Axe-Fx II Presets -> FX8 MK-II

Toopy14

Axe-Master
Considering an FX8 MK-II, to use with my amp. I've been reading through the manual about parallel effects and I don't see an example that answers a question I have, so I'm hoping someone can help me out?

Simply, can I do this, ie, a main signal path and then a second signal path that's controlled by the Vol/Pan block, with an external modifier via expression pedal?

upload_2018-9-15_0-34-35.png

I understand how to setup the modifiers and the expression pedal, but I'm not sure if I can have multiple blocks in parallel in the FX8, ie. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in series, with 6, 7 and 8 in parallel?

So let's assume in this snip from the manual, the amp (A) is at the end;

upload_2018-9-15_0-38-24.png

Can I setup the blocks to mimic the snip above from my Axe-Fx II, like this?

----> drive ----> delay -------------------------> amp
|---> vol/pan ---> multi ---> reverb ---|

Last edited:
You can set up multiple effects in parallel with each other, but you can’t have multiple effects chains in the FX8.

You can set up multiple effects in parallel with each other, but you can’t have multiple effects chains in the FX8.

I understand that. My little drawing at the bottom of my post is not very clear, I made it look like there are two separate paths.

Can I have let’s say 1, 2, 3 in series, then 4 and 5 in parallel with each other which are in series with 6 and 7 that are in parallel with each other, then finally 8 is in series?

Last edited:
Yes:
asy9ukh.png

Thanks for posting that.

From reading the manual, I figured you could do that. However, in order to do what I want, I would need 5 to connect to 7 only and 4 to 6. Unless there’s another way that I’m missing.

I guess I always assumed the FX8 used a grid like the Axe-Fx and that the only difference was that there was no amp. modelling.

You can set up multiple effects in parallel with each other, but you can’t have multiple parallel effects chains in the FX8.

You can set up multiple effects in parallel with each other, but you can’t have multiple parallel effects chains in the FX8.

So, is there a way I can create a preset with a shimmer effect that I can fade-in with a volume pedal?

So, is there a way I can create a preset with a shimmer effect that I can fade-in with a volume pedal?
The Plex Types in the Multi-Delay and the Crystals type in the Pitch block each have their own flavors of shimmer. You can fade the effect using the Mix or Input Gain parameters.

Last edited:
The Plex Typed in the Multi-Delay and the Crystals type in the Pitch block each have their own flavors of shimmer. You can fade the effect using the Mix or Input Gain parameters.

Great minds think alike! :)

It occurred to me this morning, after cup 2 of coffee, that I could experiment with a preset in my Axe-Fx II. Then I came up with this...

upload_2018-9-16_14-32-23.png

I used the modifier on the Mix parameter of both the Reverb and MultiDly Blocks to bring the shimmer in with my volume pedal. Seems to work well with an Amp. Sim., just need to test it with my AC30.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Turns out this doesn't work very well. The drive affects the MultiDly, or the Reverb. Also with the parallel paths, it affects the levels, etc. Looking for a way to easily convert my presets and it's tough without the grid layout. Starting to look like the AX8 may be the way to go for a portable, all in one solution.

Last edited:
Turns out this doesn't work very well. The drive effects the MultiDly, or the Reverb. Also with the parallel paths, it affects the levels, etc. Looking for a way to easily convert my presets and it's tough without the grid layout. Starting to look like the AX8 may be the way to go for a portable, all in one solution.
Put the Reverb in series, after the Multi-Delay.

If you're going from the end of your signal chain into the input of your amp, you're putting that shimmer ahead of your amp's distortion, which isn't ideal placement. Go 4CM if you can. If you can't, you might not get shimmer to work the way you want it to.

Turns out this doesn't work very well. The drive effects the MultiDly, or the Reverb. Also with the parallel paths, it affects the levels, etc. Looking for a way to easily convert my presets and it's tough without the grid layout. Starting to look like the AX8 may be the way to go for a portable, all in one solution.
As far as the levels, assuming FX-8 works the same as other Fractal devices, for parallel effects set Mix to 100%, use Input Gain to control mix and make sure you use one of the Mute modes for bypass. This will get past those level changes.

Back
Top Bottom