Axe-FX II on the way, couple of questions for veteran users

Clickonce

Inspired
Really looking forward to it. Couple of questions though.

1. cables - I understand I need to pickup a usb cable (square)... anything else?
2. rack - do I need one? Is it ok to sit on a desk (from a cooling perspective). If so, any recommendations on a small form factor (inexpensive) rack?
3. controller - the mfc101 is pretty high end.. I really would probably only ever use an expression pedal. Any recommendations?
4. software - I was pointed to the support area to get a headstart on downloading drivers, software, etc.
5. firmware - I'm assuming it will come with 6.0.
6. once order is processed, how long does it generally take? I went with UPS ground.
7. I have an m-audio fw 410 that has served me well for a long time now. I was planning to use that as an interface. I'll be recording direct... but I understand the axe also has built in interface? How are you guys running direct recordings? Using external interface or the axe or does it matter?

Thanks for any/all advice. Look forward to checking out all the presets and the user submitted profiles.

Cheers.

Cables - What are you going to hook up to besides your computer? Are you going to hook it up to monitors or a power amp? If so, you'll need cables for that.

Rack - If it's just gonna sit on your desk, you can take off the rack ears and it'll be fine. Just don't lose the ears!

Controller - If all you want is an expression pedal, you can plug directly into the AxeFx with not MIDI controller at all.

Interface - Most folks with the AxeFx II seem to be using the built-in USB interface rather than going through another round of A/D/A conversions.

1. cables - I understand I need to pickup a usb cable (square)... anything else?

Depends on what you're hooking in & out of the Axe, but yes, the USB is the standard A to B USB cable.

2. rack - do I need one? Is it ok to sit on a desk (from a cooling perspective). If so, any recommendations on a small form factor (inexpensive) rack?

You can leave the unit sitting on a desk.

3. controller - the mfc101 is pretty high end.. I really would probably only ever use an expression pedal. Any recommendations?

You can use pretty much an midi controller you want. It all depends on how much functionality you want. I use an old Roland FC-200. It works fine for me.

4. software - I was pointed to the support area to get a headstart on downloading drivers, software, etc.

Yep, download AXE-Edit & install it now. You can start using it to look at people's patches & get used to the interface. You can't play through it, but you can explore lots of things ahead of time.

Don't assume that. You will probably have to upgrade it to 6.0.

6. once order is processed, how long does it generally take? I went with UPS ground.

From the info on the waiting list thread in the Lounge forum, it seems that if you order in the morning (East Coast time), they ship out same day. However long it takes UPS Ground to get from the northeast US to your house is how long you will wait.

7. I have an m-audio fw 410 that has served me well for a long time now. I was planning to use that as an interface. I'll be recording direct... but I understand the axe also has built in interface? How are you guys running direct recordings? Using external interface or the axe or does it matter?

I have only used the analog ins & outs of the Axe so far.

Controller - I was using a Behringer FCB1010 with the UNO chip for quite a while and it worked well for a lower priced controller. Got my MFC101 yesterday and I love it, but the Behringer with the UNO chip will do 5 presets per bank and 5 IA's for turning on/off individual effects. If you are sure you'll only want an expression pedal then you can just plug one into the jack,m like Alex mentioned.

Order processing - I think Fractal is pretty quick to get things shipped, but shipping ground takes a different amount of time depending on where you are. They are located on the East Coast of the U.S. so it could take a week if you are on the West Coast.

Interface - Different strokes for different folks, but I use my RME FireFace 400 with analog out from the Axe-FX. The converters on both units are great, so I don't think I'm losing much and I don't like being tied to 48K which is all I seem to be able to get with the Axe-FX USB. Which of course leads to cables... if you use the Axe-FX II as your interface you'll only need the USB cable, but if you use your FW 410 you'll need some audio cables to go from the analog out of the Axe-FX II into the interface.

Rack - Mine is on my desk in front of me. Didn't take off the rack ears because I may want to rack it someday and I don't want to lose them.

Firmware - It will come with whatever firmware was out right before it shipped.

Shipping - Depends on where you live relative to the home office.

Interface - You can use the Axe-II as the interface. or use its audio outs to your M-Audio interface. You can experiment with both to find out which method you prefer.

**Best to work from the other end on this. What do you intend to connect to the Axe II? If a computer is it, USB will cover you. Otherwise, only what it takes to go from your intended destination back to the Axe Fx for output. A good guitar cable is always a starting spot.

**Just desktop, you don't need one. You could also get one of those frame rail racks (completely open, but angles the face up a bit for better viewing) for under $50.

** +1 on aleclee. If just an expression pedal, there is a place to plug it right into the Axe II. That goes back to #1, get a cable to go from the pedal to the Axe.

**The support site is great. I STRONGLY suggest downloading the manual and starting the journey. The manual is the Axe Bible. If you see "RTFM" posted here, it is normally a polite reference to taking this suggestion.

**Likely so, as I have heard others here now receiving it with 6.0 installed. If not, it's very easy to do from the afformentioned support site.

**If you're in the US, 3-7 days depending on location. I am in Texas, 3 days on one order, 4 on the next.

**So far I have done no recording that hasn't come direct from Axe to recorder. You can select which output to route that signal to (and in the manual there are a lot of recording tips). Many hear are experts in this regard and I am sure will have great options for you.

Thanks for any/all advice. Look forward to checking out all the presets and the user submitted profiles.

**You will find that checking out the presets may get you listed as MIA by friends and family for a while. Welcome to the forum!

Cheers.

** Rick

Last edited:
Many thanks for the replies.

Sounds like I'm going to be good to go with just a USB cable. I will likely use the Axe as the interface for a while. Good to hear there's no heat issues with simply putting it on a desk.

My question around shipping time was really about how long it takes before it is packed up and sent. I didn't know if they had these stocked or not. Sounds like it's pretty much same day ship which is awesome.

Off to grab the software and manual.

Have a great weekend!

Back
Top Bottom