Axe Fx II no longer likes to be on overnight

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I've noticed something a little different since the last fw. I tend to have the bad habit of leaving the A2 on over night. It's never been a problem, however lately it's seems I have to reboot to get the signal going. If it's on overnight it tends to not pass the guitar signal without a reboot.

That's all. Just thought it was worth noting.

A huge waste of energy to leave it on when it's not in use surely? At night everything that uses AC gets religiously switched off at my house, and I mean everything, lights, Wi-Fi, the lot! Electricity costs here in the UK are insane. It's enough to give you nightmares.

That happened to me once recently when I left my Axe on overnight (I usually don't). I'm running v12.03.

A huge waste of energy to leave it on when it's not in use surely? At night everything that uses AC gets religiously switched off at my house, and I mean everything, lights, Wi-Fi, the lot! Electricity costs here in the UK are insane. It's enough to give you nightmares.

THIS.

Except for the WIFI and the fridge. Why do we always trust the fridge?

Sorry for a slight hi-jack! is it preferred to leave it on for lets say 5-7 hours, rather than perhaps turn it on/off 4-5 times? I practice at home and then have a brake or roam off to do something else for a while, then back at it again...

or doesnt matter what so ever?

I have always left my preamps and electronic instruments on 24/7 to avoid the recycling of power that can lead to thermal cycling and possible strain on the power supplies, rails, and components that can shorten the life of electronic components. I have never had any equipment latch up in the many years i have done this.

I have always left my preamps and electronic instruments on 24/7 to avoid the recycling of power that can lead to thermal cycling and possible strain on the power supplies, rails, and components that can shorten the life of electronic components. I have never had any equipment latch up in the many years i have done this.
Actually, leaving your electronics powered on all the time has the opposite effect:
Fans will suffer from increased wearout, circuit boards suffer from diffusion and electro-migration.

Also, you should switch it off even if it's only for environmental sake!

Yes this! I don't understand why anyone wants to leave their electronic equipment on all night. Even when I don't use my Axe (or any other gear) for half an hour I turn it off. Energy is too expensive and too valuable to waste.

My usage has rocketed in the last couple of months because of the winter weather etc. It's draining my bank balance dry.

Attachments

• Usage.JPG
    Usage.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 61
This is a little OT, but I've actually installed motion detectors on lamps in my bathroom, kitchen and living room. Now the lights come on when I enter, and shut off a couple minutes after I leave... it's great!

Except when I get up at 3:00am to take a leak, and get blinded when the kitchen and bathroom lights blaze on... :(

But if it's USB why has it just happened since 12.03? Every morning I have to reboot. Something else has changed.

As for the other, I have a recording studio and have had it (them) for many years. I've always left much of the gear on 24/7. There's a debate but it seems most people and engineers I know do the same, including suggestions from several powerful equipment manufacturers of mic preamps, amps etc. This logic may not apply to the Axe Fx, but for me it's just habit. Often times the pull of turning off/on is more of a strain than simply leaving it on. This doesn't so much apply to digital of course, so I'd be curious what Cliff might have to opine about this.

This is actually quite scary...what if you're at a gig and turn it on during setup and don't turn it off, then when your band is up...it pukes...VERY frightening...

I do DPS development work, and this sounds reminiscent of accumulated rounding error that can occur with fixed point processors, especially when left idle. just a thought...

I've had this happen with my Axe as well since I've had it. Sometimes after sitting for a while (certainly not overnight, but sometimes a few hours), I will come back to it and it is locked up. I think it WAS connected via USB to a computer in both cases. I will do an experiment tonight to see if I can reproduce the issue without USB connected.

When I play for our Sunday services my Axe II is powered on at 6:30AM for sound check until our last service which is at 7PM. I end up powering down and packing stuff up around 8:30PM and I've never had any issues. I play almost every week too. Runnin solid!

But if it's USB why has it just happened since 12.03? Every morning I have to reboot. Something else has changed.

As for the other, I have a recording studio and have had it (them) for many years. I've always left much of the gear on 24/7. There's a debate but it seems most people and engineers I know do the same, including suggestions from several powerful equipment manufacturers of mic preamps, amps etc. This logic may not apply to the Axe Fx, but for me it's just habit. Often times the pull of turning off/on is more of a strain than simply leaving it on. This doesn't so much apply to digital of course, so I'd be curious what Cliff might have to opine about this.

Ive been having issues with random malfunctions that ive only noticed when the tuner is on for a while, but i need to test it in normal running mode now as well

Perhaps try creating a fresh, new preset with just shunts and when you're done for the evening switch to that preset, leave it overnight, and see if it's still ok in the morning. Maybe it's something in a preset you're running??

Maybe you need new tubes. jkjk, sorry i just had to make the joke ;)

I have had issues with the usb being plugged in if my computer goes to sleep like yek said, but beyond that im not sure!

Back
Top Bottom