Axe-Fx II no longer runs (blank green screen, no audio etc...) (SOLVED - Loose Ribbon cable)

Synchronicity

Inspired
Hi there, I've owned my Axe Fx II MK2 since around the end of 2013 if I remember correctly, but suddenly it has stopped functioning.

Symptoms include;

Upon start-up all the LEDs flash in sequence as they normally would.
Screen stays blank green with no Fractal Audio logo animation.
No audio input.
Tempo light just blinks as normal.
Fan runs at normal speed.
Computer fails to connect with the unit as an audio interface.
No response from any buttons but turning the main control-wheel dims the screen slightly on each notch.

EDIT: It does seem to have some very limited response actually, pressing the X/Y buttons engages the yellow "Edited" LED, and tapping the Tempo button does actually change the speed that it flashes at. Since the software appears to still be running to some capacity perhaps it's just a matter of something like a ribbon cable coming loose inside (it hasn't been moved in over a year though)?

Wondering if anyone has had this issue and knows how to fix it? Perhaps flashing the BIOS or something (I have a USB BIOS flash programmer tool that I've used for bricked computer motherboards in the past)? I'll try picking up a spare CMOS battery replacing that too, as I haven't used the unit for about a month straight due to hectic stuff going on, so perhaps that drained the last of the juice from the 7+ year old battery.

Cheers!

EDIT: Just adding this for future reference if anyone else has this same issue, the legend Mark Day at support suggested reseating the ribbon cables, and lo-and-behold...it fixed the issue 100% with minimum time and effort, so thanks again to Mark and FAS, really appreciative of his help, especially during this time of year, and so glad to have this killer unit working again (I really want a III too in the future if I can afford it, but would love to keep this unit around too for a mega 4 amp live rig haha....)

Cheers!

Last edited:
At hte risk of stating the obvious, have you contacted Support? They're probably your best resource, unless they won't even talk about the II any more.

I'm in the UK and they state they will only provide support to customers that bought the unit directly from them, I seem to remember they had a more lenient attitude to it in the past, but they are probably extremely busy these days in comparison so I don't want to pi*s them off haha!

I bought it used off of eBay so no luck there either haha... I get a feeling that replacing the CMOS battery and having a look inside should resolve the issue.

I'm in the UK and they state they will only provide support to customers that bought the unit directly from them, I seem to remember they had a more lenient attitude to it in the past, but they are probably extremely busy these days in comparison so I don't want to pi*s them off haha!
There is nowhere that Fractal says they won't support the product because you bought it second-hand. It only says the warranty is non-transferrable.
Contact Support.

I was basing it on this statement from the Contact Us page, but yes I've just found the support portal, will drop them a message. Cheers guys!

"​

Technical Support
If you ordered your product directly from Fractal Audio Systems, please contact us through support.fractalaudio.com or email us at support@fractalaudio.com

If you ordered your product from a Fractal Audio dealer in another region, please first contact that dealer for support. You can find the list of dealers here."

The legend Mark Day at support suggested reseating the ribbon cables, and lo-and-behold...it fixed the issue 100% with minimum time and effort, so thanks again to Mark and FAS, really appreciative of his help, especially during this time of year, and so glad to have this killer unit working again (I really want a III too in the future if I can afford it, but would love to keep this unit around as well for a mega 4 amp live rig haha....)

If I didn't go to bed early last night, the issue would've been resolved within just a couple of hours incredibly haha!

Cheers!

The legend Mark Day at support suggested reseating the ribbon cables, and lo-and-behold...it fixed the issue 100% with minimum time and effort, so thanks again to Mark and FAS, really appreciative of his help, especially during this time of year, and so glad to have this killer unit working again (I really want a III too in the future if I can afford it, but would love to keep this unit around as well for a mega 4 amp live rig haha....)

If I didn't go to bed early last night, the issue would've been resolved within just a couple of hours incredibly haha!

Cheers!
Had same thing happen once and never again. All good and not a "widespread problem" by any sorts.

Wow good to hear. This is something I dread ever happening. On second thought It would be an excuse to buy a 3 lol.

Had same thing happen once and never again. All good and not a "widespread problem" by any sorts.
Yep, these boxes are very well built and take a lot of punishment even. I have taken mine camping and in and out of the cold even and never a problem after all these years. It sits on the shelf most of the time and never been dropped or anything but for an electronic device it's outlasted everything else I ever had and it gets a lot of use. Sometimes 8 hours daily and for the first 3 years, I played it for hours on end daily or nightly. I even use it as my computer's sound card and for playing music. It hardly ever gets turned off. It must have 5000 hours of use by now maybe a lot more.

Back
Top Bottom