Axe-fx II plus Sknote StripBus = awesome!

I spent the morning with Sknote StripBus after staying up waaaay too late playing with it (just got my licences last night after getting home from work). This is just my first shot at it, and I'm sure I'll get better at figuring it out once I use it some more - especially the bus compressors that come with the bundle. Nonetheless, I think it adds a really nice depth and color to the mix.

If you don't download this and listen on good speakers/headphones, expect to hear some crappy sounding audio from soundcloud. First clip without StripBus. Second clip with StripBus and some bus compression (from StripBus Bus) which I probably hit a little too hard (they are pretty beasty). Best $30 I've spent in a long time.

I used the SSL emulation on this recording and a mix of waves compressors and alloy 2 on the snare top (for transient design). No reverb at all. Just a rough look at how the plugin effects the total mix.

Hmmm. I think they both sound good. Depends what you want, but I think the first clip sounds more spacious, whereas the second is like looking at a Southwest airliner fuselage: round, smooth, and shiny, but reaching toward you rather than opening out away from you.

@ Loq - Yeah I get what you mean. As I play more with this, I think I will get the hang of it a lot better. I think that I fudged my recording a bit with the settings on the bus compressors more than anything. I played with some of the mid/side stuff recommended by the developer, and I'm not sure I'll use it in the same way in the future. When I changed the setup so that the mid/side stuff wasn't in play, it kept the sense of space much wider, but the mix comes out cleaner and more aggressive. Thanks for the input though!

Back
Top Bottom