Axe-Fx II or AX8 for band practice and live shows?

I'm in a position where I can get either an AX8 or Axe-FXII + MFC-101 for about the same price. I've scoured the forums looking at the pros and cons of each, namely:

AX8:
pros: easy to set up, all-in-one package, designed with this kind of use in mind, easy to program
cons: Not as powerful as the FXII, audio gaps between changing presets, fewer buttons on controller.

Axe-FXII + MFC-101:
pros: more powerful, fully featured, no audio gaps, MFC-101 offers more programmable buttons
cons: more stuff to haul around and set up, requires link between the two, more fiddly to program and use.

I do 2 band practices a week and 2-3 live shows a month. Now, I could see that if the Axe-FXII + MFC-101 was much more expensive, then the AX8 would probably be the better choice... but what about when the price of the two options is roughly the same? I'm leaning towards the Axe-FXII + MFC-101 in this case. This is the "II" version, not the XL or XL+. Thoughts?

They both have gaps when changing presets, but if you're just changing scenes within a preset, the II will let you run 2 amp models and once and switch back and forth between them instantly like channels on a real amp. From what I understand, doing something similar on the AX-8 would require you to have different amps in the X/Y slots in the amp block, and that introduces a noticeable delay because the unit has to load entirely different amp data. This alone would be reason enough for me to get the II. If you're the kind of guy who only uses one amp sound for the entire set, this is moot.

The II now has most of the amp modeling from the Axe-FX III which makes a massive difference, IMO. Whether or not the same amp modeling will be ported to the AX-8 has yet to be seen. IIRC, the II also runs the amp models in a higher resolution. The II also has a built-in audio interface which could be useful for all kinds of crap. I've used my II recently as just as audio-midi interface for electronic drums and it works perfectly for that. I imagine you could also power a MIDI lighting rig with it as well if you're so inclined.

The AX-8's looper time is a lot longer than any of the II's if that makes any difference. I have a II Mark 1 and amp completely satisfied. Sure I wish it was even more portable like the AX-8 but at this point it's a III in a 2 space rack so that's awesome. You can't really go wrong, either way. Just depends on your specific needs.

I have both and tended to gravitate toward the AX8 simply because it is much less to haul around. AX8, guitar and a lightweight powered cab to the gig in one trip from the car. I was doing mostly musical theatre and we weren't going for loud levels in the pit (sometimes, silent). So, YMMV.

Agree with @deathbyguitar that you will have to work around gaps on both devices. AX8 is a little more cumbersome to program, but with "scene controllers" you can get a lot done. There is tons of content on this site to show you how.

For me, the reduced power of the AX8 versus the II was a show-stopper, despite the attraction of a reduced footprint.

Is this your first? if so, it's difficult to know how much you can do with each unit. Maybe you should look at presets in the exchange to get an idea of what's possible. Start with a "wish list" in whatever form you like -- particular tunes, particular tones, particular combinations of amps, cabs and pedals -- and see what presets for the AX8 and the II (again, on the exchange) are suited to your needs. It'll give you a good idea of what others were able to accomplish with each unit.

I prefer clean tones mainly, so wouldn't miss the ability to layer amps. But I *really* like to have a lot of effects at my disposal; my main preset is at capacity for the II, and even then I had to compromise w.r.t. the "aircraft carrier" pedalboard that preceded it.

The observation of the preceding paragraph is not a criticism of the II by any stretch; I could do a lot more if I used more presets, but then I'd need to come up with a good way to remember which preset has which combination of effects. I play only improv; no set list; not even any set pieces. I need to be able to adjust my sound in response to the improv piece; for me a "virtual pedalboard" approach works best. But that can eat up a lot more CPU than a preset that's designed, say, for a particular section of a particular tune. Just to illustrate the point: while my main patch is a virtual pedalboard with a couple handfuls of guitar-standard effects, my other two are more along the lines of synthesizing other instruments; one is a nice drawbar organ with rotary; the other is a synth that my bass player swears is reminiscent of Jan Hammer during the `80s. All three consume pretty much all of the CPU capacity of the II.

Learn as much as you can about both units and how others who share your musical aesthetics have programmed each and what limitations, if any, they've encountered. (The wiki is a terrific resource.)

I currently don't own a Fractal product, and almost pulled the trigger on a Helix the other day before realizing the error of my ways. The last two live shows I went direct into the PA using a Joyo Ameican Sound pedal (Deluxe Reverb amp) coupled with a Mooer Radar pedal (cabinet sim) into a direct box... and I liked it so much that I decided to look into one of these.

I'll check out the available presets. I play mostly classic rock (Stones, Beatles) and would also need a good 80s clean guitar tone with the chorus or Dimension D/compression. Lots of the 80s guitar was heavy with delay/reverb and other effects too.

Depends what you want - I personally use an AX8 out of convenience (small footprint, I usually take my stuff by foot/train to the rehearsal), and with some tweaks didn't run into any processing power issues.

With the one Amp block in the AX8 - that depends what you want. I usually have 3 tones (clean, crunch, high gain) and with the AX8 10 firmware, much of the X/Y changing time disappeared. Reminds me on my old amps with relay channel switching. We are two guitarists, so a short gap isn't a problem.
When using the Input trim with scene controllers, I can immediatly switch between crunch/high gain without a gap. Though, this is also possible with the Axe-Fx II. And using the mixer may help to even transition between clean and higher gain seamlessly (on the FX II).

So, at the end of the day, I would suggest to take a look at what kind of footprint you want, and how much effects you run per preset.
Some guys even put external Reverbs via FX-Loop in the AX8 to have more processing power.

Also interesting:
What kind of music do you play? How much effects you have to run at the same time?

Same price ?? I would def get the II and MFC. More power and Ares FW.
Not that much more to carry - one more thing. And one more thing to plug in. Just get a 2 unit rack case - done son !

Basically same price? I’d with the II & MFC. Only one more thing to carry, but it’s light and the II has more options. I don’t have one, but AX8 has much the same as the II

Since I already have an AX-8 and an Axe FX II XL+ with the MFC-101 MK III price is not a question for me.

Both rigs are optimized for quick set-up and tear down but the AX-8 is so much easier to move. That's why I got the AX-8 in the first place.

The bottom line though is I can get what I need from the AX-8 so in general the Axe FX is overkill for me.

Just because something is more powerful doesn't mean it's better.

I used to gig with a Mesa RoadKing, then an Ultra, then a II (which I now only use at home) and now an AX8. I play classic rock, blues, alternative and use some effects, but not more than a few at a time. The AX8 is great for gigging. Sounds great, performs fine and is a lot less to lug and set up.

I have them all. The AX8 for me is used for band rehearsals and live gig backup, or small gig solution. The II (now replaced by a III) is used for live shows and incredible inspiration practicing at home or recording. God I love the III. ! It sounds and feels sooo good. I can not wait until they figure a way to pack a III into an AX8 format. Although the III with an FC 6 is a pretty awesome footprint, hauling one more item easily. I have a II/MFC and fx8 to sell very soon!

Edit: if you gig the II or III for that matter I suggest checking out a shallow rack case, right angle adapters, and use a patch panel at front (1 extra “u”). I never take the back lid off my II when it leaves the house. This allows easy quick connections and ability to put it anywhere, on the floor on the back end of the rack etc... easy grab and go and you won’t miss the ease of transport, setup or breakdown compared to an AX8. FWIW

Last edited:
I have them all. The AX8 for me is used for band rehearsals and live gig backup, or small gig solution. The II (now replaced by a III) is used for live shows and incredible inspiration practicing at home or recording. God I love the III. ! It sounds and feels sooo good. I can not wait until they figure a way to pack a III into an AX8 format. Although the III with an FC 6 is a pretty awesome footprint, hauling one more item easily. I have a II/MFC and fx8 to sell very soon!

Edit: if you gig the II or III for that matter I suggest checking out a shallow rack case, right angle adapters, and use a patch panel at front (1 extra “u”). I never take the back lid off my II when it leaves the house. This allows easy quick connections and ability to put it anywhere, on the floor on the back end of the rack etc... easy grab and go and you won’t miss the ease of transport, setup or breakdown compared to an AX8. FWIW
The Axe Fx II doesn't fit a shallow rack... I used all right angle connectors and a front of rack panel and also never took off the back cover... But it was a medium depth case with deep lids and still barely fit.

There's a very good reason the Axe-Fx II with MFC-101 was well over twice the price of the AX8 originally. Assuming you're not hung up on portability, I'd definitely recommend the Axe-Fx II. It has far more processing power dedicated to effects, thus you can use more effects blocks simultaneously if you need to. It also allows you to use up to two Amp, Cab and Reverb blocks. With the additional horsepower, you'll be less likely to run out of CPU when using the Reverb block in high quality.

The Axe Fx II doesn't fit a shallow rack... I used all right angle connectors and a front of rack panel and also never took off the back cover... But it was a medium depth case with deep lids and still barely fit.
I’m sorry you feel this way. Mines been in a Gator shallow since a week after the day I bought it in 2013. This case from my order history.

Gator Cases Lightweight Molded 3U Rack Case with Heavy Duty Latches; Shallow 14.25" depth, 3U (GR-3S) Amazon product ASIN B000Y7UMI4

I’m sorry you feel this way. Mines been in a Gator shallow since a week after the day I bought it in 2010. This case from my order history.

Gator Cases Lightweight Molded 3U Rack Case with Heavy Duty Latches; Shallow 14.25" depth, 3U (GR-3S) Amazon product ASIN B000Y7UMI4
I actually have the 6u version of that rack for my Axe Fx III which is a great fit.

You must have a really tight fit in the back?

In any case (no pun intended) since you've posted that it works for you, it's probably ok for others... Assuming they get similar right angle adapters to yours (not all are created equally).

Edit:

Note that the case above is 14.25" including the space of the back lid. The case without the lid is a bit over 12".

The case I was using it 14.25" without the lids...

Axe Fx II dimension is listed as 14.25" deep... Although I think that includes the front handles.

So... Your mileage may vary ;)

Last edited:
Yeah it’s tight. But worth it in my opinion. I started with a deeper version but hated it. It felt way too big. I found a way to make it work shallow.

what patch panel are you using?

There's a very good reason the Axe-Fx II with MFC-101....... you'll be less likely to run out of CPU when using the Reverb block in high quality.
In a live situation high quality reverb is completely unnecessary IMHO. The same for UltraRes IRs. Heck, I run never real quality reverb and regular res IRs on my Axe FX.

what patch panel are you using?
It is a custom made breakout/patch panel from VFAM sound. I'm not sure if they make them anymore, as I believe the owner had medical issues or is no longer with us.. and shop is closed -someone else will likely confirm this. However, I picked another up from Reverb used (looks like to be user built), and am tweaking it for my III right now. You might want to check Bestronics as well.

In a live situation high quality reverb is completely unnecessary IMHO. The same for UltraRes IRs. Heck, I run never real quality reverb and regular res IRs on my Axe FX.

While I respect that you don't use high quality reverbs live, everybody's different.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom