Axe FX II options and advice!

I had a really good gig today with my axe fx and tech 21 power engine.....used for 200 bucks and plenty loud.

Hey guys thanks again for the recommendations and even more things to think about!

@NiceChris - the recordings sound nice and clean, I appreciate you sharing. While I do a lot of ambient sounds, my band plays stupidly loud. So, my biggest concern with the Axe setup relates to live volume at practice and at shows. I KNOW I can get great recording sounds out of it. Those CFR's paired with the Matrix power amps seem to be a great way to go right now - I'm wondering what made you pick that setup over say a set of Active PA speakers? Seems one can get something like the QSC K10s (32 lbs) or the RCF NX10s (~32 lbs) without the use of a power amp. I know it's a different vibe going with the FRFR setup as opposed to a Solidstate power amp and separate speakers. I don't have them both to compare, but I've just never loved Solidstate poweramps cranked at high volumes. . . .

@boardwlk17 - Sorry to hear of your physical issues. I'm only 29, and I've had chronic pain for over 10 years (was in a car accident in high school). I "look normal" and I have a decent amount of mobility, so looking at me you wouldn't think I have the problems that I do - but they are there. I appreciate you explaining your situation - just gives me extra incentive to try and save $4000 for an Axe rig so I can really minimize the pain and discomfort that I have to go through too. I'm glad you can continue playing - I'm a little nervous what the doctors have been saying about my arms lately in terms of playing and teaching guitar (since that's all I do!)

@ari - I've heard mixed things about the Tech 21 Power Engine. It's only 60 solidstate watts right? I don't think that is anywhere near the power that I would need.

@NiceChris - the recordings sound nice and clean, I appreciate you sharing. While I do a lot of ambient sounds, my band plays stupidly loud. So, my biggest concern with the Axe setup relates to live volume at practice and at shows. I KNOW I can get great recording sounds out of it. Those CFR's paired with the Matrix power amps seem to be a great way to go right now - I'm wondering what made you pick that setup over say a set of Active PA speakers? Seems one can get something like the QSC K10s (32 lbs) or the RCF NX10s (~32 lbs) without the use of a power amp. I know it's a different vibe going with the FRFR setup as opposed to a Solidstate power amp and separate speakers. I don't have them both to compare, but I've just never loved Solidstate poweramps cranked at high volumes. . . .

Just happened to get the Matrix GT800FX first, then I got the speakers later. I wouldn't want powered speakers as it would one more lead for me to trail about the place. I have also had the pleasure of hearing them cranked at a show, and they certainly grabbed peoples attention, in a good way. To me, the AF2, GT800FX and two CFR12s, are a great partnership.

Just happened to get the Matrix GT800FX first, then I got the speakers later. I wouldn't want powered speakers as it would one more lead for me to trail about the place. I have also had the pleasure of hearing them cranked at a show, and they certainly grabbed peoples attention, in a good way. To me, the AF2, GT800FX and two CFR12s, are a great partnership.

Yeah - I gotcha. Didn't think of that passive speaker aspect. Plus the CFRs have the coaxial thing which is pretty cool. Ahh so many options!

I go direct foh. Our sound guy at church who is very particular about guitar tone was blown away when he first heard the mighty axe 2 . He came up to montana from california and is an educated sound guy with tons of experience. His comment to me about the axe 2 was "that isn't a modeler, that is an amp, and a better one in a lot of ways than an amp". He basically runs my eq flat.

Edit: keep in mind we are all in ear monitoring.... due to volume limitations cuz of the blue hairs that don't like it loud. We did summer song last weekend as a walkin song and a few walked out. Lol

Last edited:
Cool. In my case I would need a backline behind me - we like a lot of stage volume behind us. So I'm trying to narrow it down to get a balance of lightweight/portable gear and LOUD volume on stage.

I like the the idea of the Matrix CFR or Xitone stuff - but then I would have to run a poweramp which means more weight/gear and an extra purchase.

I think getting something portable but loud like the RCF NX10 would be rad, but then I'm not sure if they would be great as a backline like traditional guitar cabs bc of their dispersion pattern being a monitor wedge.

There is also just using lightweight guitar cabs (I already have an open back 2x12 that I like that only weighs around 30 lbs). But to run stereo I would need to get another one and still buy a poweramp. I also think FRFR would be cool esp for pitch effects and 8 string stuff eventually.

Ay least there are options! Just not sure what will yield the best results for me.

Hey guys just wanted to post an update that with YOUR help and recommendations I have narrowed my search, and with the help of one forum member was able to even TRY out the Axe Fx II with a QSC K10 monitor as well as a Solid State power amp into a few good cabs (Port City and Bogner). Thanks!!!!!

I have to say that I was pretty impressed with the K10. I don't have a lot of experience, but I was able to get a pretty useable sound for me in about 10 minutes. I'm still a TAD concerned with how it will sound fully cranked (since I wasn't able to try that) in a super loud band setting, but I guess there is only one way to find out!

Lastly, I know the RCF coaxial monitors have been getting great reviews here, and I would go for the 10inch version if I could afford it. Alas, I cannot. I'm not even sure how I'm going to afford an Axe, MFC101, and a pair of used QSC K10s! I think I read about the Matrix powered stuff coming out and that seems really interesting. I have a little ways to go before I take the big plunge, so I guess I'll just have to see.

Thanks again for anyone who weighed in on this conversation. I'm really stoked just thinking about the really lightweight options but still having a great sounding setup for live use.

If anyone has any more suggestions on a lightweight FRFR setup that will be super loud (and that I can run two stereo monitors behind me) - I'm all ears. My goal as I said is probably Axe II / MFC101 / 2x QSC K10s as a backline.

Hey Jean. Thanks. I came actoss these too. Unfortunately, they are 10 lbs heavier than the K10s and since I'm looking for lighter weight stuff I took it off my list!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom