Axe-FX II - Noisy Output 2 (Digital and Crackle Pops)

GrooveSync

Hi I have just changed my wiring in the studio so that i can utilise both output 1 (with Cab Emulation) and Output 2 (Matrix GT1000FX to MArshall 4x12 Cab) without rewiring, however when i turn on the Matrix i get a lot of clicks and pops come through the 4x12 cab. I also get a enormous amount of digital noise when turning the AxeFX front panel Output 2 control. I don't get any of this noise when connecting to the Output 1 jacks.
I am using hum buster leads (TRS to TS) to connect output 2 to the Amp.
I have disconnected all other connections (USB, Output 1, AES-EBU,MFC101) but this makes no difference. I have also tried different cables.
Has anyone else experienced this noise through output 2? Is the unit faulty?
I am on firmware version 7.00
Hope someone can help as it is unusable as it is.

Brett.

I am experiencing the same problem. I just recently started using a tube power amp and a traditional cabinet as of a few weeks ago. Just this past Sunday I tried out 2 for the first time so I could utilize a different global for my headphones/studio monitors and a separate eq for my poweramp/cabinet. When is had the poweramp/cabinet connected to out 1, it is real quiet, when I try running out of out 2 I get a ton of constant hum/hiss/noise out of my cabinet.

I thought in the I/O section for Out 2 I might have accidentally bumped the Out 2 Boost/Pad control but it was still set a zero....... What gives?

Robert

Check your graphic eqs for each output, make sure everything is flat for both outputs (including the level control of the geq).
I can't remember if the boost/pad control actually does something for the analogue outputs, I think it only affects the digi out... But I quess you can always check it just to be sure...
Also, check your effects loop block. Maybe the levels in the effects block are not flat, thus clipping the output.
If everything is set up correctly, just try to lower the level control for each patch and see if the problem disappears.

Hi Brett.
I'm experiencing the same problem. One week ago I changed my setup to Output 1 -> PA (Amp+Cab sim), and Output 2 -> Matrix Power Amp and my stereo 4x12 (without Cab sim).
When I'm not playing Output 2 makes pops and crackles. Output 1 is complete free from noise. As I'm not playing, it could not be clipping. It's nothing wrong with the sound itselves.
Before my last rehersal I upgrades the FW from 8.01 to 9. No difference. I have also changed the cables from the Output 2 to the Matrix. The strange thing is that the noise and crackle appears to only be in the left channel.

Did you find a solution?

Regards
b.j.

Me too. I run out 2 ( using axe just as effects process) to an ac30 and I have found the same noise. Boost/pad doesn´t reduce the noise

I am experiencing the same problem. I just recently started using a tube power amp and a traditional cabinet as of a few weeks ago. Just this past Sunday I tried out 2 for the first time so I could utilize a different global for my headphones/studio monitors and a separate eq for my poweramp/cabinet. When is had the poweramp/cabinet connected to out 1, it is real quiet, when I try running out of out 2 I get a ton of constant hum/hiss/noise out of my cabinet.

I thought in the I/O section for Out 2 I might have accidentally bumped the Out 2 Boost/Pad control but it was still set a zero....... What gives?

Robert

Exactly same problem here...

But here some users also experience the hiss. Thought it was the same thing.

When is had the poweramp/cabinet connected to out 1, it is real quiet, when I try running out of out 2 I get a ton of constant hum/hiss/noise out of my cabinet.

In the other thread there was some talk about the output 2 mod? Same was the case with the noisy fans. I had to replace my fan with a new one. I just don't understand why they don't make it right in the first place. You should expect that such essential things are tested better before these machines go on the market......

But here some users also experience the hiss. Thought it was the same thing.

In the other thread there was some talk about the output 2 mod? Same was the case with the noisy fans. I had to replace my fan with a new one. I just don't understand why they don't make it right in the first place. You should expect that such essential things are tested better before these machines go on the market......

Do a search on the forum... Cliff explaned somewhere why that is and what the benefits are from the output the way it is now. They adjust the output 2 for free. for most users that solution is not wanted ..

Would be nice to read this. Do you have a link? I can not find this.
I can't think of a reason why anybody wants hiss or a noisy effects loop.

Do a search on the forum... Cliff explaned somewhere why that is and what the benefits are from the output the way it is now. They adjust the output 2 for free. for most users that solution is not wanted ..

I must still strongly disagree with that claim. I believe new units have the proper filtering in place.

I must still strongly disagree with that claim. I believe new units have the proper filtering in place.

Can someone clarify this please? Would like to know exactly what the reason is behind the noisy Effect loop. Is it a bug in all Axe fx II machines before a certain date? just like with the noisy fans.
Why isn't this tested better before these machines go on the market?

Can someone clarify this please? Would like to know exactly what the reason is behind the noisy Effect loop. Is it a bug in all Axe fx II machines before a certain date? just like with the noisy fans.
Why isn't this tested better before these machines go on the market?

It's gonna end up in a &%$&%"%! 8) Just contact Fractal or G66, depending on where you are.

Cliff:

"Output 2 is wideband by design. Under most circumstances this is desirable. However, if you put Output 2 into a high-gain amp the wideband noise will intermodulate into the audible frequencies. We can modify the unit to reduce the bandwidth of Output 2 if desired and this will reduce the apparent noise when input into a high-gain amplifier.
I do NOT recommend this modification for most users."

hmmm..I don't buy this. I use effect loop mostly in clean to moderate drive situations. I never use high gain. Also never had any problems with hiss on other machines.

Back
Top Bottom