Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.00 Firmware Release

Jay, are there any known problems with old firmware on the mfc when using quantum ?
Some threads have popped up where users say they've lost communication with expresion pedals and such. I would guess they're not up to date on firmware? I know my drivers, fractal bot, axe edit and axe fx are up to date so I'm not taking a risks and will properly update the MFC tonight! I'm pretty confident everything will work just fine but you never know! I'll let you all know how everything went. Again, wish me luck!

I had several solo practice sessions with Quantum last week and I really love how it makes expression and nuance translate like never before...it's very inspiring to play as it feels amazing.

Any amp I've tried I've been able to dial something in on it within seconds; I'm really liking several amps/channels that never caught my ear (or got a feel for) these days. Mild gain tones are nice and fat with tons of body for days...solo'ing with cleaner tones never felt or sounded this good. Quantum really is a special release...

I have noticed something with my MFC. I have a mark I MFC so I have not updated the firmware in a while(I'd have to check which version I'm on, I think I'm 1 or 2 back from the current because the latest versions didn't add anything for me)
but when I turn the Axe FX on, the buttons for the effects don't respond, I have to switch to another patch and then come back. Once I do that
they all work. No biggie but I did notice that, I even turned on/off several times and it's consistent behavior. The effects buttons don't respond until
I switch to another patch. After that all is good. I have not run into FRFR so I can't say "my godz it's even Realer" or not as I'm just using it in 4CM
mode with my JVM

I have noticed something with my MFC. I have a mark I MFC so I have not updated the firmware in a while(I'd have to check which version I'm on, I think I'm 1 or 2 back from the current because the latest versions didn't add anything for me)
but when I turn the Axe FX on, the buttons for the effects don't respond, I have to switch to another patch and then come back. Once I do that
they all work. No biggie but I did notice that, I even turned on/off several times and it's consistent behavior. The effects buttons don't respond until
I switch to another patch. After that all is good. I have not run into FRFR so I can't say "my godz it's even Realer" or not as I'm just using it in 4CM
mode with my JVM

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...sonding-after-quantum-update.html#post1250816

I have noticed something with my MFC. I have a mark I MFC so I have not updated the firmware in a while (...)

It's a Quantum thing, presumably on Axe-FX Mark I/II. Looks like the versión of the MFC or the firmware doesn't matters. I have a MFC MKIII and I have the same issue. Cliff knows about the issue.

There are three different threads about this or similar issues;
The one Moke said http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...sonding-after-quantum-update.html#post1250816, http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-discussion/104458-mfc-101-unresponsive-after-quantum-update.html and http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-bugs/104454-possible-bug-quantum-v1.html

Cliff said that in the last one:
I have a theory. My guess is this is happening with Mark I/II only. This is because they now take longer to boot (partially because of the extra splash screen). The MFC is requesting the patch information and timing out because the Axe-Fx hasn't booted yet. For now just select a different preset and go back after power on.

EDIT: I suggest that people that want to post about that issue, do it in the last one [http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-bugs/104454-possible-bug-quantum-v1.html] so all the information is condensed in one thread. Easier for FAS to gather info.

Last edited:
I have the same issue, scenes/IA doesn't respond on boot. I have to change preset as well
Not a big deal.. as long as it works after changing

I had several solo practice sessions with Quantum last week and I really love how it makes expression and nuance translate like never before...it's very inspiring to play as it feels amazing.

Any amp I've tried I've been able to dial something in on it within seconds; I'm really liking several amps/channels that never caught my ear (or got a feel for) these days. Mild gain tones are nice and fat with tons of body for days...solo'ing with cleaner tones never felt or sounded this good. Quantum really is a special release...

Gotta agree with all of this... well said

I think by far the best part about Quantum is being able to mess with the Power Amp saturation and Bright switch settings. It's really let me get the distortion to "sit" where I want it to on the guitar tone. It might've been there before but I couldn't find it before.

Wow, I didn't realize our posts were being censored if we voice an opinion that isn't welcome. I was poking fun at the frequent hyperboly around new FW releases - all in good fun, but that got my post deleted. Interesting.

Wow, I didn't realize our posts were being censored if we voice an opinion that isn't welcome. I was poking fun at the frequent hyperboly around new FW releases - all in good fun, but that got my post deleted. Interesting.
There's no issue with differing opinions. If you don't hear a difference, you can freely say so. I can't speak for the forum moderators, but from my perspective, your post came off as being more about sniping at people who do hear a difference, and calling out Quantum as a phony placebo, than about voicing your opinion. I'm guessing that wasn't your intention, but that's how it came off.

Last night I had a great rehearsal with the new Quantum firmware, and really got to exercise it with my patches. In some cases, the tones were noticeably different, and had a different sort of dimension that wasn't present before. For some other tones, it really wasn't a huge difference. Overall, I was very happy with my sounds on FW19, and Q1 has introduced some nice improvements on that.

I didn't have any issues with the update. I've read a few posts from people who indicated they'd experienced lost communication between the AxeFX and MFC-101, but everything worked just fine for me. In fact, I don't think I've had any issues with my system at all, and that's after 100+ shows. It's been flawless.

The new Quantum startup screen took me by surprise at first. I didn't expect it, and wound up paying more attention to it the next time I rebooted. Pretty neat, FAS! Nice to see a little eye candy on the screen. Axe-Edit remains great as well, is very solid.

I did a bit of direct tracking into Logic Pro using the new firmware, and it delivers terrific tone in that DAW as well.

Very nice work, Fractal team! My AxeFX is the best gear purchase I have made. It is gloriously awesome.

There's no issue with differing opinions. If you don't hear a difference, you can freely say so. I can't speak for the forum moderators, but from my perspective, your post came off as being more about sniping at people who do hear a difference, and calling out Quantum as a phony placebo, than about voicing your opinion. I'm guessing that wasn't your intention, but that's how it came off.

My Two Cents: It is somewhat unfortunate that each major release seems to require a fair amount of patch tweaking to 'carry on' serious gig requirements ~ this has certainly fueled many threads on other boards regarding the infamous 'placebo effect'. As humans, we are all susceptible to it, so whenever there's a way to minimize the possibility, it will certainly lead to more accurate assessments of the actual changes in updated software...

In fairness, I feel I should give an example of how this might play out:

You load up the new software update, but when you listen to the favorite presets you have been using, they don't sound very inspiring (too bright, too dull, too much gain, too little bass, etc). So now you set about tweaking these presets, and sure enough, they end up sounding much better! The hard part is knowing if they really are better than before, or if you are just wowed by the before & after comparison, or if your own tweaking skills have improved enough to have made a significant difference. This is in no way to minimize all the amazing work Cliff and the Team are doing (free of charge, no less) ~ Only to say that the differences/improvements are harder to recognize/substantiate when the 'playing field' has been somewhat re-arranged.

Last edited:
My Two Cents: It is somewhat unfortunate that each major release seems to require a fair amount of patch tweaking to 'carry on' serious gig requirements ~ this has certainly fueled many threads on other boards regarding the infamous 'placebo effect'. As humans, we are all susceptible to it, so whenever there's a way to minimize the possibility, it will certainly lead to more accurate assessments of the actual changes in updated software...
Hear, hear. If anyone has ideas on how to minimize the placebo effect, I'm all ears.

To be fair, while some of the firmware improvements have been subtle enough to fall within my personal "placebo zone," there have been quite a few firmware releases where the improvement was dramatic enough to leave no doubt in my mind.

Tonight, I had my first chance to open up Quantum in a good-sized room with a full band. The sound and feel were better than I'd ever experienced with my Axe, and the difference was big enough that I can't give any credit to the placebo effect.

i've said this before, and i still think the changes in sound from firmware updates would be easier to digest if people had to physically trade out their Axe-Fx units. some of the updates are that huge, just like getting a brand new hardware unit, and the sound and tone will change.

with that in mind, many people would choose to NOT trade out their hardware and keep their current tone/sound. while others would happily trade to an upgraded physical unit, knowing that the sound would change.

but since we can just upload new code into the Axe, many people don't understand why things change so much. i mean, consciously they understand that something is changing, but subconsciously it's the same hardware so it shouldn't change that much...

hard to put into words...

In fairness, I feel I should give an example of how this might play out:

You load up the new software update, but when you listen to the favorite presets you have been using, they don't sound very inspiring (too bright, too dull, too much gain, too little bass, etc). So now you set about tweaking these presets, and sure enough, they end up sounding much better! The hard part is knowing if they really are better than before, or if you are just wowed by the before & after comparison, or if your own tweaking skills have improved enough to have made a significant difference. This is in no way to minimize all the amazing work Cliff and the Team are doing (free of charge, no less) ~ Only to say that the differences/improvements are harder to recognize/substantiate when the 'playing field' has been somewhat re-arranged.
I totally get what you're saying. To me, the real mark of the improvement in the amp models was when I fired up new firmware and thought, "Yeah, now the EQ needs some adjustment, and it needs a little less gain than before, but the dynamics are leaping out at me with a whole new energy." In other words, the improvement is obvious, even though it's not the tone I dialed in anymore. And that improvement just gets better when I dial my sound back in.

Back
Top Bottom