Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Firmware Release

after the first rehearsal with Quantum, I've really felt the difference. Definitely more dynamic, great control over feedback, and the highs are just right now.

I do notice that sometimes, I can't switch on effects from my MFC. Anyone notice that?

Jan

Yes. Intermittently.

after the first rehearsal with Quantum, I've really felt the difference. Definitely more dynamic, great control over feedback, and the highs are just right now.

I do notice that sometimes, I can't switch on effects from my MFC. Anyone notice that?

Jan

Yep, I had an issue yesterday of my Volume and Wah controllers not working. Tried everything I could think of.....unplugged/replugged the midi cable from the Axe unit, unplugged/replugged the trs cables going to the controllers.....none of which seemed to work. I powered off my Axe when the set was over and powered it back on.....started working again like a charm. That was a first for me with that happening. I've had issues with my MFC freezing up before in the past and had to jiggle my midi cable to get it to work, but never had controllers just stop working.

Scrolling thru this conversation a little, I'd love to find out a bit more about what quantum does and how it actually improves things. The summary I get is it seems to improve dynamics to the point where people who usually use (insert nice amp name here) feel that they use the same settings as they would on a real amp. So it would be nice for a bit of a technical explanation about what's really going on under the hood.

I think that's a pretty good question. The only ones that may be able to answer would be Cliff or maybe one of the beta tester guys.

As for the "same settings as a real amp" nah, I don't think anyone really expects that nor would they hold it against Cliff for not being exact. I personally think some of our amps sound better than the originals....and I mean that sincerely. Others seem to sound weird to me...but again, there are several things that need to be factored in. I only use about 4 different cab models. So some amps are going to suffer for me...and rightfully so if the cab is not the right fit. You have to try anything and everything really. At the end of the day, I'm happy to have my Axe over the Kemper. I've had a few K's in my studio....and though they were definitely cool....I'm happy with what I have.

On a side note, there seems to be much talk of placebos and adjusting settings after an update. It would seem pretty straightforward to record a song into your PC before you do the update, afterwards pre-tweak and also post tweak to see what has changed.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy rik. So many things change sometimes, you don't know where to start....new options added....the list goes on and on. For example, I've not updated my XL+ since 18.4. That FW just worked for me and gave me what I needed. If I would have done what you said and recorded a song into my pc, and then even took screen shots of every menu (which I have done many times lol) in my AxeFx amp block, I would STILL fail trying to get my old sound with the new FW nor would I know what actually changed or why.

When you add things, change things, re-calibrate things....you get a brand new unit on some of these updates. In my case, I got 3 updates worth of brand new units in one and everything from my effects to my amp blocks and even cab options have changed. Even though I've mentioned a few things there....if you were to get Cliff to explain it, those little things I just mentioned probably turn into 600 changes per option internally.

Funny story real fast....when I was developing VST plugins for a company, we came up with this one build that was absolute sickness....in a good way. To me it was one of the best VST plugs we ever did out of the 1000 different builds lol. Anyway....this one took 11 seconds before it loaded up into your DAW. That's definitely a bummer and not good at all. If you had two instances of the plug, that was 22 seconds before you'd see them. 3 instances....add another 11 seconds and so on. That said, the sound was incredible but we were trying something different to get it to sound like that and the downside was the load time for where we were at THAT time in the software world.

That "different" had all the right stuff. We just had to find a way to make it load faster...which we did in fact figure out. But my reason for saying this....I happened to ask the owner why this happens and he said "picture an amp builder literally creating the plug from scratch when you initiate an instance....there are 400+ things happening as that plug loads."

Unacceptable to the buying public if you were to tell them that....they just want the thing to load fast and work right. LOL! But in that same situation, we probably have a lot of that going on with our Axe FX....but we have all the right stuff to do those 400+ changes in an instant. Add in new FW with a bunch of new options and changes and man....I can't even fathom how many things may be going on. So you never really know what has changed or how it has changed your particular sound. Like I say though, maybe Cliff can sum it up in a few sentences or so....but I'm not so sure.

I can say how it changed my situation. It changed everything for me....in a good way. More warmth and tube sound...less transistor/synthetic bite, tone stack seems to fit the amps better, pinch harmonics sound more like the pinch harms you get out of a tube amp instead of how they sound when you do them using a transistor sound. This is super important to me because I absolutely hate the sound of synthetic pinch harms. Think Eddie Van Halen....when he pinch harms, they scream in a way that hit you in the throat.

The sustain is really there now. We always had loads of drive in the axe, but I've always felt that in certain situations, the notes would die out where this never happened using my tube pre-amps or my regular amps. I've tried everything in the Axe and just chalked it up as one of those things I would have to try and compensate for....which I have. With this FW, I'm not getting that "die out" like I used to and am not using as much gain. I used to compensate using a little more gain or I jacked up my compressor output to push things a little more on my lead sound. All that is different and for the better now.

There's a certain (and this one I really can't even explain right to you) feel or the way an amp reacts. We are getting that same reaction now. We've always been close in my opinion, but this is so close to me, I don't think about it anymore. What all this means technically compared to my old sounds? I really don't care lol....I'm just happy it is the way it is. I'm not even going to question it.....in the time it has taken me to even give you my personal guess and experience, I could have had another one of my tones tweaked for Quantum. Hahahahaha! None of the AxeFx firmware builds were bad. The thing sounded great when I got it 2-3 years ago. But this one definitely is a game changer for the better. :) Just be happy you were born into it....you can create for the first time and be blown away. Enjoy!

-Danny

Ok, I hear a definitive improvement on some of the amps.
Amps I liked a lot before, like the Angel Severe or Friedman HBE, have not improved that much in my opinion - simply because they were already oh so good on FW19!!!
But I never liked, for example, the Vox models. Never used the Class A 30W or similar amps. Now I tried them again and find them in a totally different league. I noodled around a bit with the Class A 30W, inserted a reverb and a Dimension 2 chorus, here is a short clip:

https://soundcloud.com/parlopower/quantum-trial

Sorry for the sloppy playing... but I really dig the sound. Played on my PRS Mike Mushok Baritone, PU switch on both engaged (neck: DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell, bridge: Bareknuckle Painkiller). Recorded straight into Cubase, no post processing.

Danny, thanks for taking the time to consider my musings and reply. I work in embedded firmware too (different stuff, utility scale solar power) so I can appreciate the parametric permutations perspective. The only basis behind my suggestion really was the suspicion that for most folks, it can surely only be a handful of sounds that they need perfecting in order to "survive" an update (perhaps even where the whole sound of a multi-platinum is defined by one preset). I certainly know that I will not have hit on 0.1% of the capabilities, after many years of tweakings anyway! And yes, there will always be the impatient...

Danny, thanks for taking the time to consider my musings and reply. I work in embedded firmware too (different stuff, utility scale solar power) so I can appreciate the parametric permutations perspective. The only basis behind my suggestion really was the suspicion that for most folks, it can surely only be a handful of sounds that they need perfecting in order to "survive" an update (perhaps even where the whole sound of a multi-platinum is defined by one preset). I certainly know that I will not have hit on 0.1% of the capabilities, after many years of tweakings anyway! And yes, there will always be the impatient...

Not a problem....hope I didn't bore the crap out of you. LOL! I just love the conversation about this piece as well as meeting new forum guys/players.

Unfortunately, I seem to always be one of those guys that has a lot to do in a major update like this. LOL! I sometimes think things are playing tricks on me...so I DO as you mentioned and record everything. There's just something about tone in my ears, that I just can hear in my own world. Even if Cliff were to tell me "this has not changed" I'd still be able to tell something if there was something. I have freak of nature ears....I really do. My tone isn't even all that good compared to others.....but it works for me and I just know when something has changed or it isn't right. Quick example...

There was a FW update a few months back where Cliff had mentioned "if you do this and this, you will have what you had in the last FW". I'd never argue with the dude...he made the thing, he knows better than I do. However, no matter what I tried, there was something in that particular FW that changed to my ears. When I was able to tell blindly on a recording having someone else push the play button with my back turned with two files of the old FW and one with the new playing the same piece, I knew I had to be right in some way even if data wise or numerically it was impossible. Something was different and it just sounded more synthetic to me. Even if I'm totally wrong, to my ears....I wasn't satisfied and liking my tone unless I reverted to that older FW.

My Van Halen tone took a major hit on this release as well. I've not fixed that one yet, but my main tones are sounding so good....I literally took the night off from work just so I could play and record the new tones. I'm the happiest I've ever been! I need to update my live tones next...which should be a piece of cake now that I know how to get what I'm after. All in all it took me about 2 hours to experiment and get what I needed. But the difference for the better is at least 50%...which is huge. Most times when I try to fix a sound after an update I either stay close to the same or actually lose a little something.

Heck man, my fave FW were 15 and 16. I only updated because of the additional options and fixes the later ones gave me...but I always felt my tone was never quite the same. In some areas it got better but in other areas something was missing. Sort of like when I played through a 2101. I liked the tone but there was always something missing that I could never add in....but it was the best tone I ever came up with for myself so I stuck with it. Same with me using older FW. When I get something right, I try to stick with it unless something mind-blowing makes me want to update. LOL!

Nah you'll find that you will master this thing if you open yourself to it. It will happen on its own really. That said I've had mine a few years and I've not scratched the surface....but only because my time isn't what it once was and thankfully, I learned enough about the unit to create the tones I needed. One day my main rig went down, I bought the Fractal and had 1 week to create my own personal tones and create my entire Van Halen tone library. (I play in a VH tribute band that sort of puts its own spin on VH)

So that was a nightmare to have to learn the unit and come up with tones that fast. But I managed to pull it off and things worked out really well. I'm still tweaking it from time to time, but really feel confident about this release because it has all the right stuff for me. I'm sitting here playing between sentences just smiling like my chick is under my console doing a little playing of her own. LOL! :)

Good luck with your Axe brother, and welcome to the family. If you have any questions, the guys on this forum are mutants in the way they help. You'll just about always have an answer in minutes instead of hours. This is one of the best forum communities I've ever been a part of. Tough when it needs to be, affectionate and super helpful all other times.

-Danny

New here and just registered to comment on this FW. I bought my XL + with 18 and dialed some tones in. After the 19 update, I didn't care for the patches as much and really didn't spend any time with it. I picked up a few Two Rock amps and have been playing amps again for the last month or so without even turning the Axe on (not that 19 was bad by any means, but it didn't pull me away from my amp's clean tones). After installing this update yesterday, I spent a couple of hours with it and definitely felt it's completely been overhauled in a good way. I only used to use a few of the cabs whereas now I am happy with most of them. And the dynamics of the amp models have been greatly improved. So much that I think they're starting to get into the musical territory of the Two Rocks I own. The Atonic CLRs sounded a little boomy w/ FW 19, and that's been cleared up. I thoroughly enjoyed playing Quantum in stereo through the CLRs last night. Fantastic job and hats off to the Fractal team on this one. Can't wait to get home and play again!

I own two Axe-Fx XL which I hold in-sync in terms of firmware and presets. I had quantum 1.0 in my rig at home for a week and did minor corrections to the presets, but listened to it only across the headphones. Yesterday I loaded the new firmware and my presets into my Axe-Fx at the rehearsal room and had a very nice session with the band. The qualities of this release really show up if played through a power amp and speakers. Nice pinch-harmonics and 'flowing' sustain, much easier to play than before. And of course a great enhancement in dynamics. Great !!

I think that's a pretty good question. The only ones that may be able to answer would be Cliff or maybe one of the beta tester guys.

As for the "same settings as a real amp" nah, I don't think anyone really expects that nor would they hold it against Cliff for not being exact. I personally think some of our amps sound better than the originals....and I mean that sincerely. Others seem to sound weird to me...but again, there are several things that need to be factored in. I only use about 4 different cab models. So some amps are going to suffer for me...and rightfully so if the cab is not the right fit. You have to try anything and everything really. At the end of the day, I'm happy to have my Axe over the Kemper. I've had a few K's in my studio....and though they were definitely cool....I'm happy with what I have.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy rik. So many things change sometimes, you don't know where to start....new options added....the list goes on and on. For example, I've not updated my XL+ since 18.4. That FW just worked for me and gave me what I needed. If I would have done what you said and recorded a song into my pc, and then even took screen shots of every menu (which I have done many times lol) in my AxeFx amp block, I would STILL fail trying to get my old sound with the new FW nor would I know what actually changed or why.

When you add things, change things, re-calibrate things....you get a brand new unit on some of these updates. In my case, I got 3 updates worth of brand new units in one and everything from my effects to my amp blocks and even cab options have changed. Even though I've mentioned a few things there....if you were to get Cliff to explain it, those little things I just mentioned probably turn into 600 changes per option internally.

Funny story real fast....when I was developing VST plugins for a company, we came up with this one build that was absolute sickness....in a good way. To me it was one of the best VST plugs we ever did out of the 1000 different builds lol. Anyway....this one took 11 seconds before it loaded up into your DAW. That's definitely a bummer and not good at all. If you had two instances of the plug, that was 22 seconds before you'd see them. 3 instances....add another 11 seconds and so on. That said, the sound was incredible but we were trying something different to get it to sound like that and the downside was the load time for where we were at THAT time in the software world.

That "different" had all the right stuff. We just had to find a way to make it load faster...which we did in fact figure out. But my reason for saying this....I happened to ask the owner why this happens and he said "picture an amp builder literally creating the plug from scratch when you initiate an instance....there are 400+ things happening as that plug loads."

Unacceptable to the buying public if you were to tell them that....they just want the thing to load fast and work right. LOL! But in that same situation, we probably have a lot of that going on with our Axe FX....but we have all the right stuff to do those 400+ changes in an instant. Add in new FW with a bunch of new options and changes and man....I can't even fathom how many things may be going on. So you never really know what has changed or how it has changed your particular sound. Like I say though, maybe Cliff can sum it up in a few sentences or so....but I'm not so sure.

I can say how it changed my situation. It changed everything for me....in a good way. More warmth and tube sound...less transistor/synthetic bite, tone stack seems to fit the amps better, pinch harmonics sound more like the pinch harms you get out of a tube amp instead of how they sound when you do them using a transistor sound. This is super important to me because I absolutely hate the sound of synthetic pinch harms. Think Eddie Van Halen....when he pinch harms, they scream in a way that hit you in the throat.

The sustain is really there now. We always had loads of drive in the axe, but I've always felt that in certain situations, the notes would die out where this never happened using my tube pre-amps or my regular amps. I've tried everything in the Axe and just chalked it up as one of those things I would have to try and compensate for....which I have. With this FW, I'm not getting that "die out" like I used to and am not using as much gain. I used to compensate using a little more gain or I jacked up my compressor output to push things a little more on my lead sound. All that is different and for the better now.

There's a certain (and this one I really can't even explain right to you) feel or the way an amp reacts. We are getting that same reaction now. We've always been close in my opinion, but this is so close to me, I don't think about it anymore. What all this means technically compared to my old sounds? I really don't care lol....I'm just happy it is the way it is. I'm not even going to question it.....in the time it has taken me to even give you my personal guess and experience, I could have had another one of my tones tweaked for Quantum. Hahahahaha! None of the AxeFx firmware builds were bad. The thing sounded great when I got it 2-3 years ago. But this one definitely is a game changer for the better. :) Just be happy you were born into it....you can create for the first time and be blown away. Enjoy!

-Danny

Hey Danny!

I benefited from many of your well articulated and enlightening posts on recordingreview.com over the years. I remember the VST you were worked on back in the day;)

I'm fairly new to the FAS world but loving it. I skipped FW 19 mostly because im still thrilled about the tones in 18.. but I am going to jump to Q as soon as im done with current song.

Cheers

Not a problem....hope I didn't bore the crap out of you. LOL! I just love the conversation about this piece as well as meeting new forum guys/players.

Unfortunately, I seem to always be one of those guys that has a lot to do in a major update like this. LOL! I sometimes think things are playing tricks on me...so I DO as you mentioned and record everything. There's just something about tone in my ears, that I just can hear in my own world. Even if Cliff were to tell me "this has not changed" I'd still be able to tell something if there was something. I have freak of nature ears....I really do. My tone isn't even all that good compared to others.....but it works for me and I just know when something has changed or it isn't right. Quick example...

There was a FW update a few months back where Cliff had mentioned "if you do this and this, you will have what you had in the last FW". I'd never argue with the dude...he made the thing, he knows better than I do. However, no matter what I tried, there was something in that particular FW that changed to my ears. When I was able to tell blindly on a recording having someone else push the play button with my back turned with two files of the old FW and one with the new playing the same piece, I knew I had to be right in some way even if data wise or numerically it was impossible. Something was different and it just sounded more synthetic to me. Even if I'm totally wrong, to my ears....I wasn't satisfied and liking my tone unless I reverted to that older FW.

My Van Halen tone took a major hit on this release as well. I've not fixed that one yet, but my main tones are sounding so good....I literally took the night off from work just so I could play and record the new tones. I'm the happiest I've ever been! I need to update my live tones next...which should be a piece of cake now that I know how to get what I'm after. All in all it took me about 2 hours to experiment and get what I needed. But the difference for the better is at least 50%...which is huge. Most times when I try to fix a sound after an update I either stay close to the same or actually lose a little something.

Heck man, my fave FW were 15 and 16. I only updated because of the additional options and fixes the later ones gave me...but I always felt my tone was never quite the same. In some areas it got better but in other areas something was missing. Sort of like when I played through a 2101. I liked the tone but there was always something missing that I could never add in....but it was the best tone I ever came up with for myself so I stuck with it. Same with me using older FW. When I get something right, I try to stick with it unless something mind-blowing makes me want to update. LOL!

Nah you'll find that you will master this thing if you open yourself to it. It will happen on its own really. That said I've had mine a few years and I've not scratched the surface....but only because my time isn't what it once was and thankfully, I learned enough about the unit to create the tones I needed. One day my main rig went down, I bought the Fractal and had 1 week to create my own personal tones and create my entire Van Halen tone library. (I play in a VH tribute band that sort of puts its own spin on VH)

So that was a nightmare to have to learn the unit and come up with tones that fast. But I managed to pull it off and things worked out really well. I'm still tweaking it from time to time, but really feel confident about this release because it has all the right stuff for me. I'm sitting here playing between sentences just smiling like my chick is under my console doing a little playing of her own. LOL! :)

Good luck with your Axe brother, and welcome to the family. If you have any questions, the guys on this forum are mutants in the way they help. You'll just about always have an answer in minutes instead of hours. This is one of the best forum communities I've ever been a part of. Tough when it needs to be, affectionate and super helpful all other times.

-Danny

Really nice explanation. I am sure that I would have been willing to wait 11 seconds for your VST to load by the way. Its the O/S's like windows I would not be willing to wait for, except that they each seem to own a significant part of my soul. Hell, I consider us lucky a small company like Fractal exists, or those mammoth software companies would get the rights to Eddie's pinch harmonics too.

Quantum does sound more natural when it sustains. I've got this jump '59 preset now, dimed, (presence and bright at noon) with an infinite ratio compressor going into it. Played into via neck pickup - Talk about a clean picking technique practice preset! Every correctly isolated sweep or cleanly picked note really rewards you. Such a beautiful pop! There is no bad noise at all. Its entirely pleasant and sing-y.

Hey Danny!

I benefited from many of your well articulated and enlightening posts on recordingreview.com over the years. I remember the VST you were worked on back in the day;)

I'm fairly new to the FAS world but loving it. I skipped FW 19 mostly because im still thrilled about the tones in 18.. but I am going to jump to Q as soon as im done with current song.

Cheers

Hey man!! Didn't know you had an Axe too...awesome! Thanks for the kind words...glad my posts were helpful to you. :) Yeah that VST was a bear...I still use it but prefer a few of our beta's opposed to the final release. It's the best sounding plug I ever used to be honest....and I'm not saying that because I had anything to do with it.

Yeah you're like me...when something works, you stick with it. I'm loving the heck out of Quantum. I just about have everything the way I want it. It took a little tweaking but only with the new options. I didn't have to totally recreate my tones. This is definitely a little warmer so you may end up adding a little treble or removing a little drive. I had rehearsal last night and the guys were like "dude, what did you do to you tone.....it's different...more snarl and body!" I didn't even say anything to them....I was glad they noticed.

The only tone I'm not happy with is my Eddie Van Halen tone. I have a really nice one on my Axe MkII using FW 17.4 that I'm afraid to touch until I can dial something in on my XL+. Eventually I want to use the XL+ live and retire my MkII to the studio...but right now, it's the other way around. You know how it goes when you have your tones tweaked for live shows....the last thing I want to do is mess with stuff at a venue....unless I can get there early enough to really mess around. That's nearly impossible with my schedule these days. LOL!

Yeah 18 was good enough for me on my XL+ and 19 just didn't sound right. Just back up your sounds and system stuff and you'll be fine....then update to Quantum. It's pretty sick....I honestly can't tell I'm not using at least a 12AX7 tube. It's that good to me! Glad you're enjoying it so far man....keep in touch! :)

Really nice explanation. I am sure that I would have been willing to wait 11 seconds for your VST to load by the way. Its the O/S's like windows I would not be willing to wait for, except that they each seem to own a significant part of my soul. Hell, I consider us lucky a small company like Fractal exists, or those mammoth software companies would get the rights to Eddie's pinch harmonics too.

Thanks! Yeah, I didn't mind the 11 seconds....but if you used multiple instances....it got to be a nightmare waiting for your DAW to open up and load all the instances. Worth the wait for one of two instances....4 instances plus a dual lead and you were going out to have a smoke or fixing a coffee. LOL!! Great sounding plug though.

Yeah, you're right about Windows. I'm sweating the update to Win 10 right now because I know I'm going to have to invest in hardware and software. That's where I wish they would be a little easier on us. I have an awesome old soundcard that I use for clients that send me higher sample rate projects. No Win 10 drivers for it so I'll have to buy a new interface...new programs because my good old one won't work. So I'm either stuck on Win 7 until I am totally forced to update or I just keep my old Win 7 pc's and buy a Win 10 box with some current stuff. It sucks no matter how you look at it...and you're right, we are lucky to have Fractal. Hey be careful with that Eddie pinch harm thing...we got tone matching.....they may want a piece of that! LOL! :)

Quantum does sound more natural when it sustains. I've got this jump '59 preset now, dimed, (presence and bright at noon) with an infinite ratio compressor going into it. Played into via neck pickup - Talk about a clean picking technique practice preset! Every correctly isolated sweep or cleanly picked note really rewards you. Such a beautiful pop! There is no bad noise at all. Its entirely pleasant and sing-y.

With you 1000% there. The more I play on it, the more I smile and hope Cliff leaves it alone and works on other aspects of the unit! LOL! Wouldn't mind a better unintelligent pitch engine that sounds a bit more natural or even faster patch switching with better morphing capabilities. That's one thing that stupid 2101 I used to use had down that I miss so bad.

Speaking of bad noise....I seem to be getting something that I can't put my finger on that isn't related to Quantum. A whistle of sorts. My MkII doesn't do it using the same sounds...but my XL+ does. I can't find anything that would make it whistle like it does. New XLR cables, new cable from guitar to XL+, tried different guitars. Something is funny somewhere. I'm beginning to think it may be something wrong to where the unit has to be returned.

I don't even have to be loud....I can play through headphones and it will do it. I posted about it in another thread when I got it but chalked it up as my patches coming from my MkII into my XL+ as being the problem. But now that I have that sorted, I believe there is definitely something weird. It almost sounds like the feedback you'd get from a microphonic tube. I guess Cliff really did make this thing authentic! LOL! :)

-Danny

Danny, that is odd about the whistling. Do you run a lot of FX sends? As I recall I've had weird things happen between firmwares that effect settings in those blocks - the one I am pretty certain of was the volume being reduced to zero. I don't remember if it was axe edit related, but I'm thinking it was some changes to how the block was defined. Something that would only effect XL; really got me there. Hmmm.

Danny, that is odd about the whistling. Do you run a lot of FX sends? As I recall I've had weird things happen between firmwares that effect settings in those blocks - the one I am pretty certain of was the volume being reduced to zero. I don't remember if it was axe edit related, but I'm thinking it was some changes to how the block was defined. Something that would only effect XL; really got me there. Hmmm.

Thanks for the reply....I should probably post this out of this thread to see if anyone has any ideas about it. No FX sends at all. I too was convinced it was something between FW's or even something between the MkII and the XL+ reading my presets that were created on the MkII. yek posted some common issues XL+ guys could encounter in my thread before, but I handled all the stuff he mentioned. Like...quick example. On my MkII I can run my studio compressor at +20 on the compressor output and get no whistle at all. I can't go any hotter than 6.5 on the XL+. As soon as I do, it whistles like mad. I'll post this in another place...maybe get some other suggestions. Thanks for your reply. :)

-Danny

Back
Top Bottom