AXE FX II or POD HD500? That is the question.....

JohnRaptor

Inspired
Okay I am a former Axe Fx ultra user. I sold it about two months ago so I can get the new AxeFxII. I am going through major withdrawal and had no idea there would be such a long wait for the new AXE FXII. Unfortunately I am around the 300's on the waitlist so it's gonna be awhile before I can get one. I know the list is not accurate but it seems to be moving at a fairly slow rate. At that speed it will possibly be a few months before I will receive my coupon. I simply cant wait!

Okay I am thinking of just going ahead and getting a PODHD500. I knw that may seem sacrilege around these parts but I need some new tone! I have listened to lots of clips on youtube and most sound pretty darn good, especially for the price. I realize the AXEII is indeed far better but it also alot more expensive which I am willing to pay but the wait is killing me. I am ready to buy now! If I had a coupon now I would buy now but that aint happening.

One of my main issues with the POD is the lack of amps. There are only about 22. I would prefer more amps but it is a great price and being I am a home recording musician and not a pro or gigging it may suit my needs. Does anyone have the POD HD500 and if so what do you think of it compared to the AXE FX? How is the tone on it? I play mostly metal so I need some great hi gain amps. The POD is a bit lacking in this area but what it does have it looks pretty capable. I also wonder if it will be constantly updated with new amp models like the AXE FX. Thats a big concern of mine. I really like that cliff updates the FX every so often with new amps.

I'm just trying to decide whether to stick it out a few more months (if I can) or just spring and get the HD500. What do you guys think?

Please dont think I'm slagging on the AXE FX, cause I love it and my Ultra was the best piece of guitar equipment I ever owned, I'm just becoming impatient as hell! :)

I used a friend's HD500 for the last 6 weeks while waiting on the Axe II. Got the II last Friday and used it in Worship on Sunday.

Let's just say that weeks of frustration over fighting to get tones I liked from the HD ended with a huge smile on my face after a couple hours setting up the AxeII (and most of that time was spent updating the firmware on the MFC and reconfiguring the IA switches). The HD really is a great unit for the price, but it's not even close to an AxeFX Standard (let alone the II) when it comes to a side-by-side comparison of tone, features, and touch responsiveness.

Personally, if you need something to hold you over, I'd look to pick up a used HD and dump it when your name comes up on the wait list.

Last edited:
Unless the HD will put you out of the running for the II when it comes out, I see no reason not to at least try it out.
I myself bought a used Fender Mustang III (I've actually had this in the past, pretty good for what I will be using it for) while waiting but I made sure that my II funds will be in order well before my name comes up on the list.
THE 500 can keep you busy for quite a while.

I can relate to your situation and have also been looking at other avenues in case the G66 date slips back once again. It's not about slagging off, it's about wanting to play guitar again ;) For the price difference ( in the UK anyway ) The Pod HD500 is £485 and the 11R is £650. The difference in quality between the 2 units however is night and day. Mork put a tune in the lounge together using the 11R and it really does sound fantastic. Axe FX killer ? No. But at a fraction of the cost it's not going to be. Youtube it, the heavier tones blow the Pod 500 out of the water too. ( and this is coming from a previous pod user who loved ( and misses ) his x3 live !! ). It all depends on your budget. If you can afford and find a used Ultra, then go for it. If however this is not an option I'd hands down recommend you pay a little extra and get the 11R over the pod HD500.

I've used the HD500 in the past... and the only amp model worth mentioning (before the MV firmware) is the Treadplate amp sim... all the other amp sims sounded like a$$... very muffled and no character other than "blah"... A couple of weeks ago I had sold my Ultra and in the meantime a buddy of mine was gracious enough to let me borrow his Pod XT Live... wow... was the only word to describe it... "wow" as in "wow, this sounds just horrible enough for me to not want to play through it..." I really almost didn't practice because it sounded sooooo bad compared to the tones I was getting with the Ultra.

For your case... you have a couple of options... and they both end up costing you about the same.

Buy the HD300, HD400 or HD500 now... spend between $320 - $500 dollars... and when your coupon arrives you can purchase the Axe-fx II for $2200... leaving you with a total expensive between $2530 - $2700

or

Buy the Axe-fx II now and spend $2600 (plus shipping) and save yourself the headache of having to use the Pod at all...

I have an ultra and HD500 at my place and I can say they aren't in the same league, no shock there. You can get some passable sounds out of the HD500 with the latest firmware with some work. But if you put it up against the ultra or a real amp the differences are very noticable. I wouldn't be afraid to use the HD500 while waiting for something better, but I wouldn't use it as a permanent solution if you want tube like tone. It can do thin sterile modern metal tones and really crystal clean tones pretty well for what it is. For the price it's a good deal

Since I began playing guitar, I've owned many amps/pre amps. Chronologically, I've been through solid state amps, hybrid amps, pod, pod pro, vetta, vetta II, again back to tube amps and then moved to the axe fx.
I can't afford a backup rig (not even for practice), so for the last couple of months (and at least for another 2 months) I haven't been able (will not be able) to plug my guitars to any amp/pre amp. Sure, that makes me practice more but I have serious withdrawal.
I even thought of just buying a used pod (yeah, the first one) cause I could afford sth like that right now (not spending any of my Axe II money!).
However, having been there in the past (and not only there) I just know that even if I had the pod (or whichever pod, tube amp etc) I wouldn't bother to play. Seriously, after playing the axe fx for the last couple of years, I just can't use anything else...
You could say that I have become an axe fx junkie and that the most important thing in music is ... music and not the rig etc, but I just can't use anything inferior compared to what I've been using for the last couple of years.
I'm not a pro, so my income doesn't come from my playing which means that I have the "luxury" to wait for the Axe II, so obviously I can't speak for someone who needs a rig to make his living, but the way I see it, even if I spend 50 euros for a used pod, it would just be a waste of money, cause I know that I won't get any kind of satisfaction playing through it. I might as well just keep playing my guitar (new actually, haven't even tried it with an amp yet) unplugged and practice more until the II arrives.
So, I would say, if you can afford another preamp/amp now AND you (will) have the money needed for the axe II in a couple of months, then go for it. You won't like the tones, but at least you'll be able to play.
However, if you're like me and you just can't afford an hd500 (or whatever) AND the axe II later, then I'd advice you to just be patient. You've owned a G1 axe, so you know what it's capable of. Don't ruin your opportunity to get THE BEST just because you can't wait for a few more months. It's just that some things in life are really worth waiting for.
Just my 2c of course blah blah blah...

Last edited:
Don't forget, you can use the HD500 to control the AxeFX II as midi floorboard AND it's a simple and easy backup rig on the floor for you as well.
I don't know guys, I played the HD500 for a while with the oldest firmware and it wasn't freaking brain surgery to get some very useable sounds out of the thing. The Fender and Vox cleans were quite good, the D13 and Dr. Z can do some decent edge of breakup into grindy stuff and some of the higher gain amps sound best using them in preamp mode (not full amp) and then being careful choosing which cab you use.
Also, if the OP is using power amp + traditional guitar cab it's a very DECENT rig.
Is it on caliber of AxeFX - no! But, is it capable of helping you make good music - yes!

Here are old clips I did with HD500:

Park 75: SoundClick artist: Greg Amann - Basement Recordings...
Gibtone: SoundClick artist: Greg Amann - Basement Recordings...
Fender DLux: SoundClick artist: Greg Amann - Basement Recordings...

I've used the HD500 in the past... and the only amp model worth mentioning (before the MV firmware) is the Treadplate amp sim... all the other amp sims sounded like a$$... very muffled and no character other than "blah"... A couple of weeks ago I had sold my Ultra and in the meantime a buddy of mine was gracious enough to let me borrow his Pod XT Live... wow... was the only word to describe it... "wow" as in "wow, this sounds just horrible enough for me to not want to play through it..." I really almost didn't practice because it sounded sooooo bad compared to the tones I was getting with the Ultra.

+1
For your case... you have a couple of options... and they both end up costing you about the same.

Buy the HD300, HD400 or HD500 now... spend between $320 - $500 dollars... and when your coupon arrives you can purchase the Axe-fx II for $2200... leaving you with a total expensive between $2530 - $2700

or

Buy the Axe-fx II now and spend $2600 (plus shipping) and save yourself the headache of having to use the Pod at all...
+1

Do you seriously think anyone here is going to sign off on a non-Fractal modeler? If you are interested in the HD500 it should be easy to demo one, then you could decide for yourself if it meets your needs.

The HD500 is decent for the price, in that it does a lot. However, the high gain amp sounds are absolutely awful IMHO unless you like a mushy undefined mess. I'm sure someone will jump in and claim you can get decent tones if you tweak it correctly. I don't doubt that at all, but it's going to take way more time and struggle than it takes to get awesome tones out of a Fractal unit, and you're still going to have that sterile Line6 feel.

I was in your exact shoes, having sold my ultra and figured I'd pick up a used hd500 just to check it out and get by. In my opinion, the unit really doesn't live up to the hype from Line6 and some of the glowing user reviews. I don't want to completely trash it, so I will say that it's a decent midi controller and the looper and some of the effects are useful. If I had a great amp I'd consider doing the 4 cable method with it.

P.S. If anyone wants to buy a used hd500 in perfect condition, PM me. ;)

Get the HD500. If you like it, keep it as a backup. Hell, if you love it, don't buy the Axe. Why spend the huge amount of cash (because you'll need a controller, too), and cause more space and weight in your rig?

I have a 500 for backup/flying and, honestly, I'm soon going to re-assess whether I need to keep the Axe as well. This, meaning I need to play the POD more in a band setting (where I know for a fact the Axe already does extremely well).

If you can Axe II but if your economy can`t buy a AXE .... Well Firts saving all you can or looking for a AXE I well if you can´t buy your last option the POD....

If you buy an a pod or whatever, I suggest you also try downloading a saturation type plug in to use in your DAW to make it sound better like massey's tape head. It's a free full use unlimited demo :) it helps believe me.

ALot of great thoughts and comments. I really appreciate all of your advice here. I think the best thing to do will be to just be patient and get the AXE FX II. If I get the POD now that is part of my Axe money so I wont be able to get the Axe when I receive my coupon. Since I loved my ultra so much and from the sounds of it, I may not dig the POD as much as I thought I would. Sometimes its hard to be patient for something you want so bad. Well I'll just have to force myself I guess. :)

The HD500 is ok live with a little tweeking. maybe a little noisey. get one and sell it for $100 cheaper than you pay. not much of a loss if its awhile till you get the II. You may even want to keep it for a back-up. also makes a nice, although limited midi controller for the Axe :)

IMHO you should ask this question in a forum not vendor specific if you want more balanced answers. I have them both and I think they are both fantastic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom