Axe-Fx II - Multiple High Gain Re-Amps

That being said, I still get more thrill out of sitting in front of my Laney GH50L and riffing. That chunk, thump and feel of tone hitting me in the chest is the best feeling ever!

I get all the thump I want by using my Ultra with a ss power amp and speaker cabinet.
More thump than using studio monitors or FR monitor? Yes.

Is it still important when recording? No.
Do I hear more thump listening to recorded real amps than when listening to recorded Axe-Fx tones? No.

I listened to those clips mentioned on the previous page. I've heard far better Axe tones.

I bet it comes down to the very old discussion: don't compare recorded tones to in-the-room tones.

On a separate note, I absolutely love how comprehensive Ultra is when it comes to tweaking. It is both fun and very rarely frustrating as well. Mostly fun.

When it comes to enjoying playing guitar while Mrs Wifey is asleep in the same room, Ultra definitely is the winner. Shes off to her mom's on the weekend so...HELLO FULL ON BALLS TO THE WALLS HELLISM! Good times I tell you. I tried acquiring a II during the initial release " availability mayhem" but I couldn't. I'll get a II next year hopefully. Until then, I don't think Ultra is something that is in any way inferior to II.

I bet it comes down to the very old discussion: don't compare recorded tones to in-the-room tones.
You hit the nail on the head. Comparing in-room sound to recorded sound is pointless...two different animals.

As far as thump goes, I was able to get it at volume with my ultra and I'm able to get it with the axeII. I'm also able to get a very satisfying tone from my studio monitors at low levels. Maybe I'm just more used to recorded tone at this point, since the majority of my playing is in my home studio, but it works for me.

Those who prefer real amps are certainly entitled to their opinions, and I won't bash them, but I've played the fractal products cranked through a PA and they simply rock. I feel and hear it as a player, and I've seen people's jaws drop when they hear it. I'm also able to crank the amp models to 10 and get a ridiculously tubey sound while my wife and kid are sleeping a room away. Good luck doing that with a real amp. ;)

Reactions: yek
Getting good "chug" is simply adding more low-end to the frequency response AFTER the distortion stage. It has nothing to do with tube amp vs Axe-FX. Both are capable of having plenty of "chug".

Solutions if you need more "chug":
1. Choose an IR recipe that has lots of low end. German 4x12 into a R121 mic is just one example that has tons of low end when combined with any of the high gain amps.
2. Or if you're running into a power-amp + guitar cab and for some reason you think your amp sim by itself doesn't have enough "chug" add some low-end via a GEQ or PEQ block (or if you have Axe-FX II just use the PEQ in the amp-sim).

Also, it's probably good to note that what the guitar player hears as "chug" when sitting in the room as the amp is heard by the mixing engineer as low-end mush that interferes with the bass in the mix and will often be high-pass filtered out.

Re-amp = you play and record something once, without amp/cabsimulation, and afterwards you can feed the dry recording into any amp/cab and use the result you like.
Benefit: you only have to record stuff once, and you can experiment freely.

@mitch :

It is Peavey Revalver Mk III.V . :D

I used 6505 > RIR Cabinet > Reverb

Haha....I figured someone would try it on some other modeling products. I've messed with Revalver II in the past and thought it was the best software modeler at the time. Having said that, I recently tried out Revalver III and wasn't as impressed. Maybe my perspective had changed after years with my Axe Ultra....dunno. Either way, it is one hell of a tweakable plugin and you can't beat the convenience factor of a VST.

I love how Mr_You gets bashed for stating his experience and opinions.

Not only that, but its obvious to me that my forum performance has been degraded because of my opinion.

The performance difference is very obvious when you have one browser logged in and one not. Random, obviously bogus, "errors" and slow page loads. I'm well aware of this type of feature for forum software. Since July 14th, I've sent two polite PMs to several moderators requesting this be fixed and either the forum software is automatically ignoring them or the moderators themselves are ignoring them. Since they've gone ignored I have no choice but to warn others.

Pretty poor customer interaction when I've stated several times that I'm still interested in one of these units. Oh well I guess I'll just avoid the forum for now because that is what they want and maybe call them if I have issues when I finally purchase one.

Not only that, but its obvious to me that my forum performance has been degraded because of my opinion....

Dude tone is subjective and you are entitled to your opinion but your last post is complete BS. Go ahead and blame Fractal for your toaster burning your toast while your at it. :roll

Reactions: yek
Dude tone is subjective and you are entitled to your opinion but your last post is complete BS. Go ahead and blame Fractal for your toaster burning your toast while your at it. :roll

Classic!:D Too funny!

"I may not know what's good, but I know what I like!"

Yeah I know tone is subjective but this is issue is not... like I said.. its OBVIOUS when there is a performance difference between being logged in and not. I did some digging and found the tool: Miserable Users Mod

Here is a 3.5 version of the ever popular "miserable users" hack. Basically a way to really annoy anyone you don't want visiting your forum. Based on the original idea & hack for vb2 by Zzed, and the vb3 port by KuraFire.

When classed as miserable, a member suffers ;

1. Slow response (time delay) on every page (20 to 60 seconds default).
2. A chance they will get the "server busy" message (50% by default).
3. A chance that no search facilities will be available (75% by default).
4. A chance they will get redirected to another preset page (25% & homepage by default).
5. A chance they will simply get a blank page (25% by default).
6. Post flood limit increased by a defined factor (10 times by default).
7. If they get past all this okay, then they will be served up their proper page.

Note: All the above options are set in the vBulletin Options.

So what do you say now???

Will I be banned for exposing them? Either way I'm done here for now.

Funny thing is I still want an Axe Fx II, but I have lost a little respect for the business and will probably be contacting them (again) to fix this issue if I need to use the forum to support my unit.

EDIT: BTW, a simple apology and/or fixing the issue will resolve this for me. Even though I've been civilized I won't bother voicing my opinion on tone here.

Last edited:
Yeah I know tone is subjective but this is issue is not... like I said.. its OBVIOUS when there is a performance difference between being logged in and not. I did some digging and found the tool: Miserable Users Mod

So what do you say now???

Will I be banned for exposing them? Either way I'm done here for now.

Funny thing is I still want an Axe Fx II, but I have lost a little respect for the business and will probably be contacting them (again) to fix this issue if I need to use the forum to support my unit.

EDIT: BTW, a simple apology and/or fixing the issue will resolve this for me. Even though I've been civilized I won't bother voicing my opinion on tone here.

I was actually interested in hearing your opinion of tone and hearing your recording so I can judge for myself. Cliff voiced his own opinion on your opinion and respectfully disagreed. Great. Everybody is different. But to assume that you are being singled out and your forum performance is being degraded is bordering paranoia. Is there proof that this is being done to you? Why are you asking for an apology already? I really was looking forward to your recording for comparison of what you are describing as something superior to the modelers but I'm disappointed that the thread is going down like this.

Back
Top Bottom