Axe-Fx II "Quantum" 2.00 Public Beta Deux

Is there still some natural fractal algorithm spice somehow applied to these firm wares, or has that been eclipsed by the modeling advances?

So, I'm confused by the mixed response on here.... does the update make tone sound more harsh or is it more smooth????

Im still on q1.5 or q1.6. Haven't tried new update yet because of mixed comments ive read here so far
I have noticed no harshness, if anything its more smooth. I love the tone a lot! The only issue I am having is the low end on my high gains are barking a little different in my Friedman FRFR cabs. Its causing a rattle and buzz on some chords. When I go back to 1.06 I noticed its doing the same thing a little but more in Q2. Probably my setup and my super loud volume I'm using.

I took it as an insult, especially the "almighty" and "took a dump" remarks. Perhaps I misunderstand the use of those terms.

Not directed at you, just the fanboys. Dude i want this to be the best it can be, I've probably sold 100 of these things for you over the years. That was a huge change in that model, to me that's what it sounded like. I'll try to use more gracious terms when explaining my thoughts.

Just switched over to the usa normal tone stack, tweaked a bit and it was back the way it was. I prefer the less spitty tone of that tone stack then. This one you can clean up to get some chunk, the other one was just spitting like mad.

Sounds awesome to me, I lost hours yesterday on the 50watt and the 70's plexi, and most of my evening on the badger30 which I had never bothered with before.
I have a IIC+ patch that I use alot which I haven't tested yet so will do that tonight but I would imagine I would need to reset the amp block on it first and readjust from there to make sure I get the best out of it, I wouldn't imagine it would sound the same right off the bat.

I have noticed no harshness, if anything its more smooth. I love the tone a lot! The only issue I am having is the low end on my high gains are barking a little different in my Friedman FRFR cabs. Its causing a rattle and buzz on some chords. When I go back to 1.06 I noticed its doing the same thing a little but more in Q2. Probably my setup and my super loud volume I'm using.

I notice more of what I would call cabinet knock, or thwack, and I like it alot, sounds more realistic to me (this is through FRFR)

I'm really enjoying the new firmware. The 1970 Plexi is badass and the Friedman amps sounded even better. I was just going thru the presets and things just sounded great. Was there some type of update to the reverbs or something that enhances the "environment"? When playing thru my computer speakers the sound seemed to be more full and more open, etc. Sounded like more stereo separation, etc. and just enhanced. I hadn't upgraded the firmware for awhile.

I notice more of what I would call cabinet knock, or thwack, and I like it alot, sounds more realistic to me (this is through FRFR)
I believe the "crack" descriptive was discouraged here some years ago when a lively "crack" discussion broke out wrt an Ultra firmware upgrade if I recall correctly. Now the "thwack" descriptive is a new and interesting one indeed -

+1 for the presence of "thwack" in Q2.0!!

So I backed up my settings and loaded the new firmware before rehearsal. Even my bassist asked me what I did to tweak my setup to get it to sound so good...he said, "Sounds more Twin like"...which was pretty good considering I based my personal amp settings on the Twin model. Between this update and adding an Eminence Tonker in each of my cabs I'm getting some of the best tones I've ever had in all my years of playing.

I have a Tonker and a Swamp Thang in my Dumble clone's cabinet. That's a killer combination, and the Swamp Thang adds a ton of low end punch without being flubby at all. I'd love to see an IR for that kind of a cabinet.

Try the Plexi 100W 1970 with Factory Cab 54. Be sure to dial it in like you would in 1970, i.e. turn the Mid, Treble and Presence way up; turn Norm Drive and Bass down a bit.

^^^^ This sounds really good! I noticed the OUT1 clip light flickering on a couple of my existing presets after the upgrade. I'm sure it'll be corrected!

As I played more with it tonight, I'm enjoying it more and hearing the difference. Since I'm lucky to have 2 fractal devices at the moment I can compare the two firmwares at a time.

Some amps seems to have more noticeable of a change than others, but overall I'm finding that the knobs- especially the basic bass, mid, treble- sound as if they are behaving more realistically, at least to my ears.

Also, I'm hearing improvements in single note clarity while strumming chords, especially on high gain.
My djentyfriends should be veeeeeery happy about that, as well as the Opethians ;)

At the end of the day, the best compliment I can give is that this firmware update is making it so that I have to spend even less time tweaking to get usable sounds out of the unit- so I say again, "Cliff, you beautiful man, you."

Why wouldn't you just turn the volume down until it stops clipping?

Do you mean the output volume knob? Does that affect the clipping? I thought you needed to adjust the levels inside the preset to eliminate the clipping.

Do you mean the output volume knob? Does that affect the clipping? I thought you needed to adjust the levels inside the preset to eliminate the clipping.
You do have to inside the settings. A simple quick way is to adjust the global eq out1 down a few dbs. Or go into each preset and change the amp levels

Some amps seems to have more noticeable of a change than others, but overall I'm finding that the knobs- especially the basic bass, mid, treble- sound as if they are behaving more realistically, at least to my ears.

Also, I'm hearing improvements in single note clarity while strumming chords, especially on high gain.
My djentyfriends should be veeeeeery happy about that, as well as the Opethians ;)

At the end of the day, the best compliment I can give is that this firmware update is making it so that I have to spend even less time tweaking to get usable sounds out of the unit- so I say again, "Cliff, you beautiful man, you."

I totally agree! Ive always struggled making my own presets, but with each firmware update its easier for me to get awesome tones with minimal tweaking.

Back
Top Bottom