Axe-Fx II Quantum 3.02 Firmware Release (3.01 We Hardly New Ye)

just updated from 1.02 (which I really liked)
I'm only using this in 4CM mode right now so I can't comment on the amp modeling , but the effects still sound killer
and my unit didn't brick updating so...........Win! :)

So as it turns out, I'm getting some weird noises as well that I think are new. I haven't gone back to prior firmware versions to see when it started. I would describe it as a little of the above and a little of what Redd described. It's an "after-noise" that comes after a note decays, and it is like a distorted/buzzy echo. It happens for me on both clean and distorted patches, and I've narrowed it to the input noise gate. I currently use the intelligent gate, set to -60, 2.0, attack=1ms, release=1ms, 0db, auto. I get the noise when the attack and release are both set to 10ms as well. However, if I offset them - like attack=1ms, release=10 or 20ms, it seems to go away.

Getting the same weird "after-noise" here too when using your settings. I can actually still hear it when raising the Release to10/20ms, but it's pretty faint.

Look to see what you input gate is set to. I originally noticed it switching between certain presets. It was driving me crazy. I found changing to the vintage or maybe it's analog (I'm not in front of my AXE, but I think that's what it's called), solves the issue for certain preset configurations. My settings are -60, 2 to 3, 10, 100, auto and this setting works for most of my presets. I don't use any other gates.

"Classic"
From the wiki: The gate features two types: “Classic” and “Intelligent”. The Classic type is a basic downward expander. The Intelligent type features faster and more stable gating along with a proprietary noise reduction algorithm.

"Classic"
From the wiki: The gate features two types: “Classic” and “Intelligent”. The Classic type is a basic downward expander. The Intelligent type features faster and more stable gating along with a proprietary noise reduction algorithm.

For the record, I'm using the Intelligent setting. Didn't get to play with it any more last night, so no new news...

RR

"Classic"
LOL, I wasn't even close. Well maybe vintage/classic;). I do notice when I use intelligent, when switching between a heavy lead and say super clean or reversed, there is a latency where the gate takes a moment to activate (the intelligent part analyzing before activating), and there is noise. Also if the preset is real heavy, the gate does not activate fast enough to stop the final floor noise before closing.
It may just be preset settings, but I find Classic is smoother in all respects.

I wish the gate block had intelligent as an option. i like to turn my gate off and on at will via a cc# when i roll volume off sometimes.

Typically you want a fast attack and slow release otherwise you'll get noise as the gate rapidly opens and closes when the signal decays.

Typically you want a fast attack and slow release otherwise you'll get noise as the gate rapidly opens and closes when the signal decays.
Agreed, but I noticed with the Intelligent gate, it does not matter what my settings are. I can set the gate to the fastest and there is still a lag when changing preset. For live, I like to be able to change a preset without a burst of noise. It doesn't lag with every preset change, but only certain ones. But it does it enough for me that I now don't use it. And I've tried tons of settings. I just figured it is the nature of the beast.

Have to agree - sounding incredible. Harder than ever to pick my amps. The list just keeps growing.

I will say CA-OD2 is incredible as are the, JTM45, Buttery, Boutique 1, AC30tb paired with AC20, Euro Blue (Classic), Gone Fishin', Smokin', FAS Modern, the Fenders (Double, Twin, Brownface), Plexi 100 ... these are the go-to's currently.

With 3.02 I'm getting a fuzz sound in the background that seems like a higher frequency like an AM radio buzz on my high gain amps. I've tried different guitars and speakers and it's still there. It subtle but its bothering me. Anyone else have this?

Me too.But I cant upload audio file. :(
I think I have this problem from fw19...

Ok - I recorded a sample of the 'after image' sound tonight. In the zip file is an mp3, and the patch I used (scene 1). Keep in mind, this is not playing...I just randomly thunked a few notes so you can hear the after 'echo'. You may need to use headphones to hear it clearly as the 'echo' is faint...but it IS weird.

Again, my input noise gate settings are -60, 2, 1ms, 1ms, 0db and auto. I was using my MIM Strat.

At this point, it's nothing more than an oddity. As Cliff suggested, bumping up the release time seems to fix it for me. It's pretty faint, but still may be interesting...

RR

Attachments

• Echo_Sample.zip
    760.2 KB · Views: 21
I tried out the preset. The only sound that I get like that from that preset is when I run the single coil, and that's interference from my computer monitors. On the humbuckers I get nothing. I turned the front panel up pretty high too. Are you getting that from headphones too? If you are monitoring at a higher volume with speakers, it could be just a slight feedback if you are not deadening the strings.

I tried out the preset. The only sound that I get like that from that preset is when I run the single coil, and that's interference from my computer monitors. On the humbuckers I get nothing. I turned the front panel up pretty high too.

Well I haven't tried it with my HB equipped guitars....so maybe a project for another day if I feel like it. However, I know it's not my computer monitors because there are none in the area.

At this point, I think I'm really done messing with it. I'm perfectly happy with 3.02...but since I did mention the noise and promise some posts, I figured I'd follow through.

Thanks everyone for you thoughts/input. I'm gonna go play now. :D

RR

Back
Top Bottom