Axe-Fx II (non) Sighting

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
I was watching Guitar Center Sessions tonight and Coheed and Cambria were on. All they had behind them were cabs (possibly/probably dummy cabs as they were using IEMs).

I have heard that Guitar Center doesn't allow bands to display their gear if they don't sell that brand. I said to my wife "I think those guys are Axe-Fx users but I don't see any but nor do I see any amps". During a guitar solo the camera panned to the guitar players foot and there was an MFC-101 and a Mission pedal.

Sounded great. Very clear tones.

My friend has done engineering for a number of those GC sessions. He said that over half the time they go back and re-track everything in a studio, usually with a totally different amp than what they used during the session. He did say that in one case there was a band that didn't really have any gear that they sold in the store, so GC actually made them set up a whole mess of dummy gear and hide all their stuff to the side.

That's probably what Coheed had to do. Looking at some of the other session videos I'm seeing some bands using "backline gear" that I know for a fact they don't normally play.

I saw them with Between the Buried Me and around November 2012, they were using AxeFX Ultras I think. Both them and BTBAM were using Fractal units, the whole night was all Axe. :)

Last edited:
At .02 in the opening still shot left hand side you can clearly see an Axe II on the cab and one behind the drum set in the back. Hard to tell if they are still there for the video shoot behind all of the stage dressing. Maybe they hid it in the guys hair :lol man that guy has some BIG hair... cool group!.

I've seen a few axefx in stage on there. I know there was one on stage during the Switchfoot sessions and I can't off hand remember the other one. It just depends on the setup I think really and how they want the stage to look. Papa Roach was on there and Jerry Horton plays an AXEFXII (which you of course know) and goes straight to the board but had to put some schecter cabs on there for his sponsor. So in that case it was just a sponsor thing and whatever cabs Coheed had probably were the same deal.

I saw them about a year ago and they were using Axe-fx Ultras into port city cabs. Nothing fancy AT ALL. From what I've heard they're using II's now but that's their whole setup. No amps.

Not a huge fan of GC but I do like that show and Axs.tv in general for music. Also not a huge Mark Cuban fan either lol

At .02 in the opening still shot left hand side you can clearly see an Axe II on the cab and one behind the drum set in the back. Hard to tell if they are still there for the video shoot behind all of the stage dressing.

FYI - That same shot with the GC Sessions logo is used in the other artist videos also.

Never heard of this show either - thanks for mentioning it - Just watched the Joe Walsh segment - man I love the way he plays.

Re the Digitech Whammy vs AxeFx II Whammy discussion: Check out Joe's whammy bit in Funk 49 at 2:10 of the guitar centre sessions segment - He's playing this on a Digitech Whammy from what I can see there and it sounds pretty artificial (as expected and as it should going up that high). The Axe Whammy is as good or better.

I remember seeing an old Premier Guitar Rig Rundown of Coheed and Cambria where they were using ultras. So yeah, no surprise. Great band, smart guys, seems natural they would use the Axe :)

Wow, I wasn't aware all of the shows were archived on their website. Need to fire up the headphones and watch some of these soon.

Edit: Never mind, not fully archived.

Back
Top Bottom