It starting to sound a little more treble the faster I picked the strings. But ONLY when I strummed hard or fast. This is the realism quantum is really setting a new bar. The dephasing is cool too. It adds a little more real ambience to ur tone. Digital can make ur tone a little too perfect? These parameters put life in ur Sims like no other.

By adding the 2-4k boost in the character section it was like automatic mixing while recording. Fast strumming or pick attack puts ur riff in the mix a little higher. Reals amps do this and this is probably the 3d feel people are saying quantum has done. Hell of alot easier to mix recordings now!

Are you just switching it from Peaking to Dynamic or have you changed other values as well? If so, can you snapshot the screen so we can see those other varied settings? Thanks!

I stopped reading this thread a couple days ago.. so Im about 10 pages short of caught up.
has anyone had an issue with the clipping light showing clipping when the VU meters are sometimes not even hitting +1?

I stopped reading this thread a couple days ago.. so Im about 10 pages short of caught up.
has anyone had an issue with the clipping light showing clipping when the VU meters are sometimes not even hitting +1?

i think that has happened since the horizontal VU was added and not new to quantum. the horizontal VU seems to be an average meter, so it might not show peaks which make the unit clip. if you go back to the vertical VU which seems to be actual level, it should show that you're clipping.

Just got around to installing Quantum, coming from 18.11. Had to redo my drive block in all my presets (I use the Blues OD in front of the DoubleVerb), but as soon as I figured out how to get back into the same ballpark as before, it was an absolute joy. Y'know, for those scenes using that drive block; the ones without it, particularly the high-gain stuff, already felt more 'direct' while playing, for lack of a better description.

Or maybe it's all in my head. Final test will be with my bandmates next weekend, who I will not be informing of this update. ;)

In any case, thanks FAS! ...FAnkS!

Help: favorite amp tone lost in translation

I just went from v12 to Q1 (big leap!). As far as I can tell many of the amps are improved and now sound truly amp like.

I use mostly clean tones with my favorite being a low-gain Hipower Brilliant (mostly for Rush/Floyd stuff) using the 4x12 Hi-Power (RW) IR. However, with this release I can't seem to replicate the fullness/chimeyness I had dialed in in v12. I may have tracked it down that there is no more "Modeling Mode" in Q1. I had it set on Smooth which in v12 "Sets Triode Hardness to the minimum value essentially creating an ideal preamp and turns off grid conduction modeling in the power amp." In Q1 there's a Preamp Hardness setting that appears to be the same as Triode Hardness, but there is nothing about grid conduction modeling (maybe in Q1 the RTS this isn't possible?).

Any ideas how to replicate Smooth Modeling Mode in Quantum?

i think that has happened since the horizontal VU was added and not new to quantum. the horizontal VU seems to be an average meter, so it might not show peaks which make the unit clip. if you go back to the vertical VU which seems to be actual level, it should show that you're clipping.

Yea I actually always used the horizontal VU to set my patches, not the vertical one. Just easier to read, but I'll check it out and see if it appears closer to clipping

the Horizontal ones were designed specifically for leveling your presets. the Vertical ones were there since day one and are meant as Status meters.

Still would love to hear more about this function. See my post above for the quote I was originally referencing.

I switch it to dynamic. Then I chose the frequency to be in the 3 or 4k range. Then a 3 or 4 q and 2 or 3 boost. Basically I'm telling my axe that when I start strumming and riffing hard my tone will get a trebly bite.

I just changed the dynamics settings to taste.It sounds great.

I dont need to mess with the EQ as portrayed in your screen capture, but thanks for posting it! ;)

Do u mean the eq blocks? Or the freq I chose on the dynamic section of the amp? I'm mostly gonna move it into the 3k range. I'm messing around trying to see what cuts through best wen I strum fast. I'm about to track guitars for my EP so I'll post a clip of it in a few weeks

Do u mean the eq blocks? Or the freq I chose on the dynamic section of the amp? I'm mostly gonna move it into the 3k range. I'm messing around trying to see what cuts through best wen I strum fast. I'm about to track guitars for my EP so I'll post a clip of it in a few weeks

Correct, I am not using EQ blocks.Just altering dynamic settings of the amp.

Back
Top Bottom